Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been hacked...

Fellows,

I have recently been hacked into on my AOL Instant Messenger program. Someone has taken over my screen name and is conversing with my BuddyList, including my immediate family. Of course I am trying to remedy this issue as soon as possible.

If you have recieved a message on AOL from "HardeeHat" in recent days please note that it was not me and that I apologize for any inconvienence it may have caused.

I am also withdrawing this screen-name from my ACF profile.

Sincerely,

Ryan B. Weddle

p.s. I feel like one of those CitiBank Identity Theft Commercials?!!
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Re: I've been hacked...

Have you considered prosecution for identity theft? This may be a low-level thing, but the hacker's ISP really needs to be notified; if the hacker will impersonate you to family, what's to stop him trying to grab credit information, etc? The hacker needs his internet access stopped, and the ISP doesn't want the liability of having an identity theif on their service.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark
      Have you considered prosecution for identity theft? This may be a low-level thing, but the hacker's ISP really needs to be notified; if the hacker will impersonate you to family, what's to stop him trying to grab credit information, etc? The hacker needs his internet access stopped, and the ISP doesn't want the liability of having an identity theif on their service.

How would one find out that ISP ?
      Ryan B.Weddle

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

Comment

Perhaps you are a vicitm of this:

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/411039|top|06-23-2004::19:25|reuters.html

US Charges AOL Worker Sold Customer List for Spam

Jun 23, 7:08 PM (ET)

By Andy Sullivan
        WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. investigators said on Wednesday they had arrested an America Online employee and a Las Vegas marketer for stealing the Internet provider's customer list and selling it to a purveyor of "spam" e-mail.

AOL members were flooded with millions of unwanted messages because of the scheme, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. district court in New York.

Jason Smathers of Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, was charged with stealing a list of 92 million AOL customer screen names and selling them to Internet marketer Sean Dunaway of Las Vegas.

Dunaway, who has also been arrested, used the list to promote his online gambling operation and sold it to other spammers, U.S. attorney David Kelley said in a statement.

Both men face up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000 under a national anti-spam law. Neither could be immediately reached for comment.

Working as an engineer in AOL's Dulles, Virginia, headquarters, Smathers, 24, was able to access screen names, zip codes and credit-card types, though not credit-card numbers, of the company's 30 million customers, the complaint said.

A search of Smathers' laptop computer showed he had discussed ways to spam AOL members in April 2003, investigators said.

Dunaway, 21, sold the list to other marketers for $52,000 in May or June 2003, and sold an updated version in March 2004 for $32,000, the complaint said.

Dunaway paid Smathers $100,000 for the updated list, the complaint said. The complaint did not say how much Dunaway paid for the original list.

AOL said it discovered the activity during a spam investigation earlier this year. Smathers has been fired, the company said.

"We deeply regret what has taken place and are thoroughly reviewing and strengthening our internal procedures as a result of this investigation and arrest," the company said in a statement.

Spam now accounts for up to 83 percent of all e-mail, frustrating consumers and costing businesses billions in lost productivity and wasted bandwidth.

U.S. authorities arrested four Michigan residents in April and shut down their marketing operation, charging them with violating a national anti-spam law that took effect in January.

AOL and other Internet providers have also invoked the law in civil lawsuits against hundreds of suspected spammers.

--------------------

read more here:
        JUNE 23--An AOL software engineer was arrested today for stealing the company's entire subscriber list--totaling 92 million screen names--and selling it to a 21-year-old Las Vegas spammer. According t

--------------------
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

A friend had a similar problem. Check here first, If you have not done so already;

Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 06-24-2004, 12:04 PM.
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Let me explain a similar problem....
            This same problem happend to myself and "JeffersonGuards" a few weeks ago. We had to change our screen names and my buddy list atleast was taken, and I did not save it. I ad that Ryan's screen name was on my buddy list, and the possible "perp" might have gone from there. I have no idea why he or she would have gone after Ryan. Thats some info I can provide.
            I have NOTHING to do with this, I've heard fingers are pointed at me, I have nothing against Ryan, and dont have the "skills" to do much online except make websites.

If you do catch him, or her, they are probably the same ones that got me and Brian the other week.

Thanks,
            Andrew

Comment

I don't know about this..... sounds fishy.... they need your password so just change your password to something much more cryptic that before (use special characters). Also NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a program that saves your password (Windows, Gator, etc..). These are just asking to get hacked.

Comment

Ryan,
                I was talking to HardeeHat for a while yesterday and the day before. This was not you!?!? If it isn't let me know because I can provide you with a general idea what was said and someone who I think it might be. Please let me know.

Dane
                Dane Utter
                Washington Guard

Comment

I think a phone call to your State Police is in order here. In Pennsylvania there's a special unit set up to deal with those folks. All it can cost you is some time.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by NY Pvt
                    Ryan,
                    I was talking to HardeeHat for a while yesterday and the day before. This was not you!?!? If it isn't let me know because I can provide you with a general idea what was said and someone who I think it might be. Please let me know.

Dane

Dane - it wasn't - I've been unable to access it for over a week now.

Shoot me an email.
                    Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

Through a series of AIM "Tactics" (view the OTB for full transcripts) I've re-established control over my screenname "HardeeHat", and unknown damage from "fake" conversations abounds most likely...

I am really annoyed that this happened and hope it doesn't occur with others, I plan to download some security stuff tonight so this won't happen again...
                      Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

I have NOTHING to do with this, I've heard fingers are pointed at me, I have nothing against Ryan, and dont have the "skills" to do much online except make websites.

If you do catch him, or her, they are probably the same ones that got me and Brian the other week.

Thanks,
                        Andrew
                        Andrew - You're done here. BFL. Don't even ask.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Ryan,

Glad I could be of some assistance.

Charles Heath
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Everyone,

Don't know if this is conclusive or not, but when I came back to my computer, I had a message from AIM that I was logged on in more than one location. I logged off and signed on under an old screen name, and sure enough, my current one was still online. Don't know if this is a computer screwup or a result of everyone's favorite stalker, but this is the first time an error like that has happened to me. So, if you had a conversation with "reinhard6165" today, then it wasn't me. Please let me know if you did. Thanks.

--Craig Solomon
                            Tar Water Mess
                            G. H. Thomas's Invincibles

Comment

Me Too

"ktimour" IS my EMAIL address, but is NOT my AIM screen name. Apparently someone else is using it. If you have had a conversation with "ktimour" you probably weren't talking to me, as I rarely "chat" these days.

If you have had one of these conversations, I'd appreciate knowing what this character is saying while masquerading as me.

Sincerely,
                              Karin Timour
                              Period Knitting -- Socks, Camp Hats, Balaclavas
                              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                              Email (only): Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                              X