Tart Dark Blue Uniform Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tart Dark Blue Uniform Cloth

I was wondering if anyone has purchased Tart Textiles Dark Blue Uniform Cloth. Thoughts? Is it correct? Good feel? Good weight? Correct color (no purple)? I'm constructing a Federal enlisted frock coat. I've constructed some in the past using W&W fabric(currently unavailable) and W Booth Draper(15oz wool is out of stock).
    Sterling Olsen

Re: Tart Dark Blue Uniform Cloth

Ben makes great stuff. I have used many of his textiles for a variety of projects and and like his products.

If you are in doubt I recommend you get a swatch card from him.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

I have a swatch of the uniform cloth from Ben. It's very comparable to the stuff from Booth. Its very tightly woven and looks like it would hold a cut edge, has a very smooth hand, no wale, and the color is so dark it's almost black. I'd post a picture, but its about impossible to capture the true color with a camera.
      Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Hi,
        While I haven't actually used Ben's material on any project, I have seen and handled it while visiting his shop. It is a reasonable alternative to the last batch of Wambaugh and White dark blue kersey which I have used for several projects although it is broadcloth not kersey as was originally specified for Federal enlisted uniform coats. The only source (I know of) for dark blue kersey today is the Kochan & Phillips material offered by Roy Najecki. That stuff is awesome but about twice the price of Ben's fabric and, if similar to the sky blue kersey he also offers, narrow (50" usable width) since it is produced in the UK. One other point, Tart does not produce that material himself but only retails it. I do not actually know where he obtains it.

Dick Milstead
        Company of Military Historians
        Hardaway's Alabama Battery
        Liberty Rifles
        Richard Milstead

Comment

Working...
        X