Bueller? Bueller??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bueller? Bueller??

Some pockets from the GNMP SA trousers. All are side seam.

Also included are images of an SA Size 1 which appears to have been altered to fit someone with a smaller waist.
    Attached Files
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Scout
      "...Spotsylvania...definately one of my favorite battles to study; a real psychological wake-up for Lee's army."
      During a three week period of a six week Hell-on-Earth, visions of Sir Walter Scott's chivalry and Camelot came to a screeching halt for the ANV. While not as romantic as the Gettysburg Campaign, or as tragic as Hood's final gasp in Tennessee, the Overland Campaign brings to mind the sound and sight of two millstones grinding, grinding, grinding....

Originally posted by Frank Lilley
      "My goal is to fully understand Uptons charge by next May's LH. Spotsy is one my favorite battles, still makes my hair stand on end to read about it. Different than other battlefields. Scary place."
      Even Upton's story itself turns macabre before his life plays out at a young age.

I'm not 100% sure we will truly understand it come next May, but I believe we shall appreciate the men who fought there then far more than we do now. The size of the salient known as the Mule Shoe is difficult to grasp, at first. It is just plain big. There is one marker with an interpretive "carnage in progress" woodcutting illustration (on aluminum in this modern day) from the period, and it is located in such a manner as to make the topography instantly recognizable. It makes me want to go down there after a light snow, which typically brings out the features, and see how that image lines up with the snow dusting highlighting the remnant of the works.

In collecting the many passages of commentary from the men who were there, one fellow describes a comrade who has been wounded in the arm during the Wilderness fight. Rather than leave his comrades, this individual continues on with his company, in spite of his injury, and this fellow generally makes coffee for his mess, cooks a little bit, and tries to continue the best he can. I gather he is not able to handle a long arm. This man's corpse was found, hatchet in hand, attempting to assault the works with a mere handtool. Considering the brutal hand-to-hand combat that location, it was most likely not the worst tool he could have chosen. Reading the between the lines, this man died not for some obscure economic cause, not for the Union, not for the freedom of other men, but with his messmates, which is the hard diamond core of small group dynamics of the sort of esprit de corps, and cohesion, that has been analyzed beyond the edge of reason. This was no 30-day man, no sweet little stay at home man, shirker, or sunshine soldier. May he rest in peace. His story is but one of many.

Spotsylvania also reminds me of Shiloh in the way it is uncommercialized, quiet enough for introspection, and free from the constant hum of tour buses. It has even less monuments than Shiloh, too.

Charles Heath
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Casey and Brian,

Thanks for sharing the info and pictures. As I'm sure you're interested in seeing them, here are some selected images of the pocket areas of the three pairs of SA trousers I have looked at.

Of interest note in the first picture that the bottom of the pocket bag was simply topstitched closed, but left raw. In the second note the professionalism with which the bartacks were done, and the elongated watch pocket welt. In the third, (these are the trousers with dubious SA provenance) note that the watch pocket is merely a continuation of the mule ear pocket facing, and the two are seperated only by a bar tack. This also shows the remnant of the "S" that may or may note denote this as a product of the SA. Your guess is as good as mine!

Pretty neat, eh?

Best,
        Dan Wambaugh
        Wambaugh, White, & Company
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609
        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Brian,

those trousers that were altered were the ones I said looked like crap. I didnt look to hard at them, as I was going through the drawers trying to find the best looking pair of SA trousers for copy in the Reproduction ( which happen to be that size 3 pair you have pics of). I have pictures of those, but I am not good with computers so posting pics is difficult for me. I also have pics of the haversack.

Comment

Re: Welcome back

Now that's the old AC I was looking for! Thanks everyone.
            Gregory Deese
            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Guys,

Well lets see if I can pull off adding some pictures. Ok how do you do it? I see the insert immage Icon, however you need a website to use to do that, while I have a website, I dont do most of the work on it. Anyhow someone let me know how to attatch immages, or I can send them to you, to post for me.

Comment

Casey,

Below your text window there is another box with "additonal options" at the top. The second category in there is "attach files" and a button titled "manage attachments." Click on that and you should be able to open a dialog to attach up to ten images or other files directly from your hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Dan
                Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Originally posted by C.Osgood
                  Guys,

Well lets see if I can pull off adding some pictures. Ok how do you do it? I see the insert immage Icon, however you need a website to use to do that, while I have a website, I dont do most of the work on it. Anyhow someone let me know how to attatch immages, or I can send them to you, to post for me.
                  Casey, you can attach your photos without needing a seperate website host. Use the "Post Reply" button, type in your text then scroll down below below the "Submit Reply" button to "Additional Options". There you will find "Attach Files", and you can upload files through that.

Edit: Dan beat me to it. The attached example is from the LOC, I believe.
                  Attached Files
                  John Taylor

Comment

Hopefully this works, Anyhow here are the pics of the haversack I measured up in G-Burg.

Thanks guys,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now its just figuring out how to scale the photo's down so they are not huge.

Comment

Ah ha! A place to post our recent adventure--it doesn't belong under authentic events, because we were attempting to learn something, to be put in practice at a later date. Still, the research concept has merit.

A number of us in the Winston Free-State had done enough horseback riding (some in the very distant past) to know that we were a danger to ourselves and others in a period setting--especially if the necessity arose to rely upon a horse in a remote area.

We implored some members of the Critter Company to give instruction in a number of areas, in a workshop that we (not they) entitled "Horses for Dumb Girls".

As a group, our predominate impression tends to lower class, so we concentrated on relevant harnessing skills, horse care, and riding astride, using period saddle and tack, as well as bareback, through the rolling wooded mountains of Northwest Georgia.

The younger women were brave and beautiful and rode swift spirited horses without incident or accident. Patrick McAllister, Guy MusGrove, and Pete Peterson, and Patrick's ranch hands were patient, hard working, and long suffering. But we did feed them homemade ice cream, cookies, muffins, mexican food.... but then, they are accustomed to finding food in our vicinity, even if we fight them for it.

Me, they put a fine old Morgan horse--the same one Patrick brings out for the children in wheelchairs to ride--"Trust Victor, and hang on"
                        Attached Files
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Buy Stock in the AC

Lots of people have complained about the crash and wanted the AC to come back to it's former glory.

How many of you hardtack heads have donated to the old forum lately? If we did buy stock in the AC and if all the forum members, like 5,000 of them, gave just $5 bucks each ($25,000), I bet our "crash" days and lamentations over lost data would be over.

I don't know much about computer systems, but I would reckon that $25,000 would buy backup services and one whale of a website.

Maybe the AC could become a low cost "pay" site. Quality of service would increase and some of the riff-raff wouldn't bother to pay. If we could give a portion to battlefield presevation, then it's worth the nickle your paying when you log on.

1. The AC has supported many preservation efforts in the past.

2. Most of us will pay through the nose for cable and tv shows that have already have loads of advertisement.

3. Many of us, won't think twice before paying $25 or more for an event registration fee or more for a piece of gear.

I donated $20 today and challenge the rest of you to do likewise, this site is too valuable to let die. It has changed the hobby in a good way, otherwise we would have to conduct our discussions among people that have little or no interest in accurate history, that argue for the absurd, and care nothing about properly representing the ACW soldier. Lot's of people have opinions, few break open the check book. If you post, please donate.

If you have donated lately, then my comments don't apply to you, thanks for supporting this site.
                          Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Re: Buy Stock in the AC

These were the kind of discussions we use to have, the ones that didn't involve reenactors or politics, just good information, that could take lots of time to research or you would have to pay someone to get:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=5747

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=4060

It's worth preserving that information.
                            Gregory Deese

Comment

Gang,

If you make donations right now, they will go to Paul's old account. This place is still limping due to the limited amount of time I've had to begin rebuilding and the amount of time it takes. I've rebuilt three areas and have ten to go. Hang in there with me. Greg, I'm sure Paul appreciates the donation, but it won't go to the AC unless Paul does work now. He's called me and told me he's retired and doesn't want an active role. So until I get some things repaired, hold off on donations. When the home page goes live again, we're all repaired and ready.
                              Matt Woodburn
                              Retired Big Bug
                              WIG/GHTI
                              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

So how can we help?
                                Gregory Deese

Comment

Working...
                                X