• Show
Clear All

• Ted Turner Options "Last Full Measure"

Needless to say, the following story has produced mixed emotions in me:

Report: Turner Options 'Last Full Measure'
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: August 1, 2004

Filed at 1:36 a.m. ET

HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) -- Even though the movie ``Gods and Generals'' was not a box office success, director and screenwriter Ron Maxwell still wants to adapt the trilogy's final book, ``The Last Full Measure,'' for the screen.

The books by Michael Shaara and his son Jeff Shaara include ``Gettysburg'' and its prequel, ``Gods and Generals.'' The third book follows the action after Gettysburg to the Confederacy's surrender.

Ted Turner has optioned ``The Last Full Measure'' for production and is ``committed in his heart to do this movie,'' Maxwell told the Herald-Mail of Hagerstown.

Washington County and City of Hagerstown officials helped Maxwell's Antietam Films in preproduction on ``Gods and Generals.'' They have offered a preproduction loan of $300,000 for ``The Last Full Measure,'' Maxwell said.

If half the movie is filmed in the county, the loan will become a grant.

[end quote]

Optimist that I am, I'm hoping "three will be a charm."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Ted Turner Options "Last Full Measure"

Optimist that I am, I'm hoping "three will be a charm."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Mark,
    Alternatively, it may be a matter of "three strikes -- you're OUT" thus doing great harm by discouraging anyone from ever again trying to do a major motion picture about the battles and leaders of the Civil War.

BTW, "Pharoah's Army" is now available on DVD. Fine low budget film with a couple big-name actors on the horrors of the war in the Kentucky highlands. Produced by Kentucky Public Television.

Not always a cynic, but not a big fan of Ron Maxwell's work.

Cordially,

Comment

As a Resident of Washington County, some people are going to be getting some really nasty phone calls...my roads suck, our infrastructure is piss poor and they are going to toss $300,000 at another farce of a movie, much less a historical account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it. I am going to run for County Commissioner and kill this thing.

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Gentlemen,

Although G&G was not everything we had hoped it to be...it did show promise. If they go through with LFM then instead of "killing" the project, what about getting so involved that we make sure that it is done right. The negativity and pessimist attitude does not advance the hobby, and does not help the public become any more educated. Let alone the fact all the whiny complaints about how bad things are are getting old, lets remember how bad things were for our men and women during that time.

We may not always agree with the director or screenwriter, but should do our best to work with them on putting out a quality piece of work. Something that does educate around a central theme, be it military, civilian, slave or what not.

Just my thoughts....not meant to start a flame war...

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Thanks for the announcement, Mark. I made the exact announcement over on Szabo's forum. I think that we should take the announcement as that and not turn it into a thread on the merits of "helping" to make a better movie.

Paul, despite your intentions of not starting a fight, your comments will. Anyone interested in reviewing the A/C memberships' view on the films, use the search engine.

Thread closed.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
          X