Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliot Spitzer commercial

Has anyone seen this?

A sequence of black and white still photographs, with - are you ready for this? - "Ashokan Farewell" playing in the background.

Yuck.

(For those of you who don't know him, he's the Attorney-General of New York, running for governor.)
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Re: Eliot Spitzer commercial

And why shouldn't that music be used? That song isn't about the Civil War any more than it is about Elliot Spitzer.

Jeff Henion
    Jeff Henion
    Columbia Rifles

Comment

Bingo. Amazes me every time this comes up.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats the background music made up for the Ken Burns PBS Civil War series isnt it? Meaning good sounding tune, but not Civil War?

Ken Zimmer
        Last edited by Western Blue Belly; 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM. Reason: Forgot my signature

Comment

It's not just the song. It's the whole ad, made up to resemble the Burns documentary, to show him as the champion of the downtrodden.

Hogwash.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

The NYC Fire Department also uses the song as background music for its 9/11 tribute Flash program on its website.
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

O.K. I love Ashokan Farewell (Jay Unger, Swinging Door Music/BMI) a tune that its creator, Unger, called "a Scottish lament written by a Jewish guy from the Bronx."
              I trust that the campaign PAID for the rights to use the piece.
              I for one, don’t mind in the least Mr. S’s association with anything having to do with "Farewell" So Long" Goodbye" or "Don’t let the door hit you in the fundament on your way OUT"
              It’s not that I’m from the Empire State myself (‘though my prime persona is from around White Plains) I am, however tied to the insurance trade — ‘nuf said

Glen E. Hargis
              Last edited by Hargis, G. 5 A-1; 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM.
              Glen E. Hargis
              Rackensacker Mess
              Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

The Ashokan Reservoir is in the Hudson Valley in New York, hence the connection. When it was written the songwriter did not have anything Civil War in mind, it's just a kind of bittersweet, haunting melody that people seem to like.
                Bill Watson
                Stroudsburg

Comment

Working...
                X