Name:	IMG_20190912_153628365.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	232878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190912_165148986.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	232879

Bought this cheap. Watch seems to be passable for ACW. What about the chain?
    Jacob "Ned" Nolan
    Mess No. 1

Re: Anyone know about pocket watches?

That definitely looks like a 20th century watch chain.
    Michael Semann
    AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

I haven't posted here in a while, but my friend, George Taggart, is a CW watch aficionado. PM him on this site (he isn't on FB) and hopefully he will get back to you; I have two CW-era pocket watches that he has helped me research.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

I'm going to ditch the chain (probably use it on my more modern watch) and use a piece of string or leather until I find a better chain.
        Jacob "Ned" Nolan
        Mess No. 1

Comment

That was my thinking, too. I just wanted to confirm.
          Jacob "Ned" Nolan
          Mess No. 1

Comment

For me, it's hard to make a perfect choice. I have been collecting watches for years and have seen many different styles. The most important thing is finding something that suits your personality and style. I am a big fan of classic watches, but nowadays, there are many stylish ones, and it's hard to make a perfect choice. So I decided to share my favorite watch, which is an Omega one. The most important thing is to keep it in a safe place while traveling, so I bought a watch winder that is so sick and stylish.
            Last edited by IceOneBro; 08-10-2022, 03:46 AM.
            Alexander Dena

Comment

I know how hard it is to find CW era watch chains. I have somewhat given up for a while and will also be using a leather strap of some sort. I have two decent key wind watches that keep good time and an additional five others that need work. Also have a few stem wind watches, but they are all post CW era.
              Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
              20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
              Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
              Army of the Potomac

Comment

Guys,
                The subject of Civil War watches is a fascinating one. Unfortunately, original examples are generally expansive and unless already working costly to service and/or repair. For those who really want to learn more about the subject, including what is authentic in watches common during the war, Dr. Clint Geller has written the definitive work on the subject which I personally recommend (Geller, Clint B., The Appreciation and Authentication of Civil War Timepieces, Columbia, PA (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, 2019). It is available on Amazon or can be ordered through the NAWCC bookstore and costs under $40. Chocked full of information about these timepieces, as well as a ton of pictures, it mainly focuses on American made examples but does cover ones from the other principal sources, England and Switzerland. Geller's work is also an excellent exercise in exploring the overall period context of these objects and how they related to the soldiers that owned them.

For the living historian, reenactor or Civil War enthusiast looking to acquire a "correct" pocket timepiece, knowing the physical characteristics (types of movements, kinds of cases, dial designs and signatures, etc.) allows one to search for watches which aren't necessarily made in the period before or during the Civil War but may be much more affordable. Geller's book is IMHO a good place to start that process.

Dick Milstead
                The Company of Military Historians
                Liberty Rifles
                Richard Milstead

Comment

Originally posted by rmilstead View Post
                  Guys,
                  The subject of Civil War watches is a fascinating one. Unfortunately, original examples are generally expansive and unless already working costly to service and/or repair. For those who really want to learn more about the subject, including what is authentic in watches common during the war, Dr. Clint Geller has written the definitive work on the subject which I personally recommend (Geller, Clint B., The Appreciation and Authentication of Civil War Timepieces, Columbia, PA (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, 2019). It is available on Amazon or can be ordered through the NAWCC bookstore and costs under $40. Chocked full of information about these timepieces, as well as a ton of pictures, it mainly focuses on American made examples but does cover ones from the other principal sources, England and Switzerland. Geller's work is also an excellent exercise in exploring the overall period context of these objects and how they related to the soldiers that owned them.

For the living historian, reenactor or Civil War enthusiast looking to acquire a "correct" pocket timepiece, knowing the physical characteristics (types of movements, kinds of cases, dial designs and signatures, etc.) allows one to search for watches which aren't necessarily made in the period before or during the Civil War but may be much more affordable. Geller's book is IMHO a good place to start that process.

Dick Milstead
                  The Company of Military Historians
                  Liberty Rifles
                  Hello,

My apologies for resurrecting this thread. Life at times can take us from important information platforms such as this. I want to also thank my good friend, Ivan for the helpful post about pocket watches.

My first pocket watch was purchased about ten years ago. The desire for having a “working” timepiece I’ve had for years. My search for this quickly revealed how expensive owning a war time watch would be. Further research tells of certain characteristics of post war watches were the same. Size, and dial features being the most obvious. This made my first purchase a post war Elgin maker “National Watch Co.” 18 size open face pocket watch. The eBay purchase it was proved great for about three months and it quit running. Dissatisfied with the purchase was motivation to figure this thing out and resurrect it if possible. Since that time I’ve learned a bit about early American made pocket watches. I’ve read books by well known watchmakers and admit there’s a lot out there on YouTube about the maintenance and repairs for them. I confess I’m NOT a master watchmaker, but each and every movement across the workbench is increasing my success rate with every one of them. My wish is to save as many of these treasures from our past as possible. I’m not out for making big bucks at this. The time it takes for a proper service/ restoration makes that impossible to price. I offer an option for affordable repairs and service on American made pocket watches.

Cheers.
                  George Taggart
                  George Taggart

Comment

Working...
                  X