Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Army of the Republic Reproductions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Army of the Republic Reproductions...

Greetings,
    I was wondering if anyone out there was manufacturing and/or selling reproduction GAR buttons, insiginia, and badges for authentic historic interpretive programming?
    Thank you,
    Darrek Orwig

Re: Grand Army of the Republic Reproductions...

Darrek,

I've not seen any repro GAR membership badges or buttons but original buttons and hat badges are not diffucult to find or especially expensive. With some careful shopping around you can buy original (Type V) membership badges for $50 or less.

I made a lucky find at a garage sale and paid $2 for a cigar box full of old buttons that included 9 coat size and 8 sleeve size GAR buttons.

Good hunting!

Mike Nugent

Comment

I have seen GAR badges go for about $50-150 on some of the relic dealers, but no reproduction that I know of.
      Last edited by ; 05-18-2004, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Our unit does a GAR immpression. Most of the lads purchased actual GAR membership medals and buttons as well as lapel pins and ribbon bars. They are still out there and are rather cheap although they are becomming increasingly collectible. I searched a year or so ago for repro buttons. All that I found available was replacement ribbon for the medals.

Rob Walker
        Co. H 119th NYSV
        Rob Walker
        Co. H
        119th NYSV
        Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

Okay... I'll bite. Why reenact the GAR?

James A. Page
          Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
          1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Comment

Fellers,
            Thanks for your assistance regarding sources and ideas for obtaining GAR material culture. Currently the museum in which I work is planning to do some 1870's GAR interpretative programing to show an example of a post rebellion veterans association to our patrons. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
            Darrek Orwig
            ddorwig@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by James A. Page
              Okay... I'll bite. Why reenact the GAR?

James A. Page
              Comrade,
              Well, there are a number of excellent reasons for recreating the GAR. First off, it gives us older fellows and greybeards something to do without all you pesky young critters hanging around and complaining about older folks, grey hair and expanding waistlines. For once we have somewhere to reenact where young and trim is the exception:)
              Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it gives us a whole new venue of interpretive history at the Battlefield parks. With my "veteran" GAR impression, I can now go into Gettysburg, or Antietam or wherever, and talk to the public about what my old battalion did. I can walk around the monuments and talk about why they're in the wrong place and why those dammned 232nd Californians ought NOT to have their monument where it is since they were too busy skeddadling to the rear, and so forth. In other words, i can BE a CW Veteran and not be out of place with all the monuments and plaques and tourists. To top it off, it sure makes it easier to pull off the impression, especially with kids, since many of them have seen images of the old fellows walking around these same monuments. That willing suspension of disbelief, etc. If you know the unit history really well, then it's easy to do a first person as a veteran touring the old battlefield.
              Thirdly, you only need yourself and a couple of pards to do it up right, especially if one or more is of the other "persuasion" and you and they can get into a debate about who was where and who whipped who when. You can even continue the impression in town over dinner and drinks. It makes for extrememly interesting theater, especially if one can comfortable stay in character and is good at extemp.
              The GAR and the UCV offer so many possibilities for further research and portrayals. After all, the war was still fought on paper and in debate halls for many many years after the shooting stopped. No reason why we shouldn't take advantage of that avenue as well, especially as we accumulate so much knowledge. Why let it go to waste?
              Respects to All
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Well, It wasnt really living history, but I was married at G.A.R. Post 11. Joe Hooker, Alameda CA.

I find the GAR very facinating, especialy since some many vets moved out here after the war and built this area. We do not have any battlefields out here, but you cannot go to a park or down Main St California without seeing a GAR bench.
                Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Last time I was in there, Regimental Quartermaster had a mother-lode of original and inexpensive GAR buttons in a box on the floor under the rifle racks. I made a mental note of that in case I ever decide to do that impression, but I think I have a few years to go still, so I might as well share the source..
                  Marc A. Hermann
                  Liberty Rifles.
                  MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                  Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
                  X