This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon thread in ************ product?

An interesting bit of information for everyone's review. I recently purchased and I&C bag with mess tin cover and strap from Nick ************ through Skillet Licker. I recently noticed something interesting, the thread on the mess tin strap is NYLON. Yes, nylon. From supposedly one of THE best vendors? I have a picture of it compared to the same product from a well known leather worker in southwestern Missouri. I even did the burn test to confirm. The thread melted. The ************ one is on the left. To say the least, this is a bit disconcerting. The loss of the strap doesn't really bother me, it is the principle of the thing. Supposedly one of the best vendors using nylon thread invokes more than a little worry. What other shortcuts have been taken? I have chosen to not support this vendor from now on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mofedshirker; 09-12-2004, 05:07 PM.
    Steve Shepherd
    Veritas numquam perit

Re: Nylon thread in ************ product?

I would at very least demand a refund. I would expect better. :thinking:
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Before you performed the burn and melt test, did you bother to contact Joe at Skillet Licker to discuss the "defective" item? Joe is fair and honest with his business customers, I say this because I have known him for a very long time and he is a friend of mine. Any time I had a question, concern or problem with a product, he was more than happy to address it for me.

While I can sympathize with your discovery, talking to the vendor first may have yielded a better result than melting a portion of the product followed by a posting here.
      Pvt Rich Schultz
      6th NHV, Co. C
      Clifton Lodge #203 F&AM

Comment

Wow, I find this to be quite a revelation. I wouldn't encourage you to jump the gun until all the facts come in, but if this proves to be the case, it does sully Mr. ************'s reputation in my eyes as well. I really don't believe for a minute that Mr. Hoffmann would knowingly sell shoddy products, and am confident that he will take appropriate actions if alerted. Keep us updated, please.
        Michael Semann
        AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Steve,
          I wish you had written me first before you posted this. You sent me a mess tin without any strap whatseover for covering. I had the mess kit covered and provided a strap free of charge which was one I had left from two mess tin kits I received from the Thin Red Line. The price for covering your mess tin did not include a strap and Mr. ************ had nothing whatsoever to do with the strap, I merely added it as a convenience. I would suggest you simply discard it and purchase one from Serio.
          I am sorry for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience.
          Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Anyone who feels that they have received a "less than expected quality" product from an approved vendor should try to work out the problem with the vendor prior to posting their feelings here.
            Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
            X