Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straw Hats

Hello,

Didn't find much on this when I did a search and I hope I posted this in the right area...

Does anyone know of a good supplier of straw hats? I'm looking for something pictured in the new Troiani book. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Any help or assistance is appreciated.

James Ross
    James Ross

Re: Straw Hats

Dirty Bill makes some good straw hats. I have one from him that is a spot on copy of one worn by a member of the 69th NYSM in the Summer of 1861.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob
      Dirty Bill makes some good straw hats. I have one from him that is a spot on copy of one worn by a member of the 69th NYSM in the Summer of 1861.
      Yes Bill does make them, however, they are sewn with nylon thread and are NOT correct for the period.

Look for a chain stitch COTTON thread when searching for a period correct straw hat.

Believe it or not, but period style with correct construction can be found at places such as WALMART, however, additional work will be required to make it 100% correct. If you can dye, shellack and sew a sweat band, this could be the best route.

Side note, there is a vendor who sells correct straw hats for 1820's-1840's who will be at the fair at New Boston (Dayton / Springfield Ohio Labor Day weekend), some styles correct, but some are not, and they are really reasonable.

Hope this helps,
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Billy had a man making straw hats for him some time ago which were said to be the best repros available. Sadly, that man has passed away, and I don't know if any of his products are still on the shelves. It's worth asking, though. Check out the new shop on Baltimore St. (next to Abe's Antiques) if you ever have a chance.
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

It is right the straws hats sold by DB are sewn with a nylon thread but the shapes look good.
          Bill Wickam say he use nylon because it is strongest than others threads !!!!!!! :(

Several years ago, I had bought one from him and just unsewn it and sewn it with heavy linen thread and ad a home made black oilcloth sweatband.
          It was a hard job but now I am very proud of my hat and wear it in reenactments, when it is appropriate, but also sometime in my everyday life.
          To say the hat is well used and the new sewn are strong, even with natural thread. ;)
          [I]Gettysburg 1993
          Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

The attached item is for your perusal and comment. The troops depicted wearing straw hats were reportedly those of the 16th New York Volunteer Infantry, which had recently taken receipt of a large number of straw hats from well-wishers back home. I noted a number of other individuals wearing light-colored headgear but did not include them since I couldn't tell for sure if their hats were made of straw.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Another side note, keep an eye out at antique shops. I have attached an image of a straw hat that I picked up for $10.00, and it is very similar to Tim Benders "Bell crown".

Image of Tim Bender's Bell crown is from:
              Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

I'm wondering if Amish or Mennonite staw hats would be appropriate as well. I saw quite a few of these when I went up to Yoder's Department Store, in Shipshewana IN, a few months ago.

Thoughts?

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The straw hat vendor is Jim Patton. He will be set up at The Fair at New Boston (Springfield, Ohio) with the Millinery Shop, which is right next to the Black Horse Tavern (can life get better than cools hats and beer?). It is worth going to the Fair if only to shop at the Wooded Hamlet for trims & tapes, or Patrick Cunningham for tin, or Rob Stone for hand woven blankets, Burnley & Trowbridge for cool fabrics, the list goes on and on and on. Definately worth the drive. Oh, it is only the Saturday and Sunday of the Labour Day weekend.

Ericka Mason
                  (Who is one of the milliners of the Millinery Shop :) )
                  [I][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=Sienna]Ericka Mason[/COLOR]

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Obviously Pat "Tin Man" Cunningham keeps a busy schedule doing...something. I've been trying to contact him for 15 months (including TWO letters) to make some things for me and he's never responded. Must be nice to pick and choose your customers, I guess.....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Caldwell
                      Believe it or not, but period style with correct construction can be found at places such as WALMART, however, additional work will be required to make it 100% correct. If you can dye, shellack and sew a sweat band, this could be the best route.
                      I agree with Mr. Caldwell for just that reason and would add K-Mart to the list as I saw a likely candidate just yesterday. You can still get hats that are actually woven straw or palm, as opposed to sewn, and that is much more period accurate and common. Straw hats were worn on spring/summer campaigns and regarded as seasonally discardable items. If you don't believe me, just read George Stevens' "Three Years in the 6th Corps" description of the Federal army coming out of the Seven Days' Battles falling back on Harrison's Landing. He says the troops were wearing all manner of hats and caps, including hats made out of straw and palm. It was based on that observation that I wore a straw hat as SGT of one of the companies of the 83rd PVI at Berkeley Hundred in 2002. It looked good and wore even better in the heat.

Good straw hats or caps should be represented. Problem is that they are hard to find and Mr. Wickham's fishingline sewn hats and caps do not help fill the bill. Good luck finding a good one.
                      David Culberson
                      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Mr. Caldwell, any chance on getting one like the one pictured? Ornis there any other websites that out there that show some of these hats? There's no way I can make it New Boston.

James Ross
                        James Ross

Comment

Here are two more images (see attachment) of men wearing straw hats. Anybody know where we can find similar items today?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Here is yet another nice image--probably one of the best I've seen--showing an officer's straw hat. D'ya suppose anybody makes something this nice these days?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Greetings all,

Another thing I'd like to mention is that do not be alarmed if it has a zig-zag stitch. I happen to own an 1862 straw bonnet machine that was used for sewing bonnets. It came as a lot of machines that were being tossed out from a now, long defunct bonnet manufacturer in Oregon. All of them were handcrank machines too. These sweet beauties were given away to anyone who wanted one and the rest were scraped. Isn't that painful to hear? No doubt some have made their way to antique stores and ebay.

Mfr,
                              Judith Peebles
                              Mfr,
                              Judith Peebles.
                              No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
                              [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X