Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What color is it??

You're right, Robert!

I hadn't made the connection with the branch trim. As a collector of images of artillerymen I have run across this dilemma more times than I care to mention! I've often sat looking at my images wondering if any critterboys had sneaked into the cases. No matter how hard you try to be careful, there will always be a few fellers what fool you. :wink_smil
    Mark A. Pflum
    Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
    Member:
    CMH
    AHA
    Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Originally posted by Ringgold
      You're right, Robert!

I hadn't made the connection with the branch trim. As a collector of images of artillerymen I have run across this dilemma more times than I care to mention! I've often sat looking at my images wondering if any critterboys had sneaked into the cases. No matter how hard you try to be careful, there will always be a few fellers what fool you. :wink_smil
      Here is another trooper, look close he is a first Sgt.
      Attached Files
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Another good example of this can be seen almost without exception on studio images of members of the 146th New York who after June 1863 were issued a copy of the French tirailleur algeriens uniforms (despite this they were universally refered to by themselves and others as "zouaves"). As many know, the uniforms were sky blue with yellow tombeaux and trim. The sash was bright red.

Attached is an image of George Palmer; the tombeaux &cet are black. What I have never been able to figure out is the light color of his tassel; all extant examples of 146th NY fez-caps have yellow tassels as do period references to the uniform but on most 146th images I can think of the tassel looks pretty light :confused_ .

Respectfully yours,
        Tom Scoufalos
        Attached Files
        Tom Scoufalos
        [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Originally posted by RN_
          all extant examples of 146th NY fez-caps have yellow tassels as do period references to the uniform but on most 146th images I can think of the tassel looks pretty light :confused_ .

Respectfully yours,
          Tom Scoufalos

Different yellows have a different effect/appearance in period style images.

In the attached image (tintype by Bob Szabo, 2002), the dark grey sideboards of the wagon are in real life a whanging bright yellow. The light colored knitted cap on my head (woman closest to the wagon) is a much more subdued yellow/gold--and the only yellow item in the picture done with a period dye. Sister's dress had little yellow dots in the figure and they don't show at all against the predominate brown print.
          Last edited by Spinster; 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
          X