Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Cold Mountain" film review

Originally posted by Secede1863
    This Film looks more of like a love story than a Civil War story.
    I haven't read the book but I prosume it is too.
    As for the Uniforms;
    I watched a show on MTV about the movie ( It was an hour long )
    The uniforms donot look like the most authentic but like I said I think it is mainly suppose to be a love film not a Civil War film so they don't need to have the best uniforms and equimpment, PLUS they aren't real reenactors, they are un-employed people from Translavania so of course they wont have the best "stuff". The film company made the Uniforms on a rush to get it done and made.

.....I'm not going to see it, I think I've seen Enough Already.

Andrew Stebbins
    Andrew:

I know that you are young and just getting into the hobby (from a post in the cav section of this forum). Let me offer some advice:

1) MTV is not the place to go for historical information.

2) Regarding your comment on the uniforms in "Cold Mountain" - what do you know about North Carolina early issue jackets? What do you know about Peter Tait jackets and their provenance? Read Lee White's post below yours and the article on Don Trioiani and you might learn something.

3) There is some historical fact in "Cold Mountain." "Teague" was a real person. The murder of the fiddler and his "special needs" friend is a real event. Cold Mountain is a real place. You should see it for no other reason than to understand some of the suffering that the "folks at home" endured in the south. Your understanding of "bush wackers," the lawlessness that they envoked and "action" on the home front will be greatly expanded.

I'm sure that you are excited about your new hobby. I'm sure you read these posts and want to comment. But, a word of advice, read and learn, read and learn. At this point in the hobby, you don't know what you don't know.

No Hollywood movie is 100% historically accurate, but it seems that "Cold Mountain" made an effort in that direction.

Much better than "Gettysburg" and the much panned "Gods and Generals."

You might start watching "History vs. Hollywood" on the History Channel.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Sorry this ended up being so late, but Christmas kinda got in the way of me posting on here. Go figure.

I would have to say first off that this is the best CW movie I've seen in recent years, and probably the most authentic I've ever seen period. No, it wasn't perfect, but it was still leaps and bounds above anything else.

It seems like the whole "love story" angle sticks in a lot of people's craws, especially after such flicks as Titanic and Pearl Harbor, where moviegoers had to endure young actors clinging to each other through historical events that threatened to tear them apart. Cold Mountain contains in it an awkward romance that starts at the beginning of the War, and the characters trying to reunite as well as survive the terrible events that are destroying the country. I don't understand how anyone who's actually seen the movie can call it a typical Hollywood love story. The "lovers" are actually together for two brief moments in the entire film.

Perhaps the producers are on to something when they bypassed fat American farbs and put good, authentic uniforms on the lean Romanian Army. I really wish the "other hobby" would take note that Hollywood has done more and better research than they have, and ended up looking much better. As mentioned above, the NC uniforms, early and late, were a very nice touch. Most of the soldiers and civilians were dirty, though many seemed to avoid being altogether filthy. The weapons looked good for the most part. If there were brass framed revolvers, there at least weren't too many to be distracting. Perhaps the inclusion of a LeMat and a Walker was a bit too much in terms of rare pistols.

The dialogue was probably my favorite part of the movie. GAG left folks wondering, "did they really talk like that?" and gave the impression that everyone had a very formalized way of talking, and that the world was a very dull and humorless place in the 1860's. The characters in Cold Mountain talk differently than we do, but it is loose and quite often funny. The dialogue just seemed more natural and real to me.

By now, I really don't have anything new to say about the battle scenes. Yes, the Battle of the Crater was brief, but it really said a lot about the savagery and brutality of the fight. The CW was not just about a gray line and a blue line in the middle of a green pasture, and this movie showed that. Finally, audiences were not left asking, "did they always fight all lined up like that?"

Basically, it was a good movie, and a damn good CW movie. Go see it, and don't be afraid to take the wife or girlfriend along, because she'll probably like it too. Do be forewarned that not only is there a good amount of violence, but also some nudity as well.
      Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

I finally got to see the movie, and if you went expecting to see a lot of battlefied action, then yes you are going to be disappointed. But as a love? story it is good. Of course I looked real hard at the dresses worn by Kidman, and yes there was room for improvement, but NOT everyone who goes to the movies is a reenactor, so I think it will be just fine. As for Renee, my personal feeling is that she stole this movie from Kidman, her accent and actions were more natural, and really familiar with what I grew up with in Alabama. As for the nudity, I could have easily done without it. Call me old fashioned, but I think they could have made their point without all the skin showing, plus with that much snow on the ground, and the crudeness of the hut they were in, it would have been too darned cold for all that bare skin they were showing.

Diane Roderman
        DianeGipson
        1st MS Partisan Rangers

Comment

This is one of the best films I have seen in a long time. Probably the best CW related film I can remember seeing. Chick Flick?? If your chick likes rape, nudity, sex, brutality, and graphic violence then I guess its for her. I took my wife with me and she did like it because of the human side of the story. Renee stole the show and reminded me of so many "ladies" I know (and knew) while growing up Appalachia. As for it being filmed in Romania, so what. I really couldn't see that much of a difference between the scenery in the movie and my visits to Western NC (My family came from Pond Mtn, NC). The only thing "Romanian" I noticed was the Goat Lady's home. The uniforms looked great! Don't know much about Cav stuff so I won't comment. I recommend this movie to anyone over 17.
          ewtaylor
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Re: My "Cold Mountain" film review

I went and saw Cold Mountain this afternoon. I'll try to keep my comments and opinions brief for now.
            After reading the book twice, I am pleased with the turnout on the big screen. Was not a bad book to film adaptation. It didn't get butchered too bad and I didn't mind how some of the little incidents and characters of the story were changed to get into a two hour movie. I was surprised of what they could get in! I didn't expect some things that made it to make it in. So considering, it was not too bad. Much of the scenery and imagery was how I pictured it while reading the book. I was very pleased with that.
            I wasn't too thrilled about how the home guard always looked (in uniforms)and how fast Jude Law's beard grew during his journey but thats just getting nit picky. I'll let others do that part. I had no problems with the nudity, as it mostly kept with the book and didn't distract from the overall story. Glad they didn't shy away from it.
            The brief Petersburg battle scene in the beginning was good I thought. I don't think it was too long or too short, for how graphic it was. I doubt a movie can ever capture how terrible a battle can be, but this movie certainly did a decent job of trying I think. This battle was better than in most Civil War movies. I read one review recently that ranked it number one in battle scenes. With good reason.
            As a movie I really liked it....as a Civil War movie, I liked it very well. Had the movie been made for Masterpiece Theater, hours long-it could have really worked well. I wouldn't doubt it if I went and saw it again on the big screen.
            Thats all....for now.
            Matthew Rector

Comment

My review:

My criteria for a "good movie" is simply one that connects to the heart and creates some emotions. With a really good movie, those emotions will linger. Cold Mountain was a pretty good movie. Yes, it was violent and graphic, as are many today, but not gratuitous. The movie took me into the lives of the characters and made me feel for them. Can't really ask or expect much more than that.

I go to movies to be entertained, not educated. While factual inaccuracies can be distracting, a well delivered story can overcome that. Other than the saddles and the hairstyles (would I have noticed had someone not mentioned it before?), there only a couple other distracting things (major) and they didn't get too much in the way of a good story.

Regarding the film makers' art, Ms Zllweger delivered a great performance. Ruby is a complex creature for sure. I thought Kidman's character a bit cold, but what would you expect, the girl grew up without a mother. Mr. Law did a fine job as leading man. He'll go far. I agree with whoever said that Natalie Portman was a good choice for her part. She delivered a powerful performance too.

While my wife enjoyed it too, I don't think we'd consider it a "chick flick"...it didn't leave us with that upbeat sugary easy-to-forget afterglow a couple takes to the car after a High Grant movie.
              Daniel Fodera
              Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

I liked the moonshine still part the best! I cheered and everyone in the theater told me to shut-up!

The little details were nice! But I'm wondering if these details were true such as posting pictures of dead loved ones on a door and the "take your pick" of clothing from the wheel barrow! Was the homeguard this ruthless? You figure a dead deserter that late in the war was no good to anyone. I thought they'd return them to the army if anything.

Anyone else notice things like this?

Hope I didn't give too much away...

Jim Ross
                James Ross

Comment

I also enjoyed the movie and thought it was good. The battle scene and uniforms looked pretty good. I believe Zelliweger carried her role very well. The only odd thing was that I didn't feel like there was a deep connection between Kidman and Law's characters. When they reunited they didn't even embrass or cry or seem happy at all! What gives with that? Also, they did not have the ettiquette of the period right at all. Kidman's character was a proper lady from Charleston. In the beginning of the movie she waltzes right up to meet Inman. This would not have been done. She would asked her lady friend for a proper introduction. Also, what gives with all the long hair on men in every CW era movie! It drives me nuts and not at all correct. Also, why were the Confederate deserters over 250 pounds?! They went out of their way to find lean looking men for the battle scene and then pick main characters who don't physically fit the part at all. In spite of this, it was an entertaining movie and well worth the ticket price.

Regards,
                  Jim Butler
                  The SRR
                  Jim Butler

Comment

I saw the movie today. I thought it was pretty good. It was a bit long and drawn out in some parts. It was a nice surprise to see Natalie Portman in it. The only better surprise then that would have been if Keira Knightley (from Pirates of the Caribbean) had a role.

One part I could not figure out was after he was shot, where (like what city) was he taken to? It would make sense if it were Richmond. However, the one scene with the blind peanut man I recognized was filmed at the College of Charleston in SC. Then he was walking along the Carolina coast. It confused me a bit. Does anyone know?
                    Dane Utter
                    Washington Guard

Comment

Greetings,

Correct me if I'm wrong but, as I recall, Inman is supposedly sent to a general hospital in Raleigh NC. Of course, this doesn't make much sense since, in reality, he more probably would have been sent to one of the numerous facilities in and around Richmond VA (just a few miles away). Chirambozo Hospital would have been an obvious location, for starters. Contrary to the facility depicted in the movie, Chirambozo was well-run and had a remarkably low death rate.

The problem with the "Raleigh scenario," among other things, is that the timeline shown in the movie simply doesn't add up. In the movie, it takes Inman upwards of three months (September - December 1864) to make his journey. Yet, the distance between Raleigh and Haywood County NC (in which Cold Mountain is located) is less than 300 miles. That means Inman, even if he hoofed it the whole way, could still make the trip in under a month and still find time for all of his adventures.

It's magnificent...but it isn't war,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Jim,

You are so right, the "deserters" were too fat for period Infantryman, your the only one that really caught that! The director was so thorough to use Romainian troops and then he highlights two guys that look as if they just left the Waffle House on the way to the megafest.

The only downside to our scrutinizing of these films is that we have almost eliminated ourselves from the movie business. I have read in civil war magazine articles in CWTI and North & South that the producers had learned from previous encounters with reenactors and noted the following problems with using reenactors as extras:

1. Too old
                        2. Too fat
                        3. Untrainable (Retroactive interference) old habits vs. new
                        4. Too knowledgeable (know-it-all)
                        5. Sensitive to crticism.

Too bad they couldn't have seen our skirmish line at Chickamauga 140 or a few of the scenes at TAG etc. We can't do a lot about our age (other than hair dye), but I feel they may have had a bad experience with a group of reenactors that had became overly troublesome and were generating excuses. If they could meet a few c/p/h types from this forum, they could just bring the camera to one of our events and just let it run. Most of our folks would really go over the top with authenticity with a movie camera around, a little extra money wouldn't hurt either. Can I keep the hand sewn overcoat? Sure I will act all weekend!

I could just imagine the directors past problems:

Calibrate your color cameras on that artillery crew and that lone Zouave.

No you can't bring the haversack full of pop-tarts!

Cut! Cut! Cut! Alright put the Marlboro out!

Cut! Please take off the Ray Bans!

No you can't play General Lee, we have Robert Duvall for that!

Cut! Who brought the Scotsman!?!??

Cut! Call me crazy but, did they really use lamp oil and Bic lighters to start fires?

Get the wide angle panaromic lense for this 400 pound infantryman!

Load and Hold? Load and Hold? Why is everyone screaming this command?

Use the ramrod!

You pressed and dry cleaned your unifrom?

Not another western plains Indian! What are we shooting the Lone Ranger?

It would be a cool campfire scene if it wasn't for the 2 ton iron grill.

No President Lincoln wasn't 5 foot 8 inches, and he did not give the speech on July 4th, take the top hat and tuxedo back to the formal shop and lose the fake beard!

The only "body piercings"then son were bayonets and mini balls.

:D
                        Last edited by SCTiger; 01-02-2004, 11:53 PM.
                        Gregory Deese
                        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Friends,

I saw Cold Mountain last night and like most of you I enjoyed it. One thing that the movie did for me was awaken a curiosity about the homefront in the South. Can anyone recommend a book or two of note that gives a proper account of the travails encountered by the folks back home? I never gave that aspect of the war much thought growing up here in New England but am looking to rectify that deficiency.

Other thoughts and gentle musings:

I wasn't catching the spark between Nicole Kidman and Jude Law (a la Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange in "Rob Roy"). I kept envisioning Law in a wheelchair providing various bodily fluids to Ethan Hawke and yelling at him in his high-brow English accent in Gattaca...

I found out that it was filmed in Romania after I saw the movie and was flabbergasted (I avoided reading this thread or anything else about the movie until I saw it). Last March I was in Bristol, TN for the NASCAR Winston, er, Nextel Cup race and stayed near Jefferson in Western NC and Cold Mountain-The Movie seemed to have the same beauty that I saw when I was there riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway (everyone should ride some of that road - it is truly a national treasure IMHO)...

I thought the music was terrific (can't comment on the historical accuracy part though b/c I don't enough about that subject). After playing bass guitar for years, I've decided to go to the other "dark side" and learn to play guitar. But after seeing this movie, I might add mandolin to the list of things to do too - mover over Ricky Skaggs!

Great thread and reviews. Happy New Year!

Mike Jolin
                          Michael P. Jolin

Comment

"Cold Mountain"

Alright... I have finally seen the movie.

I concur with several of the items mentioned in this thread... which quite coincidentally also appeared in collections of professional reviews re-published by websites like rottentomatoes.com

I remain uneasy about the film for many reasons. The acting seems almost forced, and only a few of the characters made me believe they were who they portrayed. My great calamity came when I realized nearly all the characters that were genuinely interesting kept getting killed--- the generous neighbor, the preacher-father, the fornicating minister, the violin playing deserter. In fact, the only interesting character that DIDN'T get killed was Ruby...

And please...PLEASE...PLEEEEASE can ANY writer in Hollywood--or any writer period-- get past the use of hungry, maurauding, rapacious, foraging, nasty hateful, "I sure hope someone kills them cuz they be so bad" Union cavalrymen? Anyone?

Jude Law is relieved of being a Rhett Butler scalawag because a.) he's poor, b.) he's hurt, c.) he's so beautiful and d.) who cares if desertion is a shooting offense? Nichole Kidman outdoes Scarlett O'Hara in that she changed her clothes every other scene, and is crying in every alternate scene. In short... a good effort... but I can't get past the notion (as a good friend put it) of "Gone With The Wind 2."
                            [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Re: "Cold Mountain"

Actually Robert, the character of violinist(Ruby's Dad) survived. He was eating at the table at the end.

There were sevral things that bothered me.

1)The actual Crater was 135 feet long by 97 feet wide and 30 feet deep. That was described in Maj. Gen'l Bushrod Johnson's AAR. It looked as if the Enola Gay unloaded a payload in the movie.

2)The Yankee offensive had mostly US Colored Troops. None in the movie.

3)The NC Troops were moved out a couple of days before the explosion but within the salient. The unfortunate ones directly under the explosion were SC Troops.

4)The hat Teague wore looked to me like it was leather. And those dang stampede strings. Enough of those already.

5)I thought the little "Edgar Winter" look-a-like Home Guard over did it. Most accounts of any Home Guard had those guys doing little if anything to prevent Bushwackers and Deserters from real accounts.

6)And how does anyone with any sense of direction go from Petersburg to the VA/NC Coastline and then start home to Western NC?

7)Nicole looked like a model. That was the problem. Did she ever sweat? And she does look good too.

8)The Carpatian Mountains look nothing like the Smokey Mountains of Appalachia.

All in all, it wasn't a historically accurate film, but rather a love story set at the time of the ACW.

Mark Berrier
                              North State Rifles
                              combinations@northstate.net
                              Mark Berrier

Comment

Ya got me, Tex!

Originally posted by Enfilade
                                Actually Robert, the character of violinist(Ruby's Dad) survived. He was eating at the table at the end.

There were sevral things that bothered me.

1)The actual Crater was 135 feet long by 97 feet wide and 30 feet deep. That was described in Maj. Gen'l Bushrod Johnson's AAR. It looked as if the Enola Gay unloaded a payload in the movie.

2)The Yankee offensive had mostly US Colored Troops. None in the movie.
                                Regarding Ruby's Pa....by the powers, you're right!

...But as I fall from my silver-mounted saddle, Mr. Berrier, I will blaze back with one last shot:

General Edward Ferrero's two brigades of Fourth Division, of General Ambrose Burnside's IX A. C. did indeed train for several weeks to be the "worthy spearhead" of the Federal advance...as Bruce Catton so eloquently put it.

Unfortunately, General Meade kept messing around with Burnside's plan. In the end, Meade directed (and Grant upheld) that the Fourth Division would not lead the assault. Instead, General James H. Ledlie, First Division, would lead the attack, followed by General Willcox's Third Division on the left flank and General Potter's Second Division on the right flank. Of all of Burnside's divisions, Ledlie's was not only numerically weak, but also low on morale. General Ledlie, himself was not exactly temperate, and rumors of his persistant intoxication ran rampant among headquarters. Apparently Meade ignored these factors and changed Burnside's order of battle on July 29--the day before the detonation of the mine!

The rest is history... excpet to note that Burnside committed the two brigades of Fourth Division after about an hour and a half of killing. By the time the USCTs advanced, plenty of their comrades in three white divisions were already dead or wounded...

In this segment of history, the film appears reasonably accurate.
                                [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Working...
                                X