Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining a Belt Buckle

Hi!

My current project I am looking into will be assembling a as authentic as possible VMI Cadet Uniform circa 1863-1865.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I would be able to obtain a reproduction "VMI" belt buckle? Either through already made or possible commissioning it to be made.

Any help would be appreciated! (Also if anyone knows of what style Buttons were used on VMI cadet uniforms, I.E. just plain brass or with VMI/VA printed on them, that would be useful for me !)

Thanks for your time!

William Richardson

Re: Obtaining a Belt Buckle

Comrades,

According to VMI's own website regarding their "reenactment battalion" found here:

They use recast VMI buttons, which they supply themselves. You might want to peruse the site regarding what they feel is an appropriate impression for a VMI cadet. Additionally, you might google "vmi buttons".

respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

:) I have contacted the group, as I am more than likely attending VMI in 2005. :)

But as it is the beginning of school, I have not recieved a timely response. So I was trieing my hand here in the forum.

William Richardson

Comment

Hello William,

The VMI cadet button is stamped brass with "V M I" across the bottom and "Cadet" across the top. There were two manufacturers of these buttons, R&W Robinson and D Evans, and several variations cataloged in Tice's book on button collecting. The Robinson button (Tice VAS294B1) is the one reproduced by Hanover Brassworks. If you do a google search on "VMI Button Evans Robinson" you will probably find one or two good pages showing the different styles. Your choices for making a reproduction uniform are limited to using the cast Hanover Brass buttons or a set of modern cadet buttons (which look more like the Evans -- Tice VAS294D2). Assembling a set of six original buttons will cost anywhere from $450 for Evans to $1200 for Robinsons. :o Hanover Brass also sells the correct cartridge box plate.

For belt buckles, you have to be careful. The "VMI" buckles offered by many sutlers are in fact not really period buckles at all. They're modern VMI buckles with period attachments, and each has a unique story. Your best option for a buckle is probably a simple forked-tongue buckle on a black belt. Upperclassmen or cadet officers might have used a two-piece round "Virginia" locket buckle, which is commonly available, or a Virginia militia plate.

The leader of the VMI Cadet Reenacting Battalion (VMI alumni, not officially affiliated with the Institute) is in the Air Force and may be slow to answer email. You may get quicker results from the VMI Civil War Roundtable (a VMI-sponsored group). Contact me offline and I can put you in touch with a contact there.
        Michael McComas
        drudge-errant

Comment

Working...
        X