Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions About Non-Approved Venndors

Good Lord,
    Gentleman, why is it that we can't get 5 pages worth of posts about any thread on the Preservation folder. Why, they could build Wal-mart on the "copse of trees" and I dont think there would be 5 pages of outrage.

Here is the bottom line. When you open up Ladies Home Journal, Car and Driver, American Trout-fishing or whatever, you can't find an ad for everyone making a good lace table cloth, rebuilt Mustang carb or a fancy fly fishing vest. You are only going the see the ads of those who support that publication. Any one writing to Trap Shooting Monthly asking them to publish a list of every shotgun dealer in the U.S.? Then why would the AC publish an exhaustive list of every known vendor?

Take that one step further:
    There have been many posts about the AC misleading the newbies, streamers, farbs etc. (fill in the blank) by having this approved vendor list. I'm here with a litttle news flash: If anyone is using the AC as their only source of information then they are seriously mistaken. I've been here since day one, and I hold the AC as one of the best tools in our arsenal, however it should never be the only tool in yours. Are there really people who base their whole reenacting existence purely on what Chris, Kurt, Paul, or any of the rest of us say? God I hope not.

Here is really how your choice in gear should go.
    Identify Item that I need
    Study originals of said item
    Find any and all vendors that produce that item as per the original
    Now, and only now, you can decide who you want to get it from. If you like using these free forums, I would think you would choose from our list of supporters, if you choose someone else, you still end up with a great product, and you didnt even need the list did you.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by dave81276
      Would it really cost that much to change the letters "A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D" to "R-E-C-O-M-M-E-N-D-E-D"? Adding the moderately larger authenticated vendor section would take time and effort, but I think it would be worthwhile and constructive for us "unwashed masses". Besides, I have to say that I wouldn't mind a moderate monthly subscription price for this site, considering the great stuff I learn here.

-Dave Eggleston
      This argument is silly! I was told when I first started reenacting not to buy anything unless you were with a more experenced member. That bit of info still ring true today. I want the new members to buy not just the right gear but the more important stuff first. Anyways --The Description on the Link page tell you what you need to know. Read below!

AC Approved Vendors The Authentic Campaigner's Approved Vendors of Civil War reproduction equipment, wares and uniforms which are of the highest quality. These vendors support the AC through their generous donations and we encourage you to support them with your purchases
      [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Which argument is silly? I just think a review of suppliers would be helpful to the membership; if that existed, you'd have to highlight the supporting vendors somehow. As far as the subscription fee is concerned, the hassle of a minor monthly fee might discourage trolls.

-Dave Eggleston
        Dave Eggleston

Comment

Working...
        X