X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHW- Updates, Questions, and Answers

Gents,

The recent decisions by Family Heirloom Weavers to change their business to a large lots only/wholesale business model has prompted a great many threads and discussions. As of a few minutes ago, there were four threads on seperate forums, some active, some inactive.

For your convenience, I have merged all the threads in questions.

If you are interested in such things, please read about/discuss it here.

Thanks,

John Stillwagon

Pards,

Just found this one out...of course I may be a little slow.

Family Heirloom Weavers will no longer be selling their Civil War Fabrics at retail after November 30, 2004.

They will continue to do wholesale marketing of their fabrics in 100 yrd increments. No word as to what fabrics are going to be offered at this time.

This will put a kink in the works for some small clothing makers...I am sure.

Check out their web site for more details:

Family Heirloom Weavers is one of the last surviving US textile mills. Family owned and operated for over 35 years. We focus on weaving historically accurate and authentic historical fabrics including ingrain carpet.
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 07-30-2004, 11:21 AM.
    Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
    Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
    Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Re: FHW Goes Wholesale

FYI: I will be retailing FHW Fabrics starting this Fall.

This change that FHW has made will not put a kink in anyone's production as the fabrics will still be available in quantities below 100 yards.

I'm not sure what the panic is all about......
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

FYI: I will be retailing FHW fabrics starting this Fall.
      Cool Chris.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

I have to say, the message on the FHW site is quite confusing. Are they going to continue to make all their normal fabric, but only in 100 yd. lots, or are they only going to make certain fabrics? Are they going to maintain their present retail location? Also, out of curiosity, what is going to be their new non-civil war pruduction?
        Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Originally posted by 55th VVI
          I have to say, the message on the FHW site is quite confusing. Are they going to continue to make all their normal fabric, but only in 100 yd. lots, or are they only going to make certain fabrics? Are they going to maintain their present retail location? Also, out of curiosity, what is going to be their new non-civil war pruduction?
          Terence,

Why don't you just contact Pat Klein Directly with your questions?
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Let me see if I can help....

Q: Are they going to continue to make all their normal fabric, but only in 100 yd. lots, or are they only going to make certain fabrics?

A: They are stopping production on all CW fabric today.

Anything on hand may be purchased up until 11/30/04.

After 11/30/04, they will only be producing CW fabrics as commissioned weaving in bolts of 100 yrds or more.

We will be retailing FHW fabrics starting this Fall so there should be an overlap in retail sales so that there will be no break in the flow of raw materials to do-it-yourselfers or Reproduction Vendors.

Q: Are they going to maintain their present retail location?

A: They are closing the store, but Corner Clothiers (Kara Bartels and Brian Merrick), Wooded Hamlet (Ken and Mary Wagner) and I are going to open up a retail location in Gettysburg to sell our goods and FHW fabrics. (details to follow shortly

Q: out of curiosity, what is going to be their new non-civil war pruduction?

A: The Non-CW fabrics account for over 80% of thier sales so they are phasing out the CW fabrics as a retail item and concentrating on fabrics that sell better.

PS Moderators, if you feel this post violates any rules, please consider moving the whole thread to Vendor Announcements under my name.
            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I guess another question that should be asked is will they keep making thier blankets and coverlets, will they be discontinued, or only made for wholesale? Thanks.
              Timothy J. Koehn
              Boone's Louisiana Battery
              Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
              http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt Boone
                Chris,

Thanks for the information. I guess another question that should be asked is will they keep making thier blankets and coverlets, will they be discontinued, or only made for wholesale? Thanks.
                All historical products including coverlets and blankets will only be available through retail outlets.

Comment

The official answer from FHW hasnt come to me in the mail yet, but that is OK. So long as we maintain a reliable retail source (AKA: Chris Daley) I am no longer worried. Thanks Chris!
                  Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                  Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                  Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Now that it looks like we have a middle man, what can we expect the mark-up to be?
                    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
                    Palmetto Living History Association
                    [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
                    October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Originally posted by SCSecesh
                      Now that it looks like we have a middle man, what can we expect the mark-up to be?
                      Seriously, guys...CALM DOWN!

Let me say again, I am retailing the goods. That means the price will be the same for yardage and blankets as it was before, your still getting the same quality fabric and the same quality blankets at the same prices.

As to the 'middle man' concept, I'm not actually a middle man here. The fabrics are being commissioned by me to my specs so it technically will be my cloth woven by their looms. So I'm not buying fabric they have on hand, but am having it custom woven.

Is there anything else that I'm not clear enough on here?
                      Last edited by CJDaley; 07-19-2004, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I think everybody needs to chill out. Being only 10 miles south of the Gettysburg retail shop I am up there weekly and get to see what they have on hand constantly. There will be no significant changes in the fabric, just the people you buy it from. Rather than buying it directly from Family Heirloom Weavers you will be buying it from Chris Daley who will be having FHW make it for him. You will still be able to buy the same quality yard goods at a similar price.
                        Brian Koenig
                        SGLHA
                        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Seriously, guys...CALM DOWN!
                          Indeed.

No kinks here.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

I was just in the retail store a little over a month ago while at a living history in the park. The prices and goods available are outstanding. The service has always been there. I picked up some excellent linsey-woolsey for a Rev War garment at a fantastic price. I don't know what all the hyperventilating is all about. It reads like the firm simply wishes to focus on the manufacturing end, tighten up on the range of goods and maximixe profitability. Such efficiency moves often result in long-term savings to the customer.

Maybe I'm just an optimist.
                            David Culberson
                            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

[QUOTE=CJ Daley]

A: They are closing the store, but Corner Clothiers (Kara Bartels and Brian Merrick), Wooded Hamlet (Ken and Mary Wagner) and I are going to open up a retail location in Gettysburg to sell our goods and FHW fabrics. (details to follow shortly

QUOTE]

Chris,
                              Not to add to the fuss, but I was wondering if they'll be closing their retail location, and or if you'll be opening one up before labor day?...I have a trip planned. Sorry to add to the mess.
                              Scott Gulley
                              PPM/GHTI/WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X