Adding straight razor to impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adding straight razor to impression

One other thing to keep in mind when shopping for original 19th c. razors.

Over the life of a razor, it is repeatedly honed at intervals. This honing (sharpening) removes metal every time its done. This causes the edge to recede. As you know, a razor, like a knife, is essentially a sharpened wedge.

When the edge recedes up to the part of the razor where the metal is too thick to support an edge "keen" enough to shave, that razor is -- to use a technical term, "worn-out." :wink_smil

Like many in our hobby, I regularly prowl antique shops, and I've rarely encountered an original 19th c. razor for sale which was not worn-out or darn close to it.

Keep that in mind if you're looking for an original to shave with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson Guards
      Kieth,

Where might we be able to procure an acceptable period razor? Is there anyone out there making ones that would be period correct?
      Comrades,

Back in May of this year, this question was posed. At the time, I had done a limited amount of business with this online retailer out in California and did not yet feel comfortable recommending them to all and sundry here.

Having done a fair amount of business with them now, and having availed myself of several of their services, I feel I can now recommend, without reservation:

Classic Shaving

These folks are knowledgeable, service-oriented and only deal in first-rate goods. For those of you contemplating taking the plunge into the the world of shaving like a Civil War soldier or 19th c. civilian, check out the DOVO razors, particularly the ones with bone, wooden or horn handles.

You probably want to avoid the stainless steel razors, which hold their edge longer and are rust resistant, but post-date our period. Finally, although they all bear tang markings which belie thier modern manufacture, you can remove them with a bit of effort.
      These folks also stock brushes, shaving soaps and strops. In short, a full-service gentlemans tonsorial merchant.

Please also note, I have no financial interest in this firm nor am I positioned to benefit in any way from this personal endorsement. I am simply trying to provide a small service to those among our happy band who wish to give classic shaving a try and do not have a cutler in thier community from whom to purchase a quality razor and other shaving accoutrements.

Once you give it a try, and become accomplished, you'll quickly give-up your "Mach III" or whatever new-fangled shaving tool you're now using. BTW, I hear tell they even have one out now that gives the user a low-grade electrocution while shaving!!! :tounge_sm

Cordially,

Comment

my (soon to be) ex-mother-in-law found a razor stamped Sheffield and with a retailer from KY at a junk (antique) shop for $5. It has a broken plastic handle, but I think I can fix that. So stuff is out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD
          my (soon to be) ex-mother-in-law found a razor stamped Sheffield and with a retailer from KY at a junk (antique) shop for $5. It has a broken plastic handle, but I think I can fix that. So stuff is out there.
          Don,

Be careful. As you've noted, there are no shortage of antique razors out there. I wouldn't recommend trying to shave with them though -- see my previous posts above. An antique with a broken handle could be beyond repair, since, as you know, the handle doubles as an edge guard by protecting the edge from barely visible nicks and dings which ruin razors. All that said, if you simply want to use it as a prop, I'm sure it will do nicely once repaired.

Cordially,

Comment

This place reproduces a selection of period razors and pocket knives with horn grips, though I can't attest to their quality. www.gggodwin.com
            Eric Champigny

Comment

Does anyone make a shaving brush with the bristles TIED to the handle?
              Rick Bailey
              Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Originally posted by echamp6165
                This place reproduces a selection of period razors and pocket knives with horn grips, though I can't attest to their quality. www.gggodwin.com
                At those prices, I'd wager they're Pakistani.

Cordially,

Comment

Keith,
                  I think a prop for now. I can only imagine what I would do to myself trying to shave with it. I can't even use a fountain pen, so this might be beyond my coordination level.

Oh yea, the seller stamp is Cincinatti, not KY -- I thought this was the really kewl part.

Originally posted by K Bartsch
                  Don,

Be careful. As you've noted, there are no shortage of antique razors out there. I wouldn't recommend trying to shave with them though -- see my previous posts above. An antique with a broken handle could be beyond repair, since, as you know, the handle doubles as an edge guard by protecting the edge from barely visible nicks and dings which ruin razors. All that said, if you simply want to use it as a prop, I'm sure it will do nicely once repaired.

Cordially,

Comment

Originally posted by K Bartsch
                    Comrades,

Back in May of this year, this question was posed. At the time, I had done a limited amount of business with this online retailer out in California and did not yet feel comfortable recommending them to all and sundry here.

Having done a fair amount of business with them now, and having availed myself of several of their services, I feel I can now recommend, without reservation:

Classic Shaving

These folks are knowledgeable, service-oriented and only deal in first-rate goods. For those of you contemplating taking the plunge into the the world of shaving like a Civil War soldier or 19th c. civilian, check out the DOVO razors, particularly the ones with bone, wooden or horn handles.

You probably want to avoid the stainless steel razors, which hold their edge longer and are rust resistant, but post-date our period. Finally, although they all bear tang markings which belie thier modern manufacture, you can remove them with a bit of effort.
                    These folks also stock brushes, shaving soaps and strops. In short, a full-service gentlemans tonsorial merchant.

Please also note, I have no financial interest in this firm nor am I positioned to benefit in any way from this personal endorsement. I am simply trying to provide a small service to those among our happy band who wish to give classic shaving a try and do not have a cutler in thier community from whom to purchase a quality razor and other shaving accoutrements.

Once you give it a try, and become accomplished, you'll quickly give-up your "Mach III" or whatever new-fangled shaving tool you're now using. BTW, I hear tell they even have one out now that gives the user a low-grade electrocution while shaving!!! :tounge_sm

Cordially,
                    Folks,
                    I'm informed the link above is not functioning.
                    If so, try:
                    Classic Shaving

Sorry for the bother,
                    Cordially,

Comment

Working...
                    X