CD jackets shipped to Richmond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD jackets shipped to Richmond?

Is anyone reading or have a copy of "Confederate Industry" by Harold Wilson? If you do, read the second paragraph on page 82. If I am reading the paragraph correct, the Columbus Depot shipped fourteen railroad cars of uniforms to the Richmond Depot in June of 1862. If so, this may explain some CD jackets in the ANV after that shipment.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Re: CD jackets shipped to Richmond?

Haven't seen the book but in transcribing and reviewing shipment invoices of the Augusta Arsenal from 62-65, one of the things that surprised me was how much material went both west to the AoT, north to Richmond, and to coastal units.

Speaking strictly of the QM system, it made me wonder how much of the concept of division between eastern and western theater is based on our own prejudices. What kind of insights does the book offer on this topic?

(Jim, I realize I took your very specific uniform question and broadened to a question on the whole CS depot system -- but it's an interest that I haven't explored much yet and you gave me an opening)

YOS,
    Daniel Fodera
    Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

Havn't gotten much past page 85 or 86. Some parts are extremely dry but there is some good information concerning the production of the mills throughout the Confederacy and how little was going to the CS government until 1864 when Gen. Lawton got things up and running and inspected the output of all the mills. One interesting tidbit to those who sew... In the Atlanta depot a seamstress could make one garmet (shirt) a day. With all the seamstress working on shirts the output was 90,000 a month. Thats a lot of shirts!
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo
        Is anyone reading or have a copy of "Confederate Industry" by Harold Wilson? If you do, read the second paragraph on page 82. If I am reading the paragraph correct, the Columbus Depot shipped fourteen railroad cars of uniforms to the Richmond Depot in June of 1862. If so, this may explain some CD jackets in the ANV after that shipment.
        Jim,

I don't have the reference handy at work, but in the OR there is a record of correspondence between the QM Department in Richmond and Lee's army. The QM Department is unable to fill a requisition for shoes, and the officer notes that ordinarily they would just have the order filled from Columbus, but that Federal troop movements had cut the rail lines. The point is that the QM Dep't talks about shipping items from Columbus to Richmond as if it were routine.

If you have the OR on disk, just do a search on "Columbus Depot" and you should turn up the reference.
        Bill Reagan
        23rd Reg't
        Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Here is part of a post from Lee White that I saved long ago. There is some great info:

Ok, here are the pieces of the puzzle. COLUMBUS DAILY SUN, SEPTEMBER 16, 1862. "SUPPLIES FOR THE ARMY" "We have observed for several days large numbers of huge boxes being hooped and marked for shipment, from the Quartermaster's department, in our city. Upon making inquiries at headquarters, we find that within a very short period of time, there have been made up and shipped from our city, supplies as follows: Six carloads of Clothings and Shoes for the army at Richmond, VA.
          30,000 garments to Gen Tilgham.
          5,000 " " Army of West VA
          7,000 " " Army of Arkansas
          3,000 " " Texas Rangers
          17,000 " " en. Bragg's Army.
          Anyone wh will consider the vast amount of larbor required to produce so large an amount of clothing for our army, will candidtly admit that our city and its working women and men have done nobly..."

Now the description; "Letters to Mary, THe Civil War Diary of John K. Farris (41st TN)" FRANKLIN COUNTY (TN) HIST REVIEW, Vol. XXV (1994) pg 53. In a letter dated November 2, 1862 from Camp Cold Water near Holly Springs, MS. "Gen Tighlman's Divison, much the largest of the two, made quite a fine appearance. They were all dressed and equipped exactly alike. THey al had on grey Caps and Coats with sky blue pants. THe coats are round abouts-the cuffs and collar trimed with blue. I got a good look at Gen. Price, Ven Vandorn, Gen Lovell & Gen. Tighlman, all of whom have command of a divison. Gen. Tighlman, I suppose, has about the best troops under him there is in the Service at the present time. His men have all been prisoners except Wall's Texas legion, numbering 15 hundred."
          Tighlman's command was at this time made up of men that were captured at Fort Donelson and released in the late summer/ealy fall and thus had to be resupplied and equipped. SO now we have a description of clothing from Columbus, also seeing how many places Columbus was sending stuff too.

Lee
          Paul Manzo
          Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            Here is part of a post from Lee White that I saved long ago. There is some great info:

Ok, here are the pieces of the puzzle. COLUMBUS DAILY SUN, SEPTEMBER 16, 1862. "SUPPLIES FOR THE ARMY" "We have observed for several days large numbers of huge boxes being hooped and marked for shipment, from the Quartermaster's department, in our city. Upon making inquiries at headquarters, we find that within a very short period of time, there have been made up and shipped from our city, supplies as follows: Six carloads of Clothings and Shoes for the army at Richmond, VA.
            30,000 garments to Gen Tilgham.
            5,000 " " Army of West VA
            7,000 " " Army of Arkansas
            3,000 " " Texas Rangers
            17,000 " " en. Bragg's Army.
            Anyone wh will consider the vast amount of larbor required to produce so large an amount of clothing for our army, will candidtly admit that our city and its working women and men have done nobly..."

Now the description; "Letters to Mary, THe Civil War Diary of John K. Farris (41st TN)" FRANKLIN COUNTY (TN) HIST REVIEW, Vol. XXV (1994) pg 53. In a letter dated November 2, 1862 from Camp Cold Water near Holly Springs, MS. "Gen Tighlman's Divison, much the largest of the two, made quite a fine appearance. They were all dressed and equipped exactly alike. THey al had on grey Caps and Coats with sky blue pants. THe coats are round abouts-the cuffs and collar trimed with blue. I got a good look at Gen. Price, Ven Vandorn, Gen Lovell & Gen. Tighlman, all of whom have command of a divison. Gen. Tighlman, I suppose, has about the best troops under him there is in the Service at the present time. His men have all been prisoners except Wall's Texas legion, numbering 15 hundred."
            Tighlman's command was at this time made up of men that were captured at Fort Donelson and released in the late summer/ealy fall and thus had to be resupplied and equipped. SO now we have a description of clothing from Columbus, also seeing how many places Columbus was sending stuff too.

Lee
            I presume you have already looked in the Confederate Veteran (1893-1932)? Therein you will find a wartime photo of a man, ID'd as having served in the 41st TN (this might be S. A. Cunningham), wearing a jacket very similar in appearance to those described above. The cuffs and collar are clearly a darker hue than the jacket material itself. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll dig up the photo "cite."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
            X