Confederate Issue shirt opinon poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Issue shirt opinon poll

Ryan sent this message to the moderators explaining the purpose of the post. With this explanation, we decided to reinstate the post.

With my post I was simply trying to do a test poll on the market that I feel would be most interested in a reproduction of this caliber. It is not my intent to personally produce this shirt, nor would I find a tailor that does not meet the high standards of this forum and our hobby. In order for me to accomplish this project, I will have to convince my superiors at the museum that there is, indeed, a market for this reproduction. Basically I will have to write a marketing report. This is why I entitled my post a opinion poll and not a new item on the market. The first shirt has not been made, we at the musuem are not taking orders and for that matter it may be a good year before the project even goes into production stage.

I am doing some research for a project through the Old Capitol Museum in Jacksons Mississippi. Basically I am wanting to see if there is any market out there for this product. What we have in our collection is a id'd Confederate issue shirt. It was worn by Henry A. Magruder of Ward's Battery Army of Northern Virginia. He was wounded at Cold Harbor while wearing this shirt. The shirt still contains the bullet hole and blood stains on the sleeve. The shirt is a simple shirt, it has two patch pockets on the front, four button placket, and fold over collar. The shirt was worn in the field and could be off white in color to a light grey. I am not an expert but the material appears to be a cotton. I would like to reproduce a run of this shirt for around 100 dollars and have all profits going to the preservation of the shirt. I am going to try and put a picture of the shirt up on Sunday. Let me know if there is any interest in this.

Thanks
    Ryan Meyer
    Skulkers Mess
    Collections Manager
    Old Capitol Museum
    Last edited by dusty27; 08-27-2004, 08:38 AM.
    Ryan Meyer
    Skulker's Mess (Germany)
    Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Confederate Issue shirt opinon poll

I know I would buy a well-made repro of a documented shirt if the proceeds went to preservation! Keep me updated.

-Dave Eggleston
    Dave Eggleston

Comment

One Sold, send me a bill!

Chris Clements
      Chris Clements

Comment

I would also be interested.
        Bill Treadway
        Co. A First Texas Infantry
        Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
        Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Comment

Absolutely. Where do I send the check?
          Michael McComas
          drudge-errant

Comment

Count me in...
            ~ Chris Hubbard
            Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
            [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I have visited your museum and would consider it quite the bargain to get a first class shirt and support your fine work for only $100. Count me in. Thomas N. Rachal.
              Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

I'm interested.

Court Micker

Comment

I too would appreciate another option for a Confederate Shirt, especially a documented, well made Issue Shirt.
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Would it be possible to post some images of the shirt and documentation for the "issue" provenance of this garment? Confederate issued shirts are hard to pin down and I would love to add more information to the search.

Also, would a pattern be made available as well with the proceeds going to preservation?

Thanks!!
                    Brian Koenig
                    SGLHA
                    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Issue shirts for both sides are very underrepresented, especially within the CS ranks. A high quality repro of a documented CS issue shirt is always welcome. The idea that a portion goes to preservation always sparks my intrest.
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I would be interested.
                        Bill Reagan
                        23rd Reg't
                        Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

To paraphrase a former President's observation, "It all depends on what the meaning of 'issue' is." For example, as I have noted elsewhere, in October 1862 the CS QM placed notices in the Richmond VA "Enquirer" requesting various clothing items including shirts. Once they had arrived at their point of destination, these shirts were to be "issued" to troops for whom they were intended.

As a side-bar, military goods suppliers "M. M. Davis," "Jacob Kull & Co.," "Isaac Robinson," and others advertised various types of shirts in the Petersburg VA "Daily Express" intended for the military trade. Here is just a sampling for 1861:

"Checked and striped shirts"
                          "Gray fatigue [shirts]"
                          "Flannel Shirts" ("Blue Flannel" is mentioned as being available so these may have been blue as well)
                          "Grey flannel shirts"
                          "Dark Gray Shirting"
                          "Checked shirting"
                          "White Merino [Wool] Shirts"
                          "Manufactured Colored Shirts"
                          "White Gents' Linen Bosom Shirts"

The firm of "Morris W. Rose," of No. 47 Sycamore Street, Petersburg, also declared, "Especial attention is invited to a very superior article of MILITARY SHIRTS, just the thing for our patriotic soldiers now engaged in the war. These Shirts are admirably made, of the best material, and comprise many conveniences, which will be readily appreciated by the wearer."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I also noticed, in the 14 August 1861 "Express," that the following was advertised by T. W. Royston & Co., No. 51 1/2 Sycamore Street, Petersburg, for sale to the troops:

"plain cassimere shirts"
                            "fancy cassimere shirts"
                            "gingham shirts"
                            "calico shirts"

Now if we only knew what they actually looked like.....

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Count this ol' Reb in too!

Comment

Working...
                              X