What the heck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the heck?: Follow up

I just rode my bike past the 58th's monument this morning (Sunday about 6am). The damage is minimal. There are hundreds of pieces of glass from the car around the monument and some car parts, but the monument itself isn't too badly damaged, just a chipped corner. If I didn't know there was a crash, I probably would never have noticed.

I do think the park is aware of the problem and has taken some steps to remedy it. Back in 1995 they switched Confederate Avenue from two-way to one-way and they've put up some more caution signs.

In the end, there is no cure for stupidity.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Suggested Solutions

What gets me, and I haven't seen anyone else bring this up, but Gettysburg= Federal property. Damaging a monument on Federal property could be or should be a federal crime.

Any thoughts!
      Aka
      Wm Green :D
      Illegitimi non carborundum
      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Re: What the heck?

In all likelyhood it is against Federal law or regulation. If no charges are filed the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the NPS.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

It would be tough though. There's always the argument that it didn't happen on purpose.

Comment

Paul:

Do they still have the horse back tours of the Gettysburg Battlefield?
            Ley Watson
            POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Ley,

Yes they do. Funny thing happened recently. I haven't read this anywhere but heard it through the grapevine.

The horse trails have recently been redone using stone or pavement. The horses don't like it and are using the grass next to the trail.

So not only did they mess up the trail, but now the horses are using additional battlefield land.

Any locals know about this?
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Karin,

I was at Gettysburg when the 74th PA monument was destroyed (and it was - if you haven't seen the photo posted on this thread, take a look at it - it'll turn your stomach). As it happened, I was scheduled to accompany a friend to meet with the Asst Park Super the following day. He said that the Park always goes after the driver's insurance company. Funds not coming from the driver's insurer come from you and I (the taxpayers pick up the tab), since the money would end up coming from the Park's budget. Some of the monuments have what I guess you could describe as a 'perpetual care trust fund' to cover maintenance and such, but most monuments don't.

Two weeks ago I was standing over by the 9th Mass. Battery monument taking photos, and almost got picked off by a lunatic who must've thought he was at Indianapolis. The residents use the park as - well, a park... you can always see locals pushing baby carriages, riding bikes, roller blading, jogging, and walking their dogs on the roadways. Unfortunately, you can also see a lot of speeding vehicles - trying to get from point A to point B around town is often much easier to do by cutting through the park. (of course while you're doing that you COULD drive the speed limit....)

Don't know if any of this is worth a hill of beans - I just thought I'd pass it along.
                Best regards,

Linda Sanson

Comment

Dear Linda:

It's good to hear that the Park is already tapping the driver's insurance companies, that would take one of the major obstacles out of getting state legislation passed.

Seems like people are going to drive the way they want to, when and where they want to. As Chris said, "No cure for stupidity."

Karin Timour
                  Period Knitting -- Socks, Camp Hats, Balaclavas
                  Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                  Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

What the heck? A news summary

From the Hanover, PA Evening Sun

Five memorials at the G'burg National Military Park have been struck
                    in the past seven months

By ERIN NEGLEY
                    Evening Sun Reporter

Preservation workers reset the base stone of a Gettysburg National
                    Military Park monument Wednesday that was damaged last year by a
                    sport-utility vehicle. They also took away the monument's damaged
                    statue for a tedious repair job * the same day a driver struck another
                    monument on Howard Avenue.

And Tuesday, a Central Dauphin school bus that was on a field trip
                    partially pushed another marker out of the ground.

Errant drivers damaged five memorials in the national park in the past
                    seven months.

Wednesday, Janet L. Tippen, of Fairfield, was driving a 2003 Mazda
                    east on Howard Avenue at 11:08 a.m., when she failed to negotiate a
                    curve, traveled off the road and struck the 58th New York Infantry
                    monument, according to National Park Service spokeswoman Katie Lawhon.

"It was moved slightly on its base, not completely from its base,"
                    Lawhon said.

The Mazda sustained major front-end damage.

Tippen was treated and released at Gettysburg Hospital, according to a
                    hospital spokeswoman.

Tuesday, around 9:50 a.m., Roger Slaughter, of Harrisburg, struck the
                    76th New York Right Flank marker as he tried to turn his school bus
                    around at the intersection of Reynolds and Buford avenues, according
                    to Lawhon. There were no injuries and the park service issued
                    Slaughter a violation notice for unsafe operation of the vehicle.

The crash partially pushed the marker from the ground.

The park service does not have damage estimates for the monuments. The
                    restoration or replacement of the monuments will be paid by the
                    drivers' insurance companies, Lawhon said.

The park service is working to return a cannon and carriage, a marker
                    and a statue to the battlefield after vehicles damaged those memorials
                    over the last seven months.

In March, a pickup truck struck the 4th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Right
                    Flank marker, causing severe damage. Casting a new marker will cost
                    $15,000 to $20,000, Lawhon said. No time has been set for when the
                    monument will be replaced.

The preceding November, a sport-utility vehicle hit the 74th
                    Pennsylvania Infantry monument. A company was awarded a $42,000
                    contract * paid by the driver's insurance company * to repair the
                    monument.

Wednesday, preservation workers reset the base stone and took away the
                    life-sized granite sculpture atop the monument for off-site
                    restoration. The company should complete the work within 60 days,
                    Lawhon said.

And last October, a vehicle wrecked a historic cannon and cast iron
                    carriage honoring the Battery E of the First Rhode Island Light
                    Artillery. The $10,000 carriage will be replaced later this month,
                    Lawhon said.

Contact Erin Negley at enegley@eveningsun.com
                    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

Re: What the heck? A news summary

Thanks Matt, that sums it all up!

BTW: I was at the park the day after the cannon crash looking at some uniforms. The 'accident' was actually a hit and run as the guy fled the scene.

Q: Do you want to know how they found him?

A: When he crashed into the cannon his front licence plate got jammed into the cannon's carriage. When he backed up to make his escape he left it there. What a moron!
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X