Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "reunion flags..."

Good Afternoon All
    I hope everyone down south is well hunkered down. Recently i have been involved in sewing a 1st National Flag for my unit. Useing the most natural dyed cotton bunting available as well as 100% cotton or Linen Threads im quite happy with my progress. While searching flags on the web, ive noticed a number of "reunion" flags. For the most part ive noticed battle honors on originals being evident on both sides, and not stamped as it appears on most of these reunion flags. (ive also noticed some abbreviatons are incorrect) So i would like to ask what are the outstanding differences between originals and these reunion flags. Also while constructing my own are there any outstanding details in method or materials i should be aware of?
    Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    14thNJVI
    ps-i had used the search function almost exclusively to gather the initial information for this project. it rocks!
    Last edited by Busterbuttonboy; 09-05-2004, 03:00 PM.
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: "reunion flags..."

Order "Colours of Gray" from the Museum of the Confederacy. This will help.

A couple of things to remember, reunion flags are just that. Abbreviations for battle honors are probably just different, not incorrect. (Is there a standard abbreviation for Fredericksburg? Nope.)

While I have viewed many of the flags at Washington & Lee and the MOC, I find most with painted honors. Rarely sewn. It is not too much of a stretch to go from paint to the stenciled lettering often seen on reunion flags.

Just a couple of questions.

What is your source for honors on your unit's 1st National? Actually, I would find this awkward in that you would need to remove and add honors, based on an event. Additionally, Why a 1st National? The vast majority of flags with honors I have observed are regimental battle flags, not 1st Nationals. You may want to check this out before making a mistake with an otherwise great flag.

Just a thought.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I do not intend to place honors on the first national as i have not seen one original with honors on it. More or less looking for helpful hints; Maybe some constructional idears to really make it standout, material hints, such as the proper buttonhole thread. Etc. Anything folks have noticed about originals they may have seen or discussed.
      The honors i am seeing on the reunion flags are more or less stenciled with a ink as opposed to painted as per the originals i have seen. Aside from that, what would set apart originals and reunion flags? Anything inpreticular?
      Most Respectfully
      Drew Gruber
      14thNJVI
      Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Here goes.

While sewn and metal gromits were used , the vast majority of flags I have seen carried by troops (as opposed to garrison flags) used stays instead. This is borne out on the staffs in the MOC collection. Of 135 flagstaffs, only thee or four use eylets. The remainder have grooves for the placement of stays.

Materials are varied. Last year while at the MOC for different reasons, I was asked to view an original Second National and a Veteran, post-war Second National. The differences were remarkable. Hand sewn verses machine. Deminsions (standard verses non-standard) and the workmanship on the veteran flag was much finer.

Rebecca Rose, curator of the flag collection, is a very nice lady. Email the MOC directly. She will respond.

Other than trying that, you may be waiting for other responses for some time.
        Ley Watson
        POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Working...
        X