Fine looking 1816 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine looking 1816 conversion

Found this while looking for information in cyber-land for the 1816 muskets. Sure hope my lottery ticket comes through!

Take a look, it's pretty!

YOBS,

Harvey Lane
    Co.K, 6th Texas Infantry

Re: Fine looking 1816 conversion

Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. But in that last picture of the Cartouches... isn't that very similar to the one Zimmerman uses?
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Not being familiar with Zimmerman's work, I couldn't say for sure. It is a nice looking musket in waht appears to be excellent shape...........of course, the other side of the coin is if the cartouches are the real deal, and they are the same as used by Zimmerman, then that would speak well for Zimmerman.

Interesting that the seller mentions he has fired the weapon with "blanks".

The fifth picture is a 1911 pistol, took me a minute or two to figure that one out. :wink_smil

Harvey Lane
      Co.K, 6th Texas Infantry

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

The inspectors' cartouches should reflect the inspectors and the style of cartouch (oval, elipse, rectangle, square, etc) generally in use by the two arsenal and contract-work inspectors at the time the weapon was made.

I do not have much experience with Mr. Zimmerman's stamps. The only one I have seen (on five of his longarms) was the same "late" CW rectangular
        "J A Z" used on his M1861 AND M1842 items.
        There may be others, but I do not know.

I once sent my "defarbed and retroworked" M1842 to him to have the brass front sight resoldered as a matter of speed and convenience. When it came back, he had added his rectangular "JAZ" to my copy of a mid to late Springfield inspector's oval stamp. (I was not happy!)

With reference books on Springfield and Harpers Ferry arms, and/or access to originals, and a computer graphics program- one can copy these stock stamps quite easily and cheaply (doing about 20-30 stamps for $40) in wood-backed zinc or aluminum linotype.
        I do not know why these "service providers" have not gotten into this area, as it is not like having steel stamps made up individually for $200-400 EACH.
        (A pard and I had done up over a hundred once for a potential "defarb/retro" service business just myself.)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X