Things you would like to see at an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you would like to see at an event, I have seen

A full pontoon bridge was installed at the Sophia Street area in Fredericksburg back in December 2000, complete with the troops who were stationed in each boat to bail it. It crossed over to George Washington's boyhood home right across the river.

Old Bedford Village needs a little more money. But with the correct amount of funds it could easily function as a full village with a few extras.

I'd love to see a full-scale Concord stagecoach pulled by a team of horses arrive in town.

Noah Briggs

Comment

Re: Things you would like to see at an event, I have seen

Originally posted by NoahBriggs
      I'd love to see a full-scale Concord stagecoach pulled by a team of horses arrive in town.
      Ever wonder how Teamster Phil received his moniker? ;)
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Re: More singing would be a good thing...

Originally posted by AZReenactor
        Ken,
        It would indeed be cool to hear Hail Columbia or perhaps Yankee Doodle, My Country, 'Tis of Thee, or To Anacreon in Heaven at events more often. I wonder though, was it customary to require people to stand for these songs when they were still being sung as the unofficial national anthem or is that something that just came about after patriotism became merely a perfunctory formality indulged in at ball games or placed as a sticker on one's car by a populace who has little true knowledge of this nations history or heritage? ;)
        Please allow me to be more specific. This was our moden, currently used, National Anthem that was played. I can fault no spectator and some reenactors to not know some of the tunes you mentioned and act accordingly, but to not act accordingly to our current National Amthem is to me disrepectful. I realize that we can force no soul to even act patriotic, and there are no laws enforcing our customs.
        I'm not sorry to those I may offend when I say that that patriotism to me is much more then "merely a perfunctory formality..."
        This topic treads into the area of modern politics, so I will make an attempt to end it by stating that I simply wish to see more appropriate behavior during certain ceremonial situations.

Ken Zimmer
        17th Mo. Co. G
        The Western Blues Mess

Comment

Working...
        X