Research assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research assistance needed

Being out on the edge of the world, getting to libraries & historical societies back east to view items in Special Collections is tough. If there is anyone that could lend me a hand in checking out these items listed below, I'd be very appreciative. A small NCO position in Co C, 82ndOVI at McDowell could be negotiated.

I would like to see if this document has anything pertinent to the actions in the Lost River region in April '62:
    Hawse, Jasper Diary, Sept. 10, 1861-Aug. 1, 1864 (14th VA Militia also, 17th Battalion, Co. B and11th Regt.), typescript, 112 pages. John Hawse Collection
    Ask for MMF-Civil War Diaries/Letters, Hawse, Jasper; 53 WFCHS
    This is located Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room of the Handley Regional Library at the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.

I'd also like to see if these letters at VA Tech have any information on the pre-McDowell service of the 82nd or the battle of McD itself:
    Asa Baldwin Letter Collection. Asa Baldwin. 82nd OVI. 5 letters. Call Number. Ms88-079. Special Collections Department. University Libraries. Virginia Tech. Blacksburg. VA. 1997

These are in the USAMHI collections at the Carlisle Barracks:
    Lee, Alfred E. "Campaigning in the Mountain Department." Mag Am Hist 15 (l885): pp. 391-96, 483-91 & 590-95 (21 photocopied pages). Per.

Hutchinson, Ephraim - CWTIColl (Enlisted man, Co. D, letters, Feb 14-May 21, 1862 & Feb 8, 1864)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll either watch this thread for any info or you can email me at TeamsterPhil@aol.com .

Phil Campbell
    Raising Co C, 82nd OVI for McDowell'05.
    Phil Campbell

Re: Research assistance needed

[QUOTE=TeamsterPhil]
    I'd also like to see if these letters at VA Tech have any information on the pre-McDowell service of the 82nd or the battle of McD itself:
    Asa Baldwin Letter Collection. Asa Baldwin. 82nd OVI. 5 letters. Call Number. Ms88-079. Special Collections Department. University Libraries. Virginia Tech. Blacksburg. VA. 1997

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll either watch this thread for any info or you can email me at TeamsterPhil@aol.com .

Phil Campbell

Phil,

Since there are only five letters in the Special Collections, you may wish to ask them about making copies of the letters or if they have already transcribed them, they could send you a transcription.

I've worked with the Special Collections at VA Tech quite a bit and have found them very helpful.

Other special collections or libraries may be able to offer the same service.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Phil,

Have you tried going to your local library with the info you've posted here, to see if they can obtain it for you via interlibrary loan? ILL is an extremely useful research device. You may incur a charge for photocopying. No guarantees -- not every holding library is willing to share their resources, but generally they will. I've gotten stuff from the library at Carlisle Barracks through interlibrary loan.

Good luck!
      Ron Myzie

Originally posted by TeamsterPhil
      Being out on the edge of the world, getting to libraries & historical societies back east to view items in Special Collections is tough. If there is anyone that could lend me a hand in checking out these items listed below, I'd be very appreciative. A small NCO position in Co C, 82ndOVI at McDowell could be negotiated.

I would like to see if this document has anything pertinent to the actions in the Lost River region in April '62:
      Hawse, Jasper Diary, Sept. 10, 1861-Aug. 1, 1864 (14th VA Militia also, 17th Battalion, Co. B and11th Regt.), typescript, 112 pages. John Hawse Collection
      Ask for MMF-Civil War Diaries/Letters, Hawse, Jasper; 53 WFCHS
      This is located Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room of the Handley Regional Library at the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.

These are in the USAMHI collections at the Carlisle Barracks:
      Lee, Alfred E. "Campaigning in the Mountain Department." Mag Am Hist 15 (l885): pp. 391-96, 483-91 & 590-95 (21 photocopied pages). Per.

Hutchinson, Ephraim - CWTIColl (Enlisted man, Co. D, letters, Feb 14-May 21, 1862 & Feb 8, 1864)

Phil Campbell
      Raising Co C, 82nd OVI for McDowell'05.

Comment

You might shoot a note to Bill Cross since I believe he's already seen some, if not all, of these items. I think I've seen some of them too

I have already ordered microfilmed editions of the Kenton OH "Democrat" and Kenton "Republican" to see what they say. As you likely know, the 82nd OVI was organized at Kenton in December 1861. I've already looked at pertinent numbers of the German-language Columbus OH Westbote. Not too much reportage on McDowell but I did find a heretofore unknown letter (written in German and dated 8 April 1862) by Captain John Rieg, Company D, 82nd OVI. I haven't fully translated it but can give you the gist of it if need be.

I think I've got some other things that will assist you and I'll post them as I find them. I also have a scanned copy of the September 1982 "Civil War Times Illustrated" article about the 82nd OVI entitled: "McDowell: Our Little Band of Heroes" (this contains correspondence by Private Ephraim Hutchison describing the McDowell engagement). I can't post the article here due to copyright issues but if you'll shoot me a note at:

markj@purdue.edu

I'll fire it out to you.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Please see attachments. These deal with Robert Huston "The Gray Eagle" Milroy (who lived just north of where I currently reside in Indiana) as well as his letter discussing the action at McDowell.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

For everyone interested in background on the 82nd OVI, I found the following source interesting when researching Company D for the last McDowell.

There's only a passing reference to the Lost River Expedition, but there's a lot of good material on the history of Marion County from a book published not too long after the war:

http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Mario...3/mh1883IV.htm (has a history of the 82nd and other regiments that recruited locally)

http://www.heritagepursuit.com/Mario...arionIndex.htm (toc for the book)
            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
            X