First Invasion: The War of 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Invasion: The War of 1812

Been anxiously awaiting the premiere tonite of the History Channel's "War of 1812" docu-drama-mentry. It kicks off in just a few minutes. Might lead to some interesting discussion here later.

Studied 1812 in college - fascinating story, but one thats oft left untold. Good fodder for your Civil War living history knowledge base.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: First Invasion: The War of 1812

I'm hoping they'll do decent service to Winfield Scott, someone that is omitted from far too many history books.

-Andy Ackeret
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Been watching it, nothing about Scott, though really well done like most of there historical tv programs using good reenactors.

Comment

I'll spare everyone the invective I vented on other forums and simply voice profound disappointment. They not only gave no coverage to any of the actions along the Niagara Frontier, they weren't even mentioned in passing. Likewise they ignored the battles of Lake Erie and Lake Champlain. Imagine a presentation on the Civil War that totally ignores anything other than the action in Virginia and you'll know what I'm steamed about.

-Jeff

Jeff,

Forum rules require you to sign your FULL name to your posts. You promised to read/acknowledge/abide our rules when you applied to our forum.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

Please consider this your First Warning

Scott McKay, moderator
        Authentic Campaigner Forums
        Jeff Henion
        Columbia Rifles

Comment

Jeff,
          The north and western fronts were mentioned last night during the show. Detroit, etc no matter how brief were talked about specifically about how quickly they fell. Canada was also mention and the failed offensive that took place there. I didn't have high hopes for a 2 hour program to begin with. The historians used on the show are all published and have written about that period. Hopefully the show will peak the interest of some to further research that forgotten little war.
          Pvt Rich Schultz
          6th NHV, Co. C
          Clifton Lodge #203 F&AM

Comment

Having no knowledge of the period or conflict, I found the show informative. I'm sure that, as with all things, elements were missed and it wasn't complete. I agree that the show was restricted by the 2 hour format.

It did, however, encourage me to look into the conflict a little more, especially here in the DC area. Overall for me?:thumbs_up :thumbs_up
            Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

The treatment given was fairly consistent with "Civil War Macro views" which might show First Manassas, Chancellorsville, Antietam, and Gettysburg but leave out such important (but lesser known) battles as Perryville, Vicksburg, Chickamauga, etc etc.

With what they tackled, I think they did a fine job. There were glaring omissions but in 2 hours, that's to be expected. Would be great to see 2 hours on each year of the war.

The computer modeling was first rate and flowed rather seemlessly with the rest of the film. I'd like to have this one on tape. You're going to have to go to the written word if you want more depth, I suggest, "1812 (The American Story)" by David Nevin. Should be able to find it on Amazon.
              Paul Calloway
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I thought it was all first rate. The producers also did the shows on Boone and Crockett which were well done as well.

The 1812 period is fascinating and an interesting one to re-enact. The uniforming especially interests me.

Steve Abolt lives a few miles from me (he made many of the uniforms for the officers, etc.) and produces some unbelievable uniforms from the 1812-1848 period. All of it entirely by hand. Its a bit tough getting use to the tight fit of the sleeves and the sleeve length reaches the knuckles as was the fashion then.

The show is definately one to get on DVD. Here's a link if you want to explore more http://www.mississinewa1812.com/links.htm

Greg Starbuck
                The brave respect the brave. The brave
                Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Maybe I'm just being a grouch but I fail to see why it was necessary to dedicate more time to the story of the woman who sewed the flag that flew over Fort McHenry than they did to something as trivial as the single bloodiest battle on the North American continent prior to the Civil War. The fact that this site is now the location of a strip club and numerous shops selling tourist crap makes the ommision particularly ironic.

-Jeff

Jeff,

As mentioned above in your previous post, forum rules require you to sign your FULL name to your posts. You promised to read/acknowledge/abide our rules when you applied to our forum.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

Since you have already been warned, this is posted for purposes of consistancy.

Scott McKay, moderator
                  Authentic Campaigner Forums
                  Jeff Henion
                  Columbia Rifles

Comment

Jeff -
                    Apparently you didn't take education as a major in college. :) The effort has long been under way to "include" women and minorities in historical story-lines, even if it's to the detriment of more established (read important) material related to the subject.

I think the references to Dolly Madison and Mary Pickersgill were fairly well done, however. It provided interesting context to how the war was affecting non-combatants.

It was PC, but not overly so.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I think the disappointment comes because we expect a higher level or more scholarly approach to the program. It was limited by the 2hr format and what is deemed important has more to do with the ditor's opinion than anything else. Like I said before, maybe we should look at it as a means to cultivate interest in that particular period in our nation's history.

I follow up programs such as this by running out to the bookstore, library, etc and picking up books on that era or by the historians spotlighted. For a 2hr program, it covered more than my grammar/high school history classes ever did.
                      Pvt Rich Schultz
                      6th NHV, Co. C
                      Clifton Lodge #203 F&AM

Comment

I thought the show was very good as stated above for a 2 hour show. I was particularly interested in their treatment of the Battle of New Orleans. They left out alot of key stuff but got the gist of it. My CW Artillery unit is the Artillery crew at Chalmette and we protray the crew of the USS Carolina. Would have wished they would have addressed the navy a little more. I see Steve Abolt there yearly and he is great and knowledgable gentleman. I have said it for years that the War of 1812 is a forgotten war as is the Mexican War, Spanish-American, WWI, and Korea. Was glad to hear them say that they feel it is forgotten also.

The Battle of New Orleans by Robert V. Remini, who was on the show, is a great book about the battle. Cheers!
                        Timothy J. Koehn
                        Boone's Louisiana Battery
                        Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                        http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

I found the show pretty good, gave a decent high level overview of the war, and hit many of the high points. I wish more had been on the Great Lakes and the Navy really defeated the Brits there. However it did bring out information on the frontier which usually is not mentioned. I like the computer graphics, plus reenactors although they showed too many mixed regiments.

No point was made about Maj Armisted's son which was good as there was no point in connecting them in the subject of the War of 1812.

Two other fairly forgotten wars are the Mexican and Spanish American.

s/f

DJM
                          Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                          (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

I did War of 1812 living history for 14 years. I was thrilled to see the History Channel give it a semi-prime time slot. That said, they did leave a lot out. If you kept watching after the show, it was a hoot to see R. Lee Ermey in Mail Call, clad as a War of 1812 era Marine, firing pistols, muskets, Baker rifles, et. al. That was a gas.

Anything that reminds the public that Wo'1812 essentially established the form of the Federal Army for fifty years is good as far as I am concerned.
                            Bob Muehleisen
                            Furious Five
                            Cin, O.

Comment

I enjoyed the show as well, I wish they had made it a miniseries in order to be more thorough, but I was pleased with what they did discuss. They took the time to cover some of the politics, as well as social issues dealing with civilians. Learning about those topics is especially important to understand a time period. I enjoy learning about battles as much as the next person, but only learning about battles does not give you a complete picture on an era.

Getting Winfield Scott into "popular" history (IE, history presentations that the masses will see) will have to come another day, however.

-Andy Ackeret
                              Andy Ackeret
                              A/C Staff
                              Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Working...
                              X