Funny stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny stuff

Many of you may have seen this before but I just came across it and thought it was quite a hoot. Figured there were others like me that might find it amusing.

Lt. George Derby was a topo engineer who served in California in the 1850's. He evidently was a pretty witty fellow and designed some changes to the uniform. The results can be seen here.

Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Funny stuff

(See Figure 5.)
    5. The advantages which the hook possesses on the score of humanity, in doing away with the objectionable punishment of "bucking" are worthy of consideration. By attaching the hook to a permanent staple in a wall, the soldier is effectually secured without doing that violence to his feelings of self-respect which the passage of a stick between his legs is calculated to occasion;

The parallels to the recent, deplorable practice of issuing "time out cards" to recruits so that they may avoid the withering attentions of drill instructors until such time as they may feel better able to handle them is obvious. Is the military still issuing them? I hope not.
    Yr Most Ob't Serv't,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance

Comment

Frenchie,

Never heard of such a thing but it's been a long time since I was there. My son just joined the army so I'll try to find out about time out cards.

Ron Myzie

"The parallels to the recent, deplorable practice of issuing "time out cards" to recruits so that they may avoid the withering attentions of drill instructors until such time as they may feel better able to handle them is obvious. Is the military still issuing them? I hope not. [/QUOTE]"

Comment

The book "Squibob - An Early California Humorist" by George Derby is still available. It is at Squibob Press, Inc. They have a website.

Chris Ownby

Comment

The parallels to the recent, deplorable practice of issuing "time out cards" to recruits so that they may avoid the withering attentions of drill instructors until such time as they may feel better able to handle them is obvious. Is the military still issuing them? I hope not. [/QUOTE]

This was an "experiment" (no doubt DACOWITS related ) in one company at Fort Jackson about 8 years ago. It was done for one or two cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchie
            The parallels to the recent, deplorable practice of issuing "time out cards" to recruits so that they may avoid the withering attentions of drill instructors until such time as they may feel better able to handle them is obvious. Is the military still issuing them? I hope not.
            The Navy experimented with them for a while too, but according to son Kelly, who just graduated from Navy basic training at Great Lakes last Friday, they were done away with some time ago. Of course he said he'd have been ashamed to use one anyway, after 23 years in the 19th Century ranks ...
            "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
            Third U.S. Regular Infantry
            http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Working...
            X