Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if.....?

All,

I am just curious, for the sake of discussion, what if an orginization like the N-SSA existed that catered to more Authentic elements of the hobby?

Shooting as-issued firearms, artillery etc.

Would you be interested?

Would you join?

Would you want it to be competitive?

Curious as to everyones input.

Mark Latham
    Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Re: What if.....?

I'd be interested. There's probably a bunch of guys already in the NSSA who would be as well. I personally don't see the point of competitive shooting with something that merely outwardly resembles a CW-era firearm. Also, if some of the events could be restructured (i.e. leaving out the speed of loading incentive) the type of repro firearms available could be affected. Currently, sales of the repro Spencer aren't as high as they could be, because they don't shoot as fast as some other types.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

I'd be interested. It's an intriguing idea.
      James Brenner

Comment

I would be interested but I would not be optimistic of it coming into being. For now I will just stick with the Garand matches.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Dang! And a pard just introduced me to trap-shooting a month ago...

The "sport" could be as per N-SSA, just with "original style" as-issued weaponry firing "original style as-issued cartridges."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Herr Schmidt

That's just how I see it operating. The emphasis would be on shooting skill and adherence to original specs, and not on amount of mods, speed, etc. It could be quite fun, as well as educational.
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Latham
              All,

I am just curious, for the sake of discussion, what if an orginization like the N-SSA existed that catered to more Authentic elements of the hobby?

Would you be interested?

Would you join?

Mark Latham
              Uhoh! What are you up to now?? Sign me up!
              Paul Manzo
              Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Actually it is not a bad idea. The high power rifles matches have over the years became more of a technology race rather than competion with issue type weapons. Then along came the John C. Garand matches where the weapon must be an average standard issue M-1. No National Match parts or other modifications are allowed, you are limited to shooting an M-1 in a configuration that the average soldier would have been issued.

This is a match that is encompassed in the larger high power community and with some modifications the rules could be applied to an NSSA match using as issued weapons or as close to issue as the reproductions currently allow.
                Last edited by JimKindred; 08-27-2004, 07:38 PM.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by M.Latham
                  All,

Would you be interested?

Would you join?

Mark Latham
                  Crud, I'd be happy if there was even a farby NSSA chapter within a day's drive of me. I'll volunteer to be the chairman of the Intermountain West Chapter of whatever you decide to call your new organization.

To answer your questions specifically:
                  Yes, I'd be interested.
                  Yes, I'd join.
                  Yes, I think it should be comptitive (with BIG fat three foot tall trophies for first place).

Don't let this die on the vine!

Comment

This sounds like a great idea-on a long shot, if enough people got interested and participated, it could force the companies that are shoving the incorrect but no alternative firearms on us to make the firearms correct- an issue we have all lamented.
                    William R. Fabus

Comment

Ok,

so there is a certain amount of interest...

What if... it existed as part of the N-SSA as a separate category, teams using only as issued rifle-muskets, carbines etc.

Would the N-SSA umbrella be a hinderance?

What is your biggest turn off about the N-SSA?

Would a seperate Association be the way to go?

Should it only encompass Civil War?

Thinking aloud....

Mark Latham
                      Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Sounds like what drove the formation of the International Defensive Pistol Association. Many members of the IDPA didn't like how the IPSC (International Practical Shooting Comfederation) type shoots were going away from basic defensive shooting, and the "Full Race" guns took over.

Out of this disgruntled membership about IPSC not being "Practical" anymore, was born IDPA. These members formed their own new umbrella organization with guidelines that suited their shooting styles, with a basic premise of "defensive" shooting.

I think an authentic and practical "period" shooting organization would be a hoot. No trigger jobs, bedded barrels, special loads, just shooting scenarios based on practical period marksmanship with unmodified weapons. Meaning to say "Historically Accurized " aka: Defarbed. weapons.

I would like to see if such organized shoots would fly, count me in for a trial shoot at least.
                        Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                        Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                        Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Hmmmmmmmm.

As a former 17 year member of the N-SSA... ;-)

Would the N-SSA umbrella be a hinderance? No.

What is your biggest turn off about the N-SSA? I moved on into reenacting and then Living History, and away form their loosely costumed competitive shooting. And now, "Galtroops." ;-)

Would a seperate Association be the way to go? Indeed.

Should it only encompass Civil War? Not at all, but things get diluted. (Not to pick on matchlock shooters or M-16 shooters...) ;-)

I am a bit critical here. I do not believe there would be enough interest to sustain an association or organization. Don't know though.

An N-SSA member ALWAYS has the option of shooting an "as issued weapon" with "as issued" ammunition now. And a team or member "not in the medals" can always give up the "tweaked" guns and loads" any time. How many do?

Or, would the incentive be a "level playing/competitive field" where like our old worn out and uneven original 1862 3 Inch Ordnance Rifle versus the modern 90mm tank barrels disguised as CW cannon....

Are there not, already, too many "shooting groups" out there now for a limited number of potential or probable "shooters?" ;-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't mind it being part of the NSSA. The level playing field would be the biggest incentive to me. I would prefer to pull out a beeswax and tallow dipped paper cartridge from my correct cartridge box and see how the issued minnie ball flies downrange from a musket that has only been modified to be more like the original item. While yes, I could conceivably be better than the guy next to me using a modern designed bullet from his fiberglass bedded barrel with modern rifling, that guy does have an edge.

It would also be more of a challenge. A league or event within the NSSA that is possibly more difficult could attract a lot of attention from the current membership without encouraging deviciveness. I'd say it's worth a try.
                            Phil Graf

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb
                              Personally, I wouldn't mind it being part of the NSSA. The level playing field would be the biggest incentive to me. I would prefer to pull out a beeswax and tallow dipped paper cartridge from my correct cartridge box and see how the issued minnie ball flies downrange from a musket that has only been modified to be more like the original item. .
                              Any member of the N-SSA is certainly welcomed to do this... (said as I roll my as issued paper ammunition for our next regional)

One example, along a similar line that I can think of, is the 1st U.S.S.S. that competes in the N-SSA "Breechloading Rifle/Carbine II" class which is in effect a "Henry Rifle" (almost-got-it-close-to-right-reproductions) Match with Sharps Rifles, using original new model type cartridges, in full uniform often including knapsacks. Are they at a disadvantage to those who are shooting the Henry Rifle, sure are. BUT, there is surely a place for them "on the line". And they are firing what was a 'standard" or at least common arm in the war rather than the...well...Henry "Reproduction."

It would also be more of a challenge.
                              As noted above!!! :)

A league or event within the NSSA that is possibly more difficult could attract a lot of attention from the current membership without encouraging deviciveness.
                              The idea of a league within the N-SSA is the best idea that I see making this work. With the larger "shooters only" community combined with the moderatley interested in history types as a context in which to put the authentics, it surely makes those being authentic clearly among the "hard corps", as it has been said.

The only part that I don't see working (well...easily) is that unfortunately many of those "shooters only" see any thing with the "A" word (authenticity) as an afront, an attack, and the "reenactorization" of "skirmishing". This is very sad, and very devisive.

This being a public forum, that is about all I wish to add about that.

I'd say it's worth a try.
                              It can happen if there were more people on the inside that wished it to happen. I know there is surely a base of interested parties among the current membership. Phil, you would definately add to that!
                              ~ Chris Hubbard
                              Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                              [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X