X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FHW Goes Wholesale

Originally posted by SGulley
    Chris,
    Not to add to the fuss, but I was wondering if they'll be closing their retail location, and or if you'll be opening one up before labor day?...I have a trip planned. Sorry to add to the mess.
    I was actually placing an order/talking with Mrs. Kline this morning, and she said she was in fact updating the info on her website as we spoke. The time frame she confirmed to me was end-November. They are really good folks, and I'm sure they will do everything in their power to continue to accomodate everyone and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Rich Croxton
    Last edited by Gallinipper; 07-19-2004, 07:19 PM.
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Who needs to chill here?

It seems like there were several questions - first raised by the message on the site and then by a series of answers. At this point most, if not all, of the questions were asked and then answered.
      In addition there were several comments talking about service, availability, price, etc. Some of those were questions but others only seemed to be "thinking out loud", but thanks for answers to those anyway.
      So where is the knee-jerk reaction emanating from? It didn't seem to be the questions!
      Got hemp?
      Last edited by Yellowhammer; 07-30-2004, 11:26 AM.
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
      Palmetto Living History Association
      [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
      October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

I guess my question would be, what if someone wanted a couple yards of a kind of fabric Chris didn't want 100 yards of? It's the custom stuff I would be worried about. There are a few key fabrics not in their standard catalogue that FHW makes that are quite useful to me and others.

Please do not answer this post if you have nothing constructive to say. Answers like "quit panicking" are not what I'm looking for. There is a difference between freaking out and clarifying a situation.
        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Another question for clarity--in March, Pat and I had a long conversation on reproducing *civilian* textiles based on the homespun dresses I've researched. Mr. Daley, will you be interested in ordering anything along that line, or should I be cultivating another possible source?

Vicki Betts
          vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Originally posted by vbetts
            Another question for clarity--in March, Pat and I had a long conversation on reproducing *civilian* textiles based on the homespun dresses I've researched. Mr. Daley, will you be interested in ordering anything along that line, or should I be cultivating another possible source?

Vicki Betts
            vbetts@gower.net
            To answer the last two questions:

In order to keep the prices as low as you've been accustomed to, we'll need to order 100 lbs of yarn at a time of one color to start the weaving process. 100lbs of yarn makes about 100 yards of cloth. If there is serious demand for a fabric, we'll run it. However, in the past zoauve units, Berdan's units, civilians and other specialty impressions have wanted fabrics, Pat has run them, then he's been stuck with 100 yrds of cloth when folks didn't come up with the duckets.

To start, we'll be doing the basics: grey jean, brown jean, sky blue kersey, sack flannel, blue/grey kersey, and a few other kerseys, broadcloths and satinets. From there, if someone is looking for a shade, weave or unique fabric, we can talk, but there has to be serious demand before any weaving will be done.

Let's face it, the textile business in the US is on it's death bed. While we pay mill workers in this country only $8-$12 an hour, in India, China and other nations they pay 40 cents a day (if you're lucky). Add benefits, compensation insurance and taxes, American mill owners just can't compete.

Pat makes great fabric, but when costume companies are importing sky blue 'kersey' for $4 a yard and he can't even get the yarn for less than $12 per yard.....do the math....

Moderators: At this point I think this REALLY needs to be moved to Vendor Announcements.
            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Daley
              To start, we'll be doing the basics: grey jean, brown jean, sky blue kersey, sack flannel, blue/grey kersey, and a few other kerseys, broadcloths and satinets. From there, if someone is looking for a shade, weave or unique fabric, we can talk, but there has to be serious demand before any weaving will be done.
              Chris,
              I hope you will consider carrying some indigo dyed kersey, as well. (The ordering process was sailing along up until that point today....)
              Thanks.

Rich Croxton
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Gallinipper
                Chris,
                I hope you will consider carrying some indigo dyed kersey, as well. (The ordering process was sailing along up until that point today....)
                Thanks.

Rich Croxton
                Doubt that will ever happen. It's nearly impossible to indigo dye 100lbs of yarn at time and get a consistant color. Pat and I have yet to find a company that is willing to dye using indigo and short of dying two yard pieces, I have no facilities here to do that. Ben Tart may do larger runs of 20 yards or so.
                [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

It looks like Chris has answered all relevant questions and put fears at ease. I for one am satisfied with his responses. I am locking this thread for the time being as leaving it open serves no real purpose. Im sure Chris will give us updates as they come up in the Vendor Announcement folder.
                  Last edited by Justin Runyon; 07-20-2004, 12:04 AM.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Whats with Pat Kline/FHW?

Hey:

Check it out....

"ALL RETAIL SALES ENDING NOVEMBER 30TH..."

Kevin Dally
                    Kevin Dally

Comment

Re: Whats with Pat Kline/FHW?

Chris Daley will carry the FHW line of 1860 period cloth, etc. As I understand it, he will be offering the materials at the same price as FHW offered them.

You need to go to his web site, or contact him for the details.
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Where to get good Jeancloth

Hello All,
                        I have a good question for everyone. The place in Gettysburg that I got all my Jeancloth from is not selling small lots to the public anylonger. They are selling it by 100yrd lots. Anyone know of any places to pick some up at a good price??

Your Servant,
                        K.J. Reihl
                        [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                        [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Where to get good Jeancloth

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
                          Hello All,
                          I have a good question for everyone. The place in Gettysburg that I got all my Jeancloth from is not selling small lots to the public anylonger. They are selling it by 100yrd lots. Anyone know of any places to pick some up at a good price??

Your Servant,
                          K.J. Reihl

Charlie Childs / County Cloth

Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                          – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
                            Hello All,

Your Servant,
                            K.J. Reihl
                            Add Ben Tart to the list as well.

Find domain names, web hosting and online marketing for your website -- all in one place. Network Solutions helps businesses get online and grow online with domain name registration, web hosting and innovative online marketing services.

Rob McFarland
                            2MD F&D'S

Comment

Originally posted by 2MDF&D

Find domain names, web hosting and online marketing for your website -- all in one place. Network Solutions helps businesses get online and grow online with domain name registration, web hosting and innovative online marketing services.

Rob McFarland
                              2MD F&D'S
                              I am sure you could add Chris Daley to this list, as it is most likely that he is talking about FHW, and Chris is supposed to be carrying FHW cloth.
                              ~ Chris Hubbard
                              Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                              [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by 2MDF&D

Rob McFarland
                                2MD F&D'S
                                I wouldnt, he doesnt answer phone calls or emails.
                                I have been trying to get in contact with him for 2 months, I spoke with him on the phone once and he said he would send me some samples, he never did. That was a month ago.
                                Unfortunatly no one else seems to have the jeancloth I need.
                                -------------------------------------------
                                Damon Palyka
                                11th Indiana Zouaves Co. H
                                N-SSA Miller Award Winner 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X