Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources for correct Ordnance Green Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sources for correct Ordnance Green Paint?

Thank you again to all (on and off list) who provided information!

John Novicki

John Novicki
    Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Originally posted by CavLt
      John,

I have been told that pittsburgh paint has color called dock piling #7631 that is a good representation.
      Personally, I can not vouch for it, and do not recall who gave me this information. But, it might be worth picking up a color chip to compare to an original piece.

Jay Johnson
      Hi,

I don't have a Pittsburg Paint store by my house so on a lark, I asked the guy at the local home center's paint counter if they were able to 'cross reference' colors (I knew that they could scan a sample, but I had no sample).

I told him 'dock piling #7631', and it came right up on his list! It gets even better: this particular store carries Olympic paint which is actually made by (can you guess it?) - Pittsburg paint.

So if you don't have a Pittsburg dealer near by, look for Olympic.

Roger M. Nichols
      rnichol7@hotmail.com

Comment

Dear Friends,

Having started this thread, I am remiss in not following up on it. I decided the way to go was to make the paint using the Ordnance Department formula supplied by helpful members of the forum.. It was a royal pain in the --- but was a great learning experience (whom amoung us has ever needed to make paint?) and produced a material that I am very satisfied with.

The yellow ochre was especially "fun" to grind. When I tried the composition as the yellow ochre came from the masonry supplier, the paint came out too grainy. Starting over, I spent hours grinding the stuff (ochre) so that it went from a grit to a powder. I later found that you can get ochre from art supply houses in a much finer size but costs almost an order of magnitude more . . .

Once properly prepared, the paint went on well but required three coats for good coverage. It took longer to dry than I might have wished. More drying agents would have helped but I was uncertain about doing that given the amount of work (grinding, grinding, grinding) to prepare the large batch of material.

If anyone is interested, I will paint a few pieces of wood with the stuff and you can get it matched at your local paint supply house. I will bring them along to events. If you see the ambulance, just ask.

John Novicki
        Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Working...
        X