Heel Plate Installation Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel Plate Installation Issue

Hey all, having an issue with sizing of heel plates on a pair of size 12 quality federal brogans. The large size plates are to large by far, and extend off of the heel on all sides. I also have a small size pair of plates, but even those protrude out from the sides. Any remedies for this issue, or possibly a known place to find other size options of plates ? Few pics are attached showing each. Thanks ! Any assistance is appreciated

Click image for larger version

Name:	F58B6692-C4BA-4981-9152-68BE6422D193.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	233123Click image for larger version

Name:	F58B6692-C4BA-4981-9152-68BE6422D193.jpeg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	233123

Click image for larger version

Name:	09318668-363D-4DEC-92D5-B1F0EF28B818.jpeg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	233124
    Attached Files
    Ray Houston
    Alton Jaeger Guards

Re: Heel plate installation issue

Ray,

You may try shaping the plates to better match the heels of your shoes. This may involve bending or filing the plate to match the outside curve of the heel.
    -Brian Jankowski
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Respectfully, both plates have way to much material to file. If you wanted to remove material I would go with a sander. But you need to be very careful if you have never done this before.

Depending on the gauge material, shaping would be more trouble than its worth.

Do you know anyone who is an experienced metal fabricator or works in a fabrication shop? Better yet, if you have a local fabrication shop with a laser or water jet, see if they will cut a few sets for you.
      Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Are those plates from the same person who hobbled the brogans? Since you have a large pair and a smaller pair, I suspect not. For the time and trouble it would take to get them cut down by someone, it might be easier to call your hobbler or another quality hobbler and purchase some which fit.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

You could look for a blacksmith that could do some shaping on them. There is probably a blacksmith group you could find if not sure.

Let’s keep things to period appropriate methods so we can learn how they handled things. Not just the soldier viewpoint but also the civilians and trades.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks guys, yes re-shaping the smaller pair might be the good option. Silas you are correct, not from the same vendor ( he had none and would be unable to get any for the time being). If anyone knows another vendor that might have more size options or that can maybe make some I’m all ears ! I’ll have to try to bend these slightly anyways to get them flush with the heel , as they are not right now.
            Ray Houston
            Alton Jaeger Guards

Comment

Re: Heel Plate Installation Issue

Found the solution ...... I remembered that there is a local guy that runs a period forge and has a blacksmith business. Going along with what Jeremy here suggested, I’m going to his shop in a few weeks and he is going to bend-reshape them. Other option he gave was to send him a heel tracing. Either way he’s gonna get it done right. Thanks for the replies and advice !
              Ray Houston
              Alton Jaeger Guards

Comment

Glad you found a period solution! Let us know how it turns out.
                -Brian Jankowski
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Will do ! He says super easy for him
                  Ray Houston
                  Alton Jaeger Guards

Comment

When you go to mount them, consider having them reset INTO the heel. Much more authentic, and helps both strengthen the heel and keeps it from wearing down unevenly.
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                    X