Warmer Blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmer Blanket?

As the cooler nights approach, I would like some advice on blankets. Who makes the warmest ones? I hate to admit it, but I get really cold during the night at events. I've read some of the vender's web site descriptions on their blankets but I would rather hear from those that have tried some with success. I’ve also checked the Search function on staying warm and found some good ideas but nothing on which particular blankets were best.

Thank you,
    (shivering) Brian Wiswell
    Brian Wiswell

Re: Warmer Blanket?

The Charlie Childs Federal blanket (Danish Exchange blanket) has a super tight weave and is really good. I had it out in the mountains a couple of years ago and, with the aid of nothing else but a shelter half, did great with it.

But no blanket however good can do the whole job. Here's some tips for keeping warm:

Have some insulation between you and the ground. Hay, straw, dry grass or leaves, what have you. A spruce bough bed is wonderful if you have that option. Put gum blanket (gum side down) on top of your bed.

Roll up in combo of wool blanket covered by a shelter half. The shelter half protects against wind and really cuts down heat loss. The combination acts almost like a sleeping bag.

Some old campaigners actually sewed their blankets up like a sleeping bag; one finds instructions for this in period writings.

If you feet and head stay warm most likely the rest of you will too. Most heat loss occurs through extremities. Be sure to wear a wool cap and dry wool socks to bed. Always carry a spare pair of wool socks to change into at night for this purpose. Depending on weather you may want to sleep in your uniform or greatcoat.

Being a cavalryman I also have the option of using my saddle and a folded saddle blanket for a pillow (really works great, no kidding) or using the saddle blanket for added warmth.

Of course there is also that ancient and time honored practice of SPOONING.

Sincerely,
    Ken Morris

Originally posted by Brian Wiswell
    As the cooler nights approach, I would like some advice on blankets. Who makes the warmest ones? I hate to admit it, but I get really cold during the night at events. I've read some of the vender's web site descriptions on their blankets but I would rather hear from those that have tried some with success. I’ve also checked the Search function on staying warm and found some good ideas but nothing on which particular blankets were best.

Thank you,
    (shivering) Brian Wiswell

Comment

Aquire a good blanket from either Charlie Childs, Woodburn or catch a double woven coverlet made by Family Heirloom for sale on the forum. I've had my double woven blanket for 5 years now and hardly get cold once the frost wears off from being out in the wind. The best thing you can do for yourself if you can't stand the cold is to invest in a good overcoat. I have a civilian and US one and wouldn't part with them on a cold night.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Another trick used is sewing a extra sheet of fabric to one side, it adds little weight but adds a good deal of more insulation.

Here is a thread: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...hlight=blanket
        - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
        1st California Co. F
        Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
        -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

I am fortunate enough to own three original, attributed, Federal issue blankets. If they were reproduced in the weight they are the reenactment community would reject them out of hand. Have they lost their bulk due to age? I do not know, but they are thin by any measure you would wish to apply.
          If you are going to go the whole hog, look for the thinnest reproduction blanket you can find, freeze on the cold hard ground, contract arthritis or some other disease and die young!
          The overcoat is a great investment for the chilly seasons. Way back at the 125th Shiloh and 125th Franklin you could not find one for sale, they became a cherished part of the man, until the spring warmth.
          Steve Sullivan
          (somewhat with tongue in cheek)
          46th Illinois
          Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I feel the warmth returning as I read them. Seriously, thanks for the help.

Shiver-no-more,
            Brian Wiswell
            Brian Wiswell

Comment

Originally posted by 10nycav
              ... Of course there is also that ancient and time honored practice of SPOONING. Ken Morris
              True
              And not only will sharing a blanket add much warmth, there is no extra bedding weight to be carried.

Glen E. Hargis
              Glen E. Hargis
              Rackensacker Mess
              Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

A good method I've used several times in sub-freezing temps. (12 to 17 F.) is getting a hot rock from the campfire and putting it inside my blankets at my feet.(make sure it's just hot enough to hold with your hands without burning, otherwise, you may end up with blankets smoldering! I've had my best luck with a oilcloth under me and a gumblanket under my feet and draped up over my feet. A lot of times the cold will get you in the early morning hours from condensation on the top of your blankets. I know, it's not likely that an infantryman would have both an oilcloth and a gum blanket, but I don't like freezing. :wink_smil
                Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
                X