No announcement yet.

Tinware you'd like to see reproduced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tinware you'd like to see reproduced.

please delete, double post.
    Last edited by ; 05-07-2004, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I'll also second the motion for food cans.
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

how about a good repro of a small fry pan. No too many out there with the hooked handle and riveted to the pan.

Comment

Here you go:
          Stonewall Jackson's Mess Kit

:wink_smil
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by FlemSmythe
            how about a good repro of a small fry pan. No too many out there with the hooked handle and riveted to the pan.
            Got a nice 6" pan from a fellow in Topeka, KS a while back. It has a 14" handle with a 1 1/2" downward hook at the end, attached with two rivets. It is very light weight and has proven its worth to me; makes a fine cornbread and holds a piece of hardtack nicely to soak up the bacon grease.

If you'd like his email address, give me a holler. He also makes larger pans.
            Bernard Biederman
            30th OVI
            Co. B
            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
            Outpost III

Comment

Frank Ellis has us covered well on the fry pans with 7", 9" and 11".

As already mentioned above, would like to see a small coffee pot, matchsafe, spider (not tin but it would be nice to see a good repro), complete officer mess sets, more plate styles.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I realize that you are asking about tinware, but if someone would make the little hat vents that are often seen in original forage caps I would be very happy. All of the originals that I have seen were made of brass, but if someone has a tin one that can be used as a pattern I would buy several for myself and my unit. Brass would be preferable if you can work with it, though. Thomas N. Rachal, 47th NYVI.
                Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

I'd have to agree with both the English mess tin and a good, cheap matchsafe. It'd sure be nice to have one of these without getting ripped off on cheap crap from sutler's row, or having to scour ebay for one that's of the right period.
                  Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

A tinsmith could make a small fortune reproducing a period matchsafe.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I am another who would love to see the forage cap vents. This seems to be a some what popular item, and has no representation in the hobby. I highly doubt it's usefulness, but it is definetly a neat item, and appears to have been a some what normal item.

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355
                        Got a nice 6" pan from a fellow in Topeka, KS a while back. It has a 14" handle with a 1 1/2" downward hook at the end, attached with two rivets. It is very light weight and has proven its worth to me; makes a fine cornbread and holds a piece of hardtack nicely to soak up the bacon grease.

If you'd like his email address, give me a holler. He also makes larger pans.
                        Yes please do send me that e mail address, do you remember the cost of the fry pan?

Comment

I would like to second the mass-produced Federal eating utensils from EOG bar none!

To my knowledge there is NO ONE making sets of these. We are "forced", due to lack of an alternative, to use the period civilian pieces we find here and there, or the combination utensils.

For those seeking an accurate Federal impression this would seem to be one of those must have pieces that none of us has.

Jeffrey Lau

Comment

Originally posted by Amtmann
                            Is there any piece of documentable (private or public collections) and obtainable for inspection :D , tinware that you would like to see reproduced?

Just curious... ;)
                            How about the Sanitary Commission cups which were out there aout 15 years ago? I never got one and would love to get a second chance at one.
                            Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Originally posted by Fenianboy
                              How about the Sanitary Commission cups which were out there aout 15 years ago? I never got one and would love to get a second chance at one.
                              Maurice,

Welcome to the A/C forums. As a side note remember to sign your name to all posts, or use the signature feature. It is the first rule to the forums.
                              In regards to your post, you still can buy a USSC cup. Go to Otter Creek Tinware, and click on "Cups, boilers, and dippers" it is near the bottom of the page. John Peterson makes excellent tinware.

I would personally like to see more Tomatoe can boilers reproduced in a correct fashion.
                              Last edited by theknapsack; 05-09-2004, 08:38 PM.
                              I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                              Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                              Hard Head Mess
                              Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

How about the U S Sanitary Commission cups? I saw them at 125th G-Burg by a fellow from Mass. and regret not buying one then. A full size slide together knife,fork and spoon would be welcomed as well. Bud Scully
                                Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Working...
                                X