Coffee Pot Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Pot Repair

My coffee pot spout got a little warm at missionary and developed a leak. It seems the solder is gone from the bottom of the spout, so pouring coffee yields leaked coffee from where the spout meets the body of the pot. Can I just resolder this? Seems like regular solder might be too full of the lead to make that a wise choice.
    Jacob "Ned" Nolan
    Mess No. 1

Re: Coffee Pot Repair

What kind of soldering experience do you have? This is DIY doable but will be easier if you have already done some soldering.

You want to use leadless solder as is used for plumbing/copper pipes available at most hardware or home stores like Home Depot. (97-98% Tin and 3-2% Antimony. Avoid the solder mix that has some copper in it, it has a higher melting point and does not solder so cleanly. - FYI, 60/40 [60% tin, 40% lead solders like a charm. If you are repairing something that will not come in contact with food or beverage - like a lantern - I would recommend using that.]) Before soldering I would touch up the area immediately in the area of the repair with steel wool or a stainless scouring pad so that the metal there is bright clean but try to limit your polishing to about 1/4 - 3/8" on both sides of the seam. Flux the area where you want to solder. (Zinc chloride in paste form should work - one brand name is No-Corode. You should not need a more aggressive flux like muriatic acid but for resoldering a piece that has been used a rosin flux [for electrical components] might not be aggressive enough.)

Are you using a torch? A soldering gun (as used for electronics) or a soldering iron? If I was doing this job I would use my mini butane torch, no waiting for the tip to heat up and concentrated heat, but if you are not used to using a torch it might be too much heat to deal with. After fluxing apply heat to the area where you want to repair. BE CAREFUL TO KEEP THE HEAT IN THE REPAIR AREA AND NOT TO HEAT THE ENTIRE SPOUT OR THE WHOLE SPOUT WILL BECOME UNSOLDERED!!!!! Once the flux is sizzling you will also see the old solder turn bright silver. Gently feed the tip of the solder wire to the area and it should neatly flow into place. You will be surprised how little it takes and to quote the old maxim, "Less is more." Another strategy would be to clip a bead (less than 1/4") of solder from the end of the wire and position it where the repair should be (without burning your fingers) and apply heat again.

I am currently recovering from major heart surgery so I am not planning on being in my shop until summerish but if you are within easy distance of Brandon, Vermont you can come by my house and I will make you lunch and repair your coffee pot for you. Only charge is some chin music and socializing, talking about the good times in wool and underneath canvas.

I don't check in here so often anymore but message me if you have any questions or to let me know how it goes for you.

John P
    John Peterson

Comment

Re: Coffee Pot Repair

John, thank you. That was a thorough tutorial. I have soldered a few times in my life. I am not a master tin smith, but I know how to operate the tools. Honestly, gun, torch, or iron is a variable, as I own none of those but would love an excuse to purchase one.

Unfortunately, I live in OH, so a trip to VT for a conversation, coffee, and soldering isn't probably practical. I hope to catch you in the field though. Thanks, again.
      Jacob "Ned" Nolan
      Mess No. 1

Comment

Working...
      X