Straw Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straw Hats

But, man, after being re-worked it sure looks awesome!
    Thanks Jim, it's one of my favorites...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

Thanks for all the information Fellers. Really appreciate the help. I remember some of the hats at OSV and I'll look into them.

Andrew Quist
      Andrew Quist
      Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
      www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

I got a pretty good one from the Kidron Town & Country Store in Kidron OH. It's a typical flat Amish made very similar to the officer's straw shown in an earlier post on this thread, the one with the big ribbon tied in a bow. $14.98 plus $6.00 shipping.

Of course the sweatband and ribbon had to be corrected but the straw part of the hat is real nice. I was at Old Sturbridge Village this past July and saw the hats in the gift shop and I think the Kidron hat is a notch above in terms of quality.

Andrew, you saw my hat in the wagon lot at Knight's Ferry.

Jack Doyle

Comment

Chums,

I've been rooting around in onling google searches, and I've come up with a website that sells quite a bit of 19th century civilian clothing (I have no idea what sort of authenticity...), the company is apparently based in Canada, and offer a few high quality top hats from what I can tell. Their address online can be found at: Hats

Any thoughts? Anyone ever purchased anything through them?

Hoping the foregoing is of interest,
          -Nicholas Redding
          Respectfully,

Nicholas Redding

[url]http://preservationbivouac.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Just to give you a warning on Amish straw hats, unless you rework one like Aaron did, they really aren't as authentic as you think. Jim Patton, the straw hat vendor, ripped one up at a museum conference session on straw hats, just because he was tired of seeing them in living history. If you bought it at Kidron, I can guarantee that it is not a completely correct straw hat. The weave of the straw, the band, and the type of thread used(or lack thereof) all help dictate a good straw hat. Does this mean the straw hat that I have with the green visor in it isn't period??? :wink_smil

Rick Musselman
            Buckeye Mess
            GHTI
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
            Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
            President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
            Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

Just to give you a warning on Amish straw hats, unless you rework one like Aaron did, they really aren't as authentic as you think.
              Just to clarify, my Amish bowler hat is made out of wool felt, and not straw. It's an old school black hat that I bought off of Larry Strayer. The reworking on the inside of the hat, was pretty simple.

Rick,

I agree with you about Amish straw hats and people need to be careful with what they buy.
              Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 09-10-2004, 04:36 PM.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
              Cincinnati

Comment

Hey Jack,

I forgot about that hat. I looked up the store you're talking about and saw the hat again. It does look good. It might be what I'm looking for.

Andrew Quist
                Andrew Quist
                Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
                www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Does anyone have descriptions/pictures/construction notes on surviving original straw hats of the period so those in the market for one will know what to look for and what to avoid? What kind of weaves were in use/popular? What kind of lining/sweatbands? Construction?

These are questions that period photographs alone cannot answer. I think it would be more constructive (and also further the ideals of this forum) to give characteristics of proper hats than to just throw some makers names to the masses.
                  Brian Koenig
                  SGLHA
                  Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Working...
                  X