CWDD: Why Collect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWDD: Why Collect?

In this episode, Will travels to Tennessee to talk with Matt Woodburn. He probably does not need much of an introduction here on the AC. But just in case, Matt is a long-time collector of Civil War originals and a veteran living historian. This story is less about the what of collecting and more about the “why.” Join us as Will interviews Matt about what got him hooked on collecting and why he is passionate about it. Thanks to Matt, CWDD will bring you episodes in the future based out of his collection. Today, let’s meet the man behind the collection!

Vol. V, Episode 13 Why Collect?

Civil War Digital Digest is supported by viewers like you! Check out Patreon and see how you can be a Coffee Grinder!

Want to show off your interest in history and Civil War Digital Digest? Check out the store for shirts, drinking ware, and more.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-20-2019, 06:01 PM.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: CWDD: Why Collect?

I think collecting goes hand in hand with reenacting. Certain battles, units, etc. always make me want to have something associated with it. I picked up a casted block I button earlier this year that isn't particularly expensive, but it was found on the Columbia Turnpike in Tennessee.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Re: CWDD: Why Collect?

Excellent topic and video.

Watching this reminded me so much of Matt's generosity to share his collection. Back in 2010 we held the Cavalry Camp of Instruction at Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN. We had over 80 troopers from all over the country and over the three day event mixed drill and soldier duties with 16 instructional sessions on various topics. Matt was kind enough to bring a large portion of his revolver collection which contains some of the rarest of pieces imaginable. Many we had never seen even in museums. He not only discussed them and their significance but he also let the attendees pick them up and handle! It was a highlight of the weekend and I will forever be indebted to Matt for doing this.

Below are photos of Matt displaying his collection on the famous back porch of the Carnton house. Also, a photo of Matt, Ken Knopp and myself. holding some of the revolvers.

Thank you, Matt!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	COI 2010 R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	225656

Click image for larger version

Name:	COI 2010 Q.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	225655
      J. Mark Choate