"Cold Mountain" film review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Cold Mountain" film review

If either Renee Zellweger or Nicole Kidman had existed during the war, it would have been the best reason in the world to desert. Of course the typical 19th century woman lived at the health spa, had perfect teeth and waxed eyebrows. It would have looked more authentic if Nicole was sporting some "Billy Bob" teeth. OH! Too much realism! Jude Law? Yes this metrosexual looks every part of the rugged, southern farm boy turned soldier. A little dab of dirt doesn't cut it.

Authentic ugliness is what I am looking for! Greasy hair, crooked teeth and bad, sunbaked skin. The hard look from the CDV's. If Hollywood really wanted to impress me, they would hire some malnourished, homeless people with bad gums in the lead roles after some intense acting lessons. The helicopter pilot from the old Mad Max-Thunderdome comes to mind. They could save some money and spend it on props.

If we would just skinny up and lose a few years, they could use reenactors again for their next film and they wouldn't have to travel to Romania in search of authentic ugly people to suit up in wool!

Greg Deese
    Greasy Authenthic Gingivitis and Overnourished Mess
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Lee, et al.

I completely agree on the soundtrack. I purchased it this morning after listening to it last night off of the website. I thought it a wonderful slice of life we don't hear very often. If people have never heard Sacred Harp singing before, this would be a good start. Movie reviews aside, the soundtrack is simply awesome.

My two cents,

Neill Rose
      PLHA
      Love & Wienges

Comment

I for one am going to watch the movie for what it is, a love story/how things were on the home front/ and I am going to leave my critical comments to myself. Not everyone is going to like every movie, and the onlt way to be 100% correct is to time travel, and if anyone gets that perfected, I would love to know, I think I would like to go back and ride with my gggrandpa in Alabama.

Diane Roderman
        1st MS Partisan Rangers
        DianeGipson
        1st MS Partisan Rangers

Comment

To paraphrase someone else "It is what it is". As I recall the book did not feature as much in the way of battle sequences as the trailers indicate is in the film. So, looks like they erred on the side of appealing more to us types than not.

Back at the time of the book tours Frazier was getting the sort of attention from the ladies as that Bridges of Madison County guy did. So it figures that the movie will have some of the same demographics.
          Fred Grogan
          Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Well the bit of trailer I've seen seems to show a battle that relates more to Fort Fisher than the Crater. All the redlegs out there are going to have a stroke when they see that part...

Peter Koch
            Peter Koch
            North State Rifles

Comment

I was at Barnes and Noble the other night and looked through the companion book to Cold Mountain. There are some neat stills in it. It does appear that Stobrod and Pangle will be in the movie with the addition of Jack White's character. I suppose it is a token appearance by him since he played a major role in the development of the soundtrack. While at Barnes and Noble I did check out the soundtrack too and from what I hear, its pretty cool-just from a music standpoint.
              There some talk about how Nicole Kidman is "too pretty." Well, although she doesn't resemble the character they describe in the book-I am sure they stick with the fact that she comes from a wealthy background in Charleston. I also got from the book that she was more attractive than average. That should justify some of her good looks for the film (at least in the beginning).

Okay-just blabbing again about a film I haven't even seen yet!!!
              Matthew Rector

Comment

In related news

Oh yeah-got this story in an email today.

Majestic Cold Mountain has changed little since the Civil War
                By Diane Daniel

12/17/2003
                Boston Globe

WAYNESVILLE, N. C. -- In "Cold Mountain," Charles Frazier's 1997 novel and
                in the movie opening Christmas Day, Cold Mountain looms tall, mythical. As
                the story goes, Cold Mountain in western North Carolina is where Civil War
                deserter Inman (Jude Law in the movie) heads on foot from Virginia, and
                it's where he and Ada (Nicole Kidman) rekindle their long-waiting passion.

When a wounded and exhausted Inman finally reaches the spot where he can
                first see the mountain, author Frazier, who grew up in these parts, writes:
                "He rose and took a wide stance on the rock and stood and pinched down his
                eyes to sharpen the view across the vast prospect to one far mountain. It
                stood apart from the sky only as the stroke of a poorly inked pen, a line
                thin and quick and gestural. But the shape slowly grew plain and
                unmistakable. It was to Cold Mountain he looked. He had achieved a vista of
                what for him was homeland."

Modern-day visitors can see a similar vista. Cold Mountain, at 6,030 feet,
                is the tallest peak in the Shining Rock Wilderness area, part of the Pisgah
                National Forest. But don't look to the movie for views, as it was filmed
                almost entirely in Romania, because production costs were lower and signs
                of modern civilization were fewer. That was bad news for the state
                officials who scouted locations and courted Hollywood.

Even so, "the general consensus is the movie's going to be good for the
                region," said Mark Owen, spokesman for the economic development group
                AdvantageWest North Carolina. In the film, which he saw at a preview
                screening, "they talk about North Carolina, the mountains, Haywood County.
                . . . People will tell you that the book was huge for tourism. But there's
                also a lot of people out there who still don't know that it's a real
                place." Area tourism boards are working to change that.

Some locals say keeping Hollywood off Cold Mountain wasn't such a bad
                thing. Bob Hill of the Haywood County Chamber of Commerce, based in
                Waynesville, echoed others when he said, "We're very excited over the
                attention. However, the area is environmentally fragile, and it's remote.
                We're a little concerned that if a lot of people decide to go, will that be
                environmentally detrimental?"

Indeed, Cold Mountain, referred to reverentially throughout the book, is
                one of the area's remaining pockets of wilderness. Save for damage from air
                pollution, it probably hasn't changed all that much since Civil War times.

For the road tripper, there are stops from which to get outstanding views
                of the mountain, several of them along the southern part of the scenic Blue
                Ridge Parkway. In winter, this highest portion of the 469-mile parkway
                often closes to vehicles, but you can still drive to one prime viewing
                spot.

The summit of Cold Mountain is accessible by foot as well, but only
                experienced and fit hikers should attempt the 10.6-mile round trip. Part of
                the heavily wooded trail is rocky and part has a dirt surface, and it is
                said it doesn't get really steep until a mile or so from the top, a summit
                you may not notice because there's no clearing, just more trees. The trail
                has an altitude gain of 2,800 feet and no markings, which is why it's the
                wilderness area's least-visited peak.

"The inclination might be, it's a great movie, a best-selling book, you,
                too, can find yourself on Cold Mountain. But that's not necessarily true,"
                cautioned Randy Johnson, author of the 2003 guidebook "Hiking the Blue
                Ridge Parkway." "New Englanders might think, `Oh, that's the South. You can
                just walk on up to Cold Mountain.' Well, it got its name for a reason. It's
                a rugged, difficult hike with a lot of elevation gain. Even in an average
                winter, you can find yourself needing snowshoes to get to the top."

While Cold Mountain remains remote, the towns around it have grown
                considerably. But Waynesville (population 10,000), where we stayed in early
                December, and Brevard (population 7,000) retain their quaint mountain-town
                feel. Even the larger city of Asheville (population 70,000), about 30 miles
                northwest, hasn't gone Gap. All make excellent starting points.

We chose Waynesville, 30 miles southwest of Asheville, because of its size
                and location on Route 276. The two-lane road taken southeast to Brevard
                follows the base of Cold Mountain and, after a series of hairpin turns,
                crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway just at the turnoff for the official Cold
                Mountain overlook at Milepost 411.8. Though the parkway was closed because
                of ice, we could still drive from 276 right up to the overlook parking
                area. It was cloudy, and up on the ridge the weather turned wintry, with
                blasting winds, a layer of frozen snow, and ice-covered trees. It was
                beautiful, but we couldn't see a thing off the ridge.

Driving south, we made our way to Brevard, passing the seasonal Cradle of
                Forestry Forest Discovery Center and stopping along the way at Sliding
                Rock, a natural 60-foot smooth rock "waterslide" that plops you into a deep
                pool of frigid mountain runoff, open in the summer. Brevard was readying
                for its annual Christmas parade, so we hurried through, looking in its
                old-timey shops.

On the way back to Waynesville, the setting sun peered through the sky, so
                we popped back up to the Cold Mountain overlook and were granted a partial
                view of the mountain under stunning pink and gray skies.

That evening, we walked the block from our bed and breakfast, the Herren
                House, to Waynesville's Main Street, where another Christmas celebration
                was going on. Here the shops and restaurants are more contemporary and
                upscale but still down-home friendly.

The next day dawned clear and bright, so we followed the viewing suggestion
                of Kent Stewart of Waynesville Book Co. and drove back out 276 about 6
                miles to the hamlet of Bethel. We took a left onto Highway 215 toward
                Canton, went about a mile, and yes, there it was off to the right: the
                entirety of Cold Mountain, from base to highest peak, looking every bit as
                majestic as Inman had promised.

Mission accomplished, we headed to Asheville for lunch, which included a
                Cold Mountain Winter Ale on tap, made by Asheville's Highland Brewing Co.
                Like the mountain it's named for, you won't find it outside of North
                Carolina, so savor it while you can.

Diane Daniel can be reached at ddaniel@globe.com.
                Matthew Rector

Comment

I have made no bones about the fact that I plain Didn't Like This Book. I know a lot of people did, and that's okay. But I felt like Frazier was writing a modern story in a period setting, to appeal to a modern audience, and that's what the movie trailers look like too. Not to mention Jude Law's terrible accent and the fake beard that is strangely reminiscent of the one Berenger wore in Gettysburg.

I will wait till it comes out on DVD and rent it for $4.

And I think I'll read The Black Flower for a fifth time.

Cheers---

Kim Caudell

Comment

The Black Flower? I read that book and I thought it was alright, but didn't think it was any better than Cold Mountain. I thought there might have been a few "reenactorisms" in it that could have been left out. If anything, I thought Cold Mountain did a better job of developing its characters and plot. Thats just my opinion though and in no way trying to condemn that story or any opinions of it. I can appreciate people's opinions of stories they enjoy. Thats great if you like a book enough to read it a fifth time. I liked bits and pieces of The Black Flower, but it could have been longer I thought.
                    I was just wondering if I missed something regarding that story or not. Perhaps I need to reread that one now!
                    Matthew Rector

Comment

I plan on visiting the theatre on Christmas Day and checking out this "Cold Mtn flick. Would be nice to see Nicole caught with a skirt up :-)
                      [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

I saw the trailer a few days ago and for the most part I think I would be able to stay awake. Though there is not much battle scenes in it, I think the Crater will be accuratley shown. I just don't see why Hollywood has to put in so much love when they're missing all of the strong points of the war. I will more than likley be greatly dissapointed in this movie but still have hope.
                        Ryan Stull
                        37th NC Co B
                        stull6@charter.net

Comment

The Black Flower

Kim:

The Black Flower - what a GREAT book!
                          Mike Ventura
                          Shannon's Scouts

Comment

It is a movie...it hasn't even come out yet...

Go see it and enjoy it for its entertainment value and just be thankful they didn't use reenactors from the U.S.

I just don't see why Hollywood has to put in so much love when they're missing all of the strong points of the war.
                            How about making money?? I sure as He!! wouldn't make a movie that would draw only an obscure (many say warped!) subculture of the country called reenactor hobbyists. Its called business...why do you think they pay big bucks for actors the caliber of Law, Kidman, and Zelweiger (who will probably get the academy award for best supporting actress)?

They make a CW period piece, film in Romania to get picturesque country, use costuming based on the likes of Charlie Childs and Greg Starbuck, have Don Troiani and Brian Pohanka to help with consultation, use Romanian military and civilian extras who actually LOOK like soldiers...and still people are complaining...even about beards! I thought we were done with that when G-burg was released 10 years ago! What will it take?!?!

Go to the theater, (important emphasis here) LEAVE the CW garb at home, buy some popcorn, a large diet-coke...kick back and enjoy!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Comment

A couple weeks ago, I got an envelope in the mail with a return address for some marketing company in town with nothing but four passes to an advance screening of the movie inside. I'm still not sure how or why I got these, but it was for the theater closest to my house as well. I'm not complaining.

The screening was tonight at 7, I took Gary White, also of the 15th, my fiancé and his wife. There was a reenactor presence composed mainly of the Texas Rifles, and it was nice having good impressions there.

What I'm wondering is, would anyone like to hear my thoughts on the film before it is officially released? I wouldn't want to ruin the experience for anyone.
                              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Phil - advance intell is always good. Put me on the e-mail distribution if you decide not to post here.

To all: I could care less about beards, accents, etc. I hope this movie is successful - it is made by a REAL director with a great track record with outstanding actors off of a Pulitzer Prize winning novel with extras that look like soldiers in every sense of the word...and advisors that read like a who's who of leading lights in CW living history and artifacts.

And as for those folks who think there might be too much love? Go read a Victorian novel or two...or read Cold Mountain. Inman had to have a pretty good reason to desert and walk hundreds of miles.

GAG and Gburg were simply bad movies made on the cheap by a poor director with an agenda.

The goal is for the next CW movie to be made by Ridley Scott or Steven Spielburg, to name a few...not Maxwell. If this one works, that may happen.
                                Last edited by DougCooper; 12-23-2003, 09:39 AM.
                                Soli Deo Gloria
                                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                                X