X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-paid to her full weight

This is the sinks, right?

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA], August 18, 1864, p. 1, c. 2

A Female Mallady [sic].—A re-union with an old friend with whom we campaigned several years ago, has brought to mind many pleasant memories. One of the most laughable and ridiculous was one that occurred to Maj. John L. Morgan, Quartermaster in this city. At Fort -----, where he was stationed, Indians visited constantly and in large numbers, making the place a familiar rendezvous. One evening the Major received from the Post office Department a large supply of Uncle Sam’s postage stamps, which he placed in a box in his quarters. These Indians were in the habit of going where they pleased, and appropriating anything that took their fancy. That evening, whilst the Major was absent on the parade ground, an Indian squaw, in prowling about the quarters, discovered the postage stamps. These creatures were not very luxurious or fastidious in their habits of dress, yet they would wear all the finery they could pile on. This squaw especially, whether because of poverty or choice, seldom wore any article of dress except a few brass finger and earrings.

In a few minutes she appeared on the parade ground with her naked body completely covered with United States postage stamps, admiring herself with much gusto. Screams of laughter greeted her appearance. The Major rushed to his quarters and discovered his loss, but he consoled himself by proposing that if she wished to be mailed, she should go through, as she was pre-paid to her full weight.—Atlanta Intel.

Vicki Betts

Re: Pre-paid to her full weight

Haha. Nice find.
    - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
    1st California Co. F
    Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
    -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Originally posted by vbetts
      This squaw especially, whether because of poverty or choice, seldom wore any article of dress except a few brass finger and earrings.
      I note with glee this 1864 documentation of a coastal Native clinging to a style of dress prelevant more than a century before. We normally go with the attitude that the majority of Native dress had been 'assimilated' by this point--and in most cases photo documenation in our geographic area proves that true, other than a possible excess of unusual jewelry --the piled on finery also noted in this account.

Still, we may find some excuse to use this account........
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I'm wondering where this happened, and if we tracked the career of John L. Morgan we might be able to figure it out. I'm guessing one of the more remote areas of California or Nevada.

I guess the fascination with "stickers" goes waaaaay back....

Vicki Betts

Comment

:o Aw piddle. I was misreading the context. I thought this happened near Augusta
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Miz Vicki Betts has dazzled us once again — this time with a frank discussion of a rather sticky situation at some post.
            It gives rise to the question: "is this a valid impression?"
            In any case, it DOES give an entirely new spin on the phrase "Going Postal."
            V.B. we are in your debt.

Glen E. Hargis
            Glen E. Hargis
            Rackensacker Mess
            Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

Working...
            X