Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholics, I need some input

Good evening gentlemen,
    I was curious about what Catholics do about Mass when they attend events? I have been entertaining the idea of attending a campaigner event. I have done mainstream events for a long time. I just leave and attend Mass at a local church for those events. It is to my understanding that this might be difficult at a more immersive event. It is a mortal sin for a Catholic to miss Mass. How do Catholic campaigners handle this? Thank you for your time.

Justin Connor
    Justin Connor

That's an interesting question, how to reconcile modern religious belief with a 19th Century hobby. From the perspective of the forts out here, soldiers simply didn't attend religious services while campaigning, and it was noteworthy when soldiers on detached duty didn't continue on with their duties during Sundays. There were more posts than US Army chaplains. When a post did actually have a chaplain, they held interdenominational services, and attendance depended entirely on whether or not the officers wanted the enlisted to attend. Some officers preferred religious services to be exclusive for the officers and their families and the more respectable civilian employees like contracted doctors, and resented the presence of enlisted men and lower-class civilian employees. Itinerant priests would visit posts as well, but not on a weekly basis (especially in New Mexico, which had a chronic shortage of civilian Catholic priests in the 1860s). The army did not give out leave to people to accommodate their religious beliefs, and I have not heard of accounts of soldiers leaving forts to attend religious services.

Soldiers stationed in towns while maneuvering are another matter entirely. From reading the Peticolas Journal, Sundays were mostly for marching, and officers on neither side distinguished Sunday from any other day of the week. On the rare days when they weren't marching, they had camps or found spare rooms in some of the larger towns, and often had time to explore those towns while waiting for other units to arrive. And some units were specifically assigned to garrison towns and the remains of the supply depots in those towns. The soldiers were also encouraged to go into town to buy food, to relieve pressure on the provision trains, and were given leave to cross the river to El Paso in Mexico for the same reason. On Sundays while in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Franklin, Peticolas mentions exploring the local churches. He does not specify attending services, but he does describe the interiors of church buildings. There were very few Protestant churches in New Mexico at the time. The historical precedence on this side of the Mississippi would say no while campaigning or permanently at forts and maybe/yes when in a semi-permanent camp. I am not Catholic, but the territory is currently 34% Catholic and was much higher 1861-1865. I have never seen people leave events on Sunday mornings to attend Mass or any other religious services (and that includes people I know to be Catholic). But it is a volunteer activity and entirely up to you.
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

From what I have seen and vary limited experienced, campaign style events normally end on Sunday morning to accommodate people that have traveled from a distance. So it would end up as what time the specific event ends and when does the local Catholic Church hold its latest Mass. unfortunately nether am I of the Catholic denomination.
      Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

You are also allowed to miss Mass when it's a physical impossibility to go. As nobody has figured out how to bi locate, I can assure you that being on a battlefield and in a church are not always possible at the same time. I wouldn't sweat this too much. God doesn't care if you miss a weekend for an event, he cares if you rape and murder.
        Jacob "Ned" Nolan
        Mess No. 1

Comment

It is possible. We had someone do it at Missionary Ridge. Difficult, but not impossible. They did it at about 11 am after we marched out. Someone who was authorized to carry out priestly duties was there. Set up a little table. I know how important this is because we had a guy in with us who was really dedicated to going to mass. I respect that, but the reality is in most cases its not possible. Could your priest offer some form of absolution for the event? Hope you can make it work.
          Jason Brown
          Mess No. 1

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. I guess it is something I need to discuss with my priest. If I will have to get absolution to participate in a hobby, I do not think it will be worth it. Being unable to attend Mass would be an uncontrollable event or sickness. Deciding to go to a reenactment knowing that I will not be able to get to Mass is not the same thing. This may be a side of the hobby I will not be able to be involved with. Thanks again gentlemen.

Justin Connor
            Justin Connor

Comment

As a recovering Catholic, I think you are taking a pretty hard line here when such a hard line need not be taken. Talk to your priest. I'd bet that missing a Mass here and there for an event isn't the automatic damnation that you seem to think it is.
              Jacob "Ned" Nolan
              Mess No. 1

Comment

Working...
              X