Looking for an authentic Confederate unit to join

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an authentic Confederate unit to join

I am looking for a authentic unit to join. I would prefer a western confederate unit (AOT), which is my primary area of interest, but geography has made me truly a lost soldier, as I am in Maryland. Ancestry leans me to Arkansas units, but any unit with a tight group willing to help along a relative FNG to CW reenacting would suit just as well. Short of units near me, I would appreciate having the insight and help from any western units willing to assist this lost soldier do a top shelf living history impression to show the hordes at Gettysburg, etc. that there was another Stonewall and a whole other army outside of VA. Thanks for reading.

Trey Mangelsdorf
    Recruit from the ?? Regiment

Re: Looking for an authentic Confederate unit to join

I think you can get a lot of help from the authentic units.They should be on thel inks.
    Cullen Smith
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Trey,
      Check out our web site at www.libertyrifles.org

Good Luck!
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Yeah,I forgot about those boys.They are authentic man.
        Cullen
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

If you are serious:

Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Trey,

While not the AOT, check out www.stonewallbrigade.com.
            Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash
              If you are serious:

www.southernguard.org
              Pat,
              I believe in the original post that he mentioned something about being helped along. I'm not sure that diving into the SGLHA would be the best thing for one that needs to be helped along. Of course I suppose it depends on what areas we are speaking of.

Trey,
              Believe me, no disrespect intended here friend.
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Good post Jim....

Trey,

It's difficult directing someone to a particular unit not knowing where their authenticity level range is.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                Cincinnati

Comment

"Trey,

It's difficult directing someone to a particular unit not knowing where their authenticity level range is" - HOG EYE MAN

This is true. But, it looks as if you've got offers to check out the Liberty Rifles and Stonewall Brigade. Both outfits have made a fine reputaton for themselves...

But, I will say, "The West Is The Best!" If that's where you really wanna be, get used to long drives.

Good Luck Unit Hunting Trey
                  Last edited by JimConley; 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM.
                  Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

It's a positive sign that the young man is asking for help before just joining up with the first group that comes along.

At least he is moving in the right direction.
                    Mike Hinton
                    12th TX, Co. A

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley
                      Pat,
                      I believe in the original post that he mentioned something about being helped along. I'm not sure that diving into the SGLHA would be the best thing for one that needs to be helped along. Of course I suppose it depends on what areas we are speaking of.

Trey,
                      Believe me, no disrespect intended here friend.

Jim, none taken. I appreciate all the info thus far from everyone who has replied to my email. I will further elaborate on my general email posted earlier. I do WWII and WWI as well, both units I am in have very high authenticity requirements, so I can appreciate the caution expressed. I am looking for a strictly confederate unit; main reasons are finance and interest. Finance in so far as I can only afford to put together one quality impression at this time. It has been slow but the gear I am getting is good, accurate stuff, per EOG and numerous websites many of you are memebers of. The help I was referring to is basically informational and ways of making gear myself etc. Thanks

Trey Mangelsdorf

Comment

Originally posted by HOG.EYE.MAN
                        Good post Jim....

Trey,

It's difficult directing someone to a particular unit not knowing where their authenticity level range is.
                        Aaron,
                        See previous email reply, I could not agree with you more.

Trey Mangelsdorf

Comment

Well, when someone asks a question or opinion I'll give it. If I were in the East and wanted a unit to fall in with I would probably go check out the SGLHA. But then again, it's been a while since I was new in the hobby. That is of coarse not saying any negative remarks about the Stonewall Brigade or the Liberty Rifles, I just haven't been around any of their members before.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash
                            Well, when someone asks a question or opinion I'll give it. If I were in the East and wanted a unit to fall in with I would probably go check out the SGLHA. But then again, it's been a while since I was new in the hobby. That is of coarse not saying any negative remarks about the Stonewall Brigade or the Liberty Rifles, I just haven't been around any of their members before.

Spoken like a true Landrum!!!

Just messin' with you Patrick. :)
                            Mike Hinton
                            12th TX, Co. A

Comment

I aim to please Mike! Drop me an email sometime!
                              Patrick Landrum
                              Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X