Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp furniture from boxes and scrap wood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp furniture from boxes and scrap wood.

After reading a few threads on camp furniture I was able to find an answer. Has anyone seen documentation of soldier made camp furniture made from ammo crates, hard bread boxes or any other scrap wood? My thought is to make a stool from an ammo crate and a table from a hard bread box using only the wood, nails and screws from them.

Sean Smart
    Sean Smart

Great Grandfather x3
    Private Robert W. Polsley 1st Nebraska Volunteer Infantry.

Re: Camp furniture from boxes and scrap wood.

I seem to recall - years ago - that when MG Korpal assumed command at Fort Sill (1985-ish), his wife wanted their quarters furnished with the furniture that the first post commandant had. I guess she thought they would be period antiques. As it turned out, the post carpenter(s), in 1869, had knocked together some tables/chairs from various crates, etc. Curiously, Mrs. Korpal opted to go with more modern furnishings.

Two things: the Fort Sill Museum may be able to give you some documentation concerning packing crate furniture. The other thing is (and I'm not being mean), why not just use the boxes and crates themselves as a stool and table; assuming, of course that you're not doing a garrison impression?
    James Brenner

Comment

'morning,

For winter quarters, there is plenty of documentation of soldiers using crates and boxes as foundations for tables, stools, etc. Among other sources, Hardtack and Coffee has both descriptions and some illustrations, if I remember correctly. I believe that I've seen some in various LoC photos as well, but I don't have them at hand.

Best of luck in this project, be interested in seeing some photos of your results.

Mike
      Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
      www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
      http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s. I will see if I can get any info from Ft. Sill.
        James, I didn’t think it mean, I have considered using the boxes alone. The unit I’m with is very mainstream and I’m trying not to use the camp furniture that is the norm. I’ve just started on my adventure with reenacting but am trying to use A.C. as my own authenticity standard. While serving in the Army we did on occasion use wooden pallets to make chairs benches and tables.
        Mike, I will post photos when I’ve got something built.
        Sean Smart
        Sean Smart

Great Grandfather x3

Comment

John Henry Otto in the trenches outside Atlanta, August 1864:

"It was an unavoidable duty for every Comp. Commander to write at the end of every month 3 copies of Muster and payrolls of the Comp. as allso the camp and garrison equipage and Clothing Account with the Genl. Quartermaster Department at Washington, the Ordonance return etc. At the end of June and July we had been so busy with tending to the rebs that we even did not get time to open the valises much less to wr[i]te. So as soon as possible I set to work. Of boards from bacon and craker boxes I made an excellent table, not counting it[s] shaking qualities. During the afternoon, I was nearly ready with one muster roll, the Johnnies got into a fit of throwing bullets over the works. I had put up a shelter tent to write under shade. A bullet bored through the canvass, upset my patent inkstand and spilt its last drop on the finished payroll. It was a spent bullet; it did not even roll from the table. If it had struck me on the back instead of on the inkstand, I might have straightened up a little, but I would have kept my temper under controll; as it was I fear I did not..."

Allen Morgan Greer in DC, July 1865: "I go up to Battery Smeade to procure a box for a Co. desk..."
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Thanks! That’s a nice first person account.
            Sean Smart

Great Grandfather x3

Comment

Here's some officers from the 36th Illinois that were at Camp Harker, TN in June of 1865. You'll notice a barrel that was cut and had slats put in for a seat and back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	34179v.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	225692

Click image for larger version

Name:	5801780_2052662201457269_3869642916674666496_n-jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	225693
              Mark Krausz
              William L. Campbell
              Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
              Old Northwest Volunteers
              Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Very nice photographs. Thanks!
                Sean Smart

Great Grandfather x3

Comment

Working...
                X