Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting rid of smell

Howdy!

A while back I had the misfortune of my cat marking a couple of items (shelter half and jacket) I soaked and hand washed both items two or three times, yet every now and then when the weather's hot I can get a whiff of that truly unmistakeable smell. Does anybody out there have any hints on finaly getting rid of it? :(
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Re: Getting rid of smell

Wash them again with baking soda.
    Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Baking soda may help... but head to a cleaning store or pet store and get some enzymatic cleaners--"Nature's Miracle" is one we got at Petco or some such, and it works quite well. You'll want to give it a good long soak, then a rinse to get rid of the modern cleaner's smell.

Then, castrate the cat.
      Regards,
      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I have had extraordinary results with Febreze, which you can pick up at the supermarket in the laundry detergent section. It comes as a pump spray for use directly on fabric and as something to add to the washing machine. Avoid the scented versions of the stuff, just go for the straight Febreze.

I got into it when faced with doing a living history in a school with a forage coat that had gone beyond "Sour" and "Bad" to "Something Died Here A While Back and Nobody Bothered to Bury It." I mean, even I thought it stunk....
        Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

Vinegar works good also.....
          Marc Riddell
          1st Minnesota Co D
          2nd USSS Company C
          Potomac Legion

Comment

Cat urine is a specific set of stinks... and febreeze won't eat it. Cleaners designed to "eat" the odor at the source (enzymes that actually eat the cat urine chemicals) will remove it.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Natures Miracle.

I have much experience with cat piss, as my male cat had some marking issues. You must use natures miracle. put it directly on the garment on the stain, then add some to the water and wash.

Febreeze will not work on cat urine.

Steve Parrish

Comment

As an aside, you can find the exact stain with a black light. The stain glows bright orange to yellow (depending on the cats fluid and sugar intake). I know, I know, I have way too much time on my hands.
                Ted Siljowicz

Comment

I would give it a brief soak in some vinegar, 10-20 mins. then wash it in some baking soda then use frebrez. That should do it.
                  Ethan S. Gallo

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
                    Does anybody out there have any hints on finally getting rid of it? :(
                    Won't the local Humane Society take it?

Just kidding -- I've always had cats myself, and I've had more than a few encounters with that smell! Look at Pet Smart or any pet supply store for an enzyme cleaner specially designed for cat urine. It costs about $10 a bottle, but believe me, it's better than the funny looks you'll get on warm days for as long as you'll own the coat in question.
                    Bill Reagan
                    23rd Reg't
                    Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input! I think I'll try the enzyme cleaner from Petsmart first. :D
                      Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                      Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                      Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                      Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                      Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

I'd agree with the vinegar cure, with a slight addition. Take a cup of apple cider vinegar and add a tablespoon full of whole cloves. Boil this mixture until the cloves have softened and let cool. Screen out the cloves and use the liquor to combat your odor problem. My grandmother used to use this concoction to rid almost anything of fowl odors and I never saw it lose a contest, and that included skunk scent and rotten potatoes!

On a related note, I've always found the quickest way to get rid of a smell was to ask him to either leave or bathe . . .
                        Mark A. Pflum
                        Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
                        Member:
                        CMH
                        AHA
                        Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Working...
                        X