Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-attaching front sight on Enfield

Hello All,
    This past weekend my front sight on my enfield broke off (Armi-sport repro) after repeated drilling with stack arms. I need to know best way to re-attach the sight besides taking to gunsmith. A gunsmith is my last resort. If this can be done by myself, I would like to. This has happened before and had a gunsmith re-attach it and when it broke off this time there was rust underneath the sight which tells me that there was a "air space" there and wasn't a good fix.

Thanks,
    Chris Smith

Re: Re-attaching front sight on Enfield

Originally posted by 26thKentucky
    Hello All,
    This past weekend my front sight on my enfield broke off (Armi-sport repro) after repeated drilling with stack arms. I need to know best way to re-attach the sight besides taking to gunsmith. A gunsmith is my last resort. If this can be done by myself, I would like to. This has happened before and had a gunsmith re-attach it and when it broke off this time there was rust underneath the sight which tells me that there was a "air space" there and wasn't a good fix.

Thanks,
    Chris Smith
    Chris, The same thing happened to a friend of mine on a Springfield. We took his to a local auto repair shop which had a mig welder that used .023 fine wire. He then tacked it in place on each side, There was very little heat and that's been two years ago. Good luck.
    Your obedient servant, Cpl. Roger Caldwell
    Roger Caldwell :)

Comment

Re: Re-attaching front sight on Enfield

Hi All!

A good suggestion...

I have lost an Eurorarms' Enfield front sight after 17 years (an hour before inspection), and a brass sight from a redone M1842 (the first night of an event).

These can be "home repaired" fairly easily with hard solders or even silver solder and a propane torch.
      The greater problem lies with the soldering process and soldering skills of the "solderer." such as "prep," fluxing, "tining," etc.
      A second problem lies with the solder being weak, and possibly popping free the next time one fixes/unfixes a bayonet- especially at a winter event...
      A third problem lies with the solderer's skills...

For modern use, I would recommend a more modern brazing process such as MIG, etc. The mild expense is offset by a greater sense of insurance and security that one will not be "knocked" out of an event because of a "knocked off" front sight/bayonet stud. ;-)

Of course, my "period" answer.. is to have it period brazed as were the originals...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
      X