What the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck?

What the heck is going on in Gettysburg? ANOTHER MONUMENT JUST GOT SMASHED BY A CAR!

I was driving into G-burg last night and the local am radio said the 58th NY (German/Polish unit lead by Col. W. Krzyzanowski in the 11th Corps) was hit by a car. This is like the third damned monument to get hit.

I've been driving all over CW battlefields since I got my licence and I've never seen a monument jump out in front of me, I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy or it's some sort of game people are playing in G-burg.

Personally, I'm a big 11th Corps fan so once I hear of fundraising efforts to fix the monument, I'll most likely lead the charge.

58th's Monument before the crash

PS I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: What the heck?

Chris,
    That's what our country is coming to,"let's see who can care less for history".
    It was most likely some drunk dumba$$ trying to impress other dumba$$es.First the cannon in MO,now this.
    Cullen Smith
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Alcohol (or inattention) + sudden turn in road + dark (or distarction) + speed = accident.

Perhaps it's time to adopt and post a huge fine for damage to historical monuments on national parks...or allow prosecution of these idiots to recover all damages?

Or remove cars from all but the main roads and make our obese population walk or take a tour bus.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

They should make whoever hit the monument pay for it! I agree with Chris on this! Do monuments move? Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Some day this behavior will be the death of me... mark my words. I drive a LOT and SO frequently I'll be passing a car on a 4 lane highway and look over to the car driving next to me and not even see a driver! Closer inspection reveals they are leaning over and fussing with their stereo or trying to plug their cell phone into the jack... I've seen folks putting on makeup, reading newspapers, reaching into the back seat for this or that, disciplining their kids... whatever.

This spring some lady in a Surburban in the oncoming traffic did several 360s went down into the median and came up on the road about 10 feet in front of me (I'm going 70 or so). I saw her face as clearly as I am seeing this computer screen and she was STILL on her cell phone!

Military Parks like Gettysburg need to just close down the driving roads and make people take TRAMs or use bicycles. People need to be forced to pay attention. This is nothing short of a several square mile museum and it needs to be treated with appropriate care.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Must be the drivers up there, I can't recall a monument at Shiloh, which is near where I live, being hit by a car.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Is there anyway that concrete barriers about 1- 2 foot high could be constructed around the memorials to thwart any car assault, either intentional or unintentional? Like concrete planters or protective walls with cannonballs or better yet bayonets pointing outward? Alright I know the bayonets should be at eye level (just kidding). Anyways if you are going to restore the memorial, I would incorporate a high curb or deflection barrier that wouldn't obscure the memorial but, would prevent a low-speed damage. maybe the NPS could grab some Homeland Defense grant money for this under "protective measures", I understand they have done the same thing for many of the monuments in Washington D.C.
              Gregory Deese
              Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
              "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

"PS I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!"

Is there a way to make the preservation folder a giant popup that you have to read before starting another "did US troops wear forage caps" thread?

As far as driving, I think allot of this has to do with cellphones, and people with 4x4s that drive them like a smaller car. I have to say my all time favorite was the girl passing me on the right going 85 mph eathing a bowl of cereal.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

The barriers would ruin the park completely. I have long been an advocate of having people take a "Check-ride" every two years to maintain their drivers license. I strongly believe there are a lot of drivers that do not have the mental capacity to operate a vehicle which is contrary to how a lot of people look at it.

Of course having them pay a fine and repair costs might get their attention.
                  Jim Kindred

Comment

The red finally turned into a photo. Can they ever give the 11th corps a break? I hope the guy didnt spill his beer or miss his call by crashing into our national heritage.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Caltrops...Caltrops

Probably period, wouldn't look like h!!!, and do a job on tires, too!

Ron Myzie

Comment

Re: Caltrops...Caltrops

This is the monument I worry about the most. This statue is so cool, but it's on a fork right on Route 30 and I know one day a milk truck or a tour bus is going to take this guy out!

26th Emergency Pennsylvania Infantry

PS The 58th is the third monument in the last 12 months to get hit (that I know of).
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

"PS The 58th is the third monument in the last 12 months to get hit (that I know of)."

Is it me or has there been a surge in car vs monument accidents in the last few years?
                          Robert Johnson

Comment

Here are the reports on the other accidents (two monuments and a cannon):

Nov 12 2003
                            GETTYSBURG -- An out-of-control sport-utility vehicle veered onto Gettysburg National Military Park, overturned and slid into a 115-year-old Civil War monument, causing serious damage, officials said Thursday.
                            The driver, Laura M. Staub of Gettysburg, said she did not know what caused her to lose control along West Howard Avenue on Wednesday night.
                            "All I remember is putting my brakes on, and the next thing I remember I was on my side," Staub, who was not seriously injured, said.
                            The SUV struck a culvert that caused it to overturn and then slammed into the 74th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument, which was dedicated in 1888, park spokeswoman Katie Lawhon said. The impact broke into three pieces a life-sized granite sculpture of a color bearer holding a regimental flag and separated two stones that made up its foundation.
                            Staub was assessed a $25 fine for failing to maintain control of a vehicle, Lawhon said.

March 3, 2004
                            The driver of a Ford pickup truck collided with a Civil War monument and two granite fence posts on the Gettysburg battlefield at East Cemetery Hill.
                            The driver was travelling northbound on Baltimore Pike and lost control of the vehicle in front of the Evergreen Cemetery. The truck swerved off the east edge of the roadway, continued approximately 150 feet in a northerly direction and struck the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Right Flank Marker and two granite fence posts within Gettysburg National Military Park. The 1887 monument is about 2 feet high, is composed of a zinc alloy cast to resemble carved stone, and was severely damaged. Two granite fence posts were uprooted from their concrete anchors but received minimal damage.
                            The driver had no passengers and was not injured. Preliminary, National Park Service cost estimates for the damage are between $5000 and $10,000, including a complete recasting of the zinc monument which cannot be repaired. Gettysburg Borough Police Department is the investigating agency and charges are pending.
                            This is the third time since October 2003 that a vehicle has struck and damaged a monument or cannon carriage within Gettysburg National Military Park.

OCT 22, 2003
                            GETTYSBURG, Pa. -- A man who lost control of his car faces charges after causing some significant damage to the Gettysburg Battlefield.
                            A car hit a Civil War canon, reducing it to pieces of metal. (pictured, left)
                            "This is a one-of-a-kind object. The cannon carriages were put here by the War Department in the early years of the park. They're about 100 years old. They'll cost at least $10,000, if not close to $13,000 to replace just the cannon carriage," said Katie Lawhon, with the National Park Service.
                            Police said they found a license plate in the rubble and traced it to Charles Kelly, of Emmitsburg, Md. Police have filed charged against him. The fine is only $200, but park officials said they will try to recoup the cost of the cannon from his insurance company.
                            The park service said they had to clean up the debris quickly, because souvenir hunters were taking parts of the cannon.

Comment

Chris,

"An out-of-control sport-utility vehicle"

I see your papers are a lot like the ones down here. The SUV did it, not the dim witted driver. :wink_smil

Is there an average time these accidents occur? If after dark, maybe the solution is a gate.
                              Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                              X