Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The E.C.N. Green jacket

Folks-

I've been doing a small bit of research on Confederate chevrons.

In Les Jensen's book, Johnny Reb, The Uniform of the Confederate Army, 1861-1865 on page 54 there is a great picture of the E.C.N. Green jacket. It’s a privately made garment that is a copy of the RD I jacket. According to the caption, the photo is credited to the North Carolina Museum of History.

Has anybody seen the jacket in person that could enlighten us as to what color the trim and chevrons are?

I appreciate your time. Thanks!

Matt Crouch
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Re: The E.C.N. Green jacket

According to Les Jensen's article "Confederate Issue Jackets, Part 2" http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-2.htm

The Green jacket is described as:

The jacket in question was worn by Sergeant E.C.N. Green of the 47th North Carolina State Troops, who was killed 1 July 1863 at Gettysburg (FIG 7). Sergeant Green's jacket is made of a very fine quality cadet gray cloth, and is lined in light brown silesia in the body and light blue cotton in the sleeves. It is trimmed around the collar, on the edges of the shoulder straps and at the cuffs with 1/4" dark blue cotton tape. It has eight large script "I" buttons down the front manufactured by S. Isaacs and Campbell, two small buttons of the same type at the shoulder straps, and two at each non­functioning cuff. There are no belt loops. Sergeant Green's chevrons have been separately applied, each stripe being made of 1/2" wide black velvet. The ends of the chevrons extend into the sleeve seam, indicating they were put on before the sleeves were closed. 51

51 Collection No. 21.10.2., North Carolina Division of Archives & History, Raleigh

Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Artifact Description: BLUE-GREY SHELL JACKET, DARK BLUE PIPING, DARK BLUE SGT'S CHEVRONS ON SLEEVES, CSA "I" BUTTONS.
      Access#: 1921.10.2
      Artifact Class: CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
      Associations: --GREEN, E. C. N./USED BY --CIVIL WAR --47TH REGIMENT,NC TROOPS/ASSOCIATED WITH --S. ISAAC, CAMPBELL & COMPANY\MAKER
      Dimensions:
      Materials: WOOL -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
      Date Made: 1861-1863
      Place Made:
      Place Used: CSA

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/vfp...ABASE=69576008,
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

I wonder why the discrepancy between Mr. Jensen's description of the color of the Sergeant's stripes and the museum record's description?

An additional detail: It seems that, on this jacket, the cuff trim does not extend into the seam, but rather is applied to the sleeve after the sleeve is made up. I know that this jacket is purported to be a "tailor's copy" of what was being manufactured by the government clothing establishment in Richmond and I know that no government manufactured jackets of the "Type I" description are believed to have survived. Based on photographic evidence does it appear as if the government manufacture jackets have the same cuff treatment or does the cuff trim on the government jackets extend into the seams? This has always been a question of mine which I never could adaquately answer.
        Brian Koenig
        SGLHA
        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Brian and Ryan

Thanks so much for the information and photo! The sad part is that I have the Jensen article bookmarked: :embaresse lesson learned.

Brian, I will try to hunt out the 1861 Harpers Ferry provost paperwork and bring it with me to HF. I'll make you a copies of what I have and give it to you there.

Matt Crouch

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

Based on photographic evidence does it appear as if the government manufacture jackets have the same cuff treatment or does the cuff trim on the government jackets extend into the seams? This has always been a question of mine which I never could adaquately answer.[/QUOTE]

Since the RD NCO jackets had their chevrons applied during construction, (which made for a neat appearance as the chevron tape extended in to the seam) you would think that the trim would get the same treatment.

Looking at the other RD I examples in Jensen's book, I'm unable to tell what treatment the cuff trim does at the seam. Good question though.

Matt Crouch

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson Guards
              I wonder why the discrepancy between Mr. Jensen's description of the color of the Sergeant's stripes and the museum record's description?

An additional detail: It seems that, on this jacket, the cuff trim does not extend into the seam, but rather is applied to the sleeve after the sleeve is made up. I know that this jacket is purported to be a "tailor's copy" of what was being manufactured by the government clothing establishment in Richmond and I know that no government manufactured jackets of the "Type I" description are believed to have survived. Based on photographic evidence does it appear as if the government manufacture jackets have the same cuff treatment or does the cuff trim on the government jackets extend into the seams? This has always been a question of mine which I never could adaquately answer.
              Why the discrepancy? Simple. The NC Museum of History is notorious for improper descriptions and even poorer record of correcting them.

One bit of evidence for the color is North Carolina's 1861 Uniform Warrants prescribed black trim for infantry.

Special Requisition, "Form 40" items were available from the QM trimmed for infantry or artillery. I have read that many of the Form 40 requests were farmed out to private cutting houses and tailors.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
              X