Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antietam Elliott Map

Ladies and Gents-

I have been rather side tracked with all that has been going on as late but jumped on to see if anyone had posted or commented on the recently discovered Elliott Map of Antietam. I did a couple of searches here and did not find any reference to it. I am assuming I am not the first to see it. What I am referring to is apparently some researchers came across a battlefield burial map for Antietam made by S.G Elliott very similar to the one that he made for the Gettysburg burials. I have been meaning to look it over but have only started to do so today. To say the Gettysburg or this newly found Antietam burial map are complete and the last word would be naive. However being that they were both produced very soon after the battles their significance can not be under stated. As these maps give us a better perspective on where both Union and Confederate soldiers were actually buried after the battle. This can potentially give insight into where some of the missing are laid to rest yet today.

Of particular interest is that the map specifically names the burial places of over 50 individual soldiers (I read this somewhere but can not find the source presently-) One that jumped out for me immediately was that area which marked the burial of Pvt. John Marshall, of the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry. His burial was made famous by Alexander Gardner having taken a photo of Pvt. Marshall's solitary grave marker just a couple of days after the battle near a lone tree. From there William Frassanito found the exact spot for his book on Antietam.

Library of Congress High Resolution picture of John Marshall's grave;

High resolution copy available with zoom capability of the Antietam Elliott Map

One of hundreds of thousands of free digital items from The New York Public Library.

Taken from the American Battlefield Trust Website;

The S. G. Elliott Burial Map for the Antietam Battlefield
    The S.G. Elliott burial map for the Antietam battlefield was created by Simon G. Elliott in 1864. Elliott documented the burials of 5,844 soldiers—2,634 Union and 3,210 Confederate. The burials of some 269 horses and the position of 152 cannons are also noted on the map. The map was discovered by Timothy Smith and Andrew Dalton of the Adams County Historical Society, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry
Working...
X