Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straw Hats

Originally posted by Matt Caldwell
    Believe it or not, but period style with correct construction can be found at places such as WALMART, however, additional work will be required to make it 100% correct. If you can dye, shellack and sew a sweat band, this could be the best route.
    Just curious, being that I know little about period straw hats, but what color and why were they dyed? Also, I realize a sweatband would be necessary, but were all straw hats of the period dyed and shellacked?
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb
      Just curious, being that I know little about period straw hats, but what color and why were they dyed? Also, I realize a sweatband would be necessary, but were all straw hats of the period dyed and shellacked?
      The short answer would be "no." Please check the images I have posted previously and you'll quickly see that some appear to be shellacked while others do not.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

My new computer didn't come with Office, and I don't know any other way to view those pics you posted, Mark. I do appreciate your assistance, and I wish I were better able to use it, but that is no fault of yours.
        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Originally posted by markj
          Here are two more images (see attachment) of men wearing straw hats. Anybody know where we can find similar items today?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          I visited this hat shop while in Bisbee, AZ a few years ago:

While his web page does not currently show any mid-19thc styles, the owner had some on display in his shop when we there. Upon inquiry, he told me that he can reproduce virtually any style straw hat from any period, using appropriate construction techniques. I can confirm that his workmanship is impeccable; like all finely-crafted items it is priced accordingly.
          Carolann Schmitt
          [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
          20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

"If you can dye, shellack and sew a sweat band, this could be the best route."

By sweatband, do you mean a leather sweatband as seen on felt hats or do you mean a cotton or linen sweatband/half lining?

I have seen the linen route on 18th century straw hats, but I have not seen any surviving 19th century straw hats in depth enough to make a determination.
            Brian Koenig
            SGLHA
            Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Hello,

If anyone can get a contact name/number/email for the gentleman who makes or sells the straw hats at New Boston this weekend I'd appreciate it immensly!!!

James Ross
              James Ross

Comment

I too would be very interested in a good straw hat connection. I've been researching the California Gold Rush period and various styles of straw hats are particularly evident. I thought Dirty Billy's stuff looked good. Had no idea he was using nylon thread. Bums me out. If anyone could post that guy's contact info next week I would sure be appreciative.

Thanks,
                Andrew Quist
                quist77@yahoo.com
                Andrew Quist
                Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
                www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Here are two pictures of the hat that I purchased. My camera battery died and I couldnt get a picture of the inside. It is sewn with linnen thread and no fishline at all. I got it for $20 at Old Surbridge Village in (www.osv.org) I looked on their on line store for them and didnt see them but if you call you cam probably order one. If you go to that site you can buy a book for $5.95 which tells you how to make your own.
                  Those of you not familiar with OLD Sturbridge Village it is a musuem of 30 or so orginal houses from around New England dedicated to showing early 19th century life in New England. I did walk into one home and saw a woman braiding the same straw that hat is made out of but sadly I didnt ask her about it.
                  Attached Files
                  I am, etc.
                  Thomas Gingras
                  Awkward Squad Mess
                  Columbia Rifles
                  Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Originally posted by MassVOL
                    Here are two pictures of the hat that I purchased. My camera battery died and I couldnt get a picture of the inside. It is sewn with linnen thread and no fishline at all. I got it for $20 at Old Surbridge Village in (www.osv.org) I looked on their on line store for them and didnt see them but if you call you cam probably order one. If you go to that site you can buy a book for $5.95 which tells you how to make your own.
                    Those of you not familiar with OLD Sturbridge Village it is a musuem of 30 or so orginal houses from around New England dedicated to showing early 19th century life in New England. I did walk into one home and saw a woman braiding the same straw that hat is made out of but sadly I didnt ask her about it.
                    I didn't see any hats offered through the OSV website but I did find the hat making book in the Gift Shop section. It's called:

Handcrafted Straw Hats

Author June Garges spent years studying rye straw hat making of early America. Here she has compiled her knowledge of historical and technical information, tracing the entire process -- from cultivating rye (for the straw) to step-by-step instructions for making a variety of straw hats. A great way to learn and preserve this unique early home art. 40 pp. Paperback

Price $5.95

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Gentlemen,
                      While at New boston this weekend,we went looking for the straw hat man,Jim Patton.I had a chance to meet 2 AC'ers and got to put a face with the names.First the good news,the hats look great and I got the e-mail and contact info for the seller.The bad news is that the hats are sewn with nylon thread.They are made in America and you can't see the thread but it's there.The maker feels that the cotton thread will not hold up with the abuse and sweat.He has 3 types available.A short brim high crown that was in fashion for the "city" fellers from late 18th to late 19th century(approx. 1780 to 1870). If anyome has info to the contrary,I would like to hear about it.the last 2 hats are shorter crown and from ver,very wide brim to moderate brim.
                      For your info,the following contact : jwpatton3@att.net.
                      snail mail: Jim Patton
                      1550 Cherry Road
                      Springfield,Il.
                      phone:217-546-4645
                      Regards,Rick Harris
                      Rick Harris

Comment

I got to see him while I was there, but was in a hurry and didn't check into the hats' details.
                        Rick Bailey
                        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I have found straw hat at craft fairs in Central Kentucky. These come from some of the local Amish in the area. Seems they (Amish) don't desire a crowd coming to them, but will sell to a select few who then resell at craft show.

Fritz Jacobs
                          CPTFritz@aol.com
                          Fritz Jacobs
                          CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
                          [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

Mr. Harris,

Thank you so very much for your efforts! It is appreciated!

James Ross
                            James Ross

Comment

I have found straw hat at craft fairs in Central Kentucky. These come from some of the local Amish in the area.
                              Fritz,

Becareful with what you buy from the Amish....

The sweatband may be the wrong size and might be sewn in with polyester thread. Just because the Amish made it, don't always mean it's 100% athentic for our use.

I own an Amish made bowler and everything on the inside of the hat needed to be re-worked.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                              Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN
                                Fritz,

Becareful with what you buy from the Amish....

The sweatband may be the wrong size and might be sewn in with polyester thread. Just because the Amish made it, don't always mean it's 100% athentic for our use.

I own an Amish made bowler and everything on the inside of the hat needed to be re-worked.
                                But, man, after being re-worked, it sure looks awesome!
                                Last edited by JimConley; 09-07-2004, 12:21 PM. Reason: Typo on such a simple response, ha
                                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X