Clear All

Re: Primary (PEC) impressions vs. Secondary roles

Hank:

Bullseye.

:D
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

keeping it real(istic)

Greg,

I think you raise some valid points. Event-specific impressions are the goal of most organizers I know, but always with some eye to affordability. For example, you will limit attendance if you require some esoteric item from every man in the ranks. For example, some years ago at the Averasboro Federal campaigner adjunct, we tried to sprinkle some Zouave gear in amidst the "plain vanilla" items that most of us have. That would have reflected nicely the likely distribution of such items with a Veteran Reserve Corps unit like the 117th NY, and didn't require that we go out and purchase stuff we'd never use again.

But that doesn't mean that a PEC kit wouldn't include a 2-rivet scabbard or both styles of canteen straps to cover Early and Late War events. These items should be fairly much SOP for anyone planning on a dual impression in my opinion.

Ditto for CS; you can often "get by" with "captured" Federal gear, and most event guidelines will list them as "reluctantly accepted," but a fairly generic CS kit isn't out of reach of most of us. A standard shield front cap pouch, a standard cartridge box (.69 caliber even if you're carrying a .58 long arm), these are something any dual impression Living Historian can aspire to or borrow from pards until his cash flow permits owning them.

PEC doesn't have to mean "limited," and event-specific impressions are usually within the reach of folks with a good PEC kit. Remember, we're supposed to be getting the gear so we can get beyond the gear. To do that, we need to have a decent PEC kit that will cover us at most campaigner events.
      Bill Cross
      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Re: Primary (PEC) impressions vs. Secondary roles

Comrades,
        I like to think of the "P.E.C." concept as the "Mr Potato Head" view of impressions. Basically, you have a generic as-issued kit that you modify to meet the event requirements. Adding brass numerals or corps badges, replacing the canteen strap, having a forage cap instead of a dress hat, etc.
        Basically, you NEED a P.E.C. impression before you can start to look at event-specific portrays. One is a natural progression from the other.
        Anyway, that's my two-cent's worth.
        Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Bueller? Bueller??

Come on people it can't be that bad! Tell me something new. Speak your mind, the old forum is back and most of the wannabes couldn't figure out how to re-register!

So make a thread or two! Anyone do anything different this summer? I would like to tour some NC sites this fall. If it isn't too rainy.
          Gregory Deese
          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Re: Bueller? Bueller??

Uhhh,

I'd just like to know if anyone's been to a museum lately. How about read a book, done some research, etc. instead of waiting to have it spoon fed to them...and then they get mad when you tell them to hit the library.

Seriously, more people need to do research and start sharing/discussing their findings. Remember when folks used to post stuff out of the OR's, images of originals, etc? That's where we need to go, not arguing over why I couldn't have my knapsack at some event or how to allieve chigger bites on one's privates. My useless two cents.

Neill Rose
            PLHA

Comment

Gents,

Enclosed is an image of a set of artillery corporals stripes housed in the Troiani collection (posted here with permission.)

These things sure weren't the standard herringbone twill you normally see! Just goes to show what sorts of things a soldier with money could get his hands on.

Discuss...

Best,
              Dan Wambaugh
              Wambaugh, White, & Company
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609
              Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger
                Come on people it can't be that bad! Tell me something new. Speak your mind, the old forum is back and most of the wannabes couldn't figure out how to re-register!

So make a thread or two! Anyone do anything different this summer? I would like to tour some NC sites this fall. If it isn't too rainy.

I'm trying to do an event up here in Boone the 22-24th, if youre in the area. Not going to be many of us though, it was kinda short notice. Realy though, it has been kinda slow, but I don't think a lot of people know the site is back up. The regular homepage doesnt work yet, and many may not check over at Szabo's.

The corporals stripes almost look like someone cut up some really nice shirting to make them. The gold looking thread is a nice touch too.
                Derek Carpenter
                Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Scout
                  How about read a book, done some research, etc. instead of waiting to have it spoon fed to them....
                  Been immersed in the Battle of Spotsylvania lately, and finishing up an article on one of my favorite subjects. ;)

I suspect the spoonfeeders shall return.

Charles Heath
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Comrades,

Well, I've been laid up the past couple of weeks with a nasty infection that turned into pneumonia. I posted a little here and there, but between rest and coughing spasms, I've tried to keep up on my reading.

One thing I am researching is Pharmacy in America prior to and during the Civil War. It was the war itself which helped propel local pharmacies into large, more efficient corporate giants, and folks like Squibb, EJ Lilly, etc, all got their start through trying to keep up with the huge demands from both massive field armies, and a polulation that was still increasing through immigration even as the war raged.

Interesting point is that, although most pharmaceutical makers were located in the North, the actual botanicals from which the medicines were compounded were in the South. When the war hit, and lines were drawn, Northern makers were suddenly faced with a real dirth of raw materials, and were forced to start their own large gardens and greenhouses and farms to grow the plants required.

In the South, some items were still coming from overseas, most noticeably Quinnine, and home-grown (literally) replacements were ineffective. The blockade raised many imported drug prices to astronomical levels, but it was the lack of laboratories for making the medicines that was more of a problem. By war's end, things were way up and up, and the need for new types of botanicals from which to make medicines was in full bloom.... so to speak.

What the war did was to not only increase the manufacturing base of pharmaceuticals, (so much so that by the time the new century rolled around, the USA would be the world's leading producer of medicines), but also forced a whole new and massive exploration into the properties of other plants and their uses in medicine and curative properties. The field probably learned more about the native fauna in that 4-5 year period than in the rest of our history, and it paid off.

Well, that's the lessons for today. It's hades being sick, but it's advantageous to the mind if you can find a little time to read and digest what's being presented.

Respects,
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

Neil,

About a month ago, I was in the archives at the GNMP. Measured up a haversack and a few pair of Schyulkill Arsenal Trousers. The one pair of trousers were terrible construction wise, missed seams ( especially on the yoke) and what appears to be the seams ripping out and being repaired ( who knows if it was by the original owner or later on by a collector) but even the repairs were hideous. Most of the trousers appeared to be un issued and had no wear. The interesting thing, at least to me, is that out of the 7 pair of SA trousers I have seen 4 had rounded back waistbands, while 3 had squared. I have heard of both being done, but I got to see it first hand. Always better to see in person. There was also a few pair of CS trousers, but being limited on time, I didnt get a chance to examine them. Im going back in a few weeks to look at a couple more items.

Comment

Casey,

Would you mind sharing your observations on the pockets of the SA trousers you were able to examine? Of the three SA pairs I have seen, ALL had mule ear pockets. Though one of these has a dubious provenance to the SA (the "SA" is hand inked rather than stamped, and the trousers show an overall lack of quality that makes me question them,) they nevertheless ALL have some manner of mule ear pocket. Two are rounded, one pointed.

I would be interested in your observations concerning the pockets so that I might add to the overall knowledge "pool" from which to start formulating a hypothesis. Personally, I've never sewn a pair of federal trousers with mule ear pockets, but from what I'm seeing they may be more common than once thought!

Glad to see that you're getting back into the community!

Derek,

The chevrons are actually woven silk tape with a wire running down the selvedge edge. They're something of a hybrid between cloth tape and metallic tape. Definitely top shelf stuff!

Best,
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Yep, we've been researching this summer. It was a sight indeed with five women on a stormy Friday afternoon in the Tennessee State Archives squealing over a hard-won piece of reference material needed for an event next summer. Then we commenced to reading aloud at the copier because we were too excited to wait for the copies themselves. I'm sure the Archives employees were glad when we finally settled into the chairs and read to ourselves, like good little girls. Research can be fun!!!!
                          [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
                          [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath
                            Been immersed in the Battle of Spotsylvania lately, and finishing up an article on one of my favorite subjects. ;)

I suspect the spoonfeeders shall return.

Charles Heath

Funny I'm doing the same thing (except the article writing). Trying to understand Upton's charge. I have walked that ground twice. But have gotten myself wrapped around a tree trying to interprete the battle formation coming out of the woods. My goal is to fully understand Uptons charge by next May's LH. Spotsy is one my favorite battles, still makes my hair stand on end to read about it. Different than other battlefields. Scary place.

Regards

Frank Lilley
                            "Spoonfed Mess"
                            Frank Lilley
                            Sore Foot Mess

Comment

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Thanks for the responses! Glad to see some folks are doing their homework, etc. I have no doubt there's lot's of folks doing research, etc; it just seems we get bogged down by the "feeders" and sometimes don't post our findings. Just as a statement, there's nothing wrong with asking for information, just make sure your making an effort to actually look for the answers in the usual manners & places.

Anyway, reasearch wise, I'm involved in way too much! There's the ongoing I&C research which I hope to share soon. There's also the CS leather survey at the MOC and the new CS blanket run project.

Charles, Spotsylvania...definately one of my favorite battles to study; a real psychological wake-up for Lee's army.

Neill Rose
                              PLHA

Comment

Dan,

All the pairs of SA trousers I have seen have the standard side seam pockets. Of interesting note, the one pair of William Deering trousers I measured up at West Point had Mule Ear pockets, but these were not original to the trousers. Seems the soldier had altered the original trousers to include this feature. I determined this because the pockets were handsewn, if this was manufactured it would have been by machine at least in theory as the Deering trousers were machine sewn. The inner facings of the pockets were of a different shade of sky blue, but thats not uncommon. So my guess is the material came from another item that was made of the sky blue kersey. When I go back to G-Burg and West Point, I plan to make a list of every pair of trousers and I will compile the info on them. I overlooked several pair, as at that time they were not on my list of things to do. Of these trousers were a pair of R&W contract Trousers, and several other pairs of mounted trousers.

Comment

Working...
                                X