Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 42 Springfield?

Greetings to all,
    I am going to be in the market for the purchase of an additional long arm and was wondering what your opinions were on who makes the best 1842 Springfield. I was considering a '61, but already have an Enfield, so I wanted something different. Plus I'd like to be able to do early war events, like Wilson's Creek and very early militia events.
    My current unit was issued Enfields during most of the war, but I really want a smooth bore to add to my other impressions.
    My family will be traveling to Washington DC area for Summer vacation next year, so I want to be flexible for early war or mid-war event. (Told the wife to be ready to take the kids to the mall, I'm going to don my wool for a few days).
    Thanks for the help.

- Jay Reid
    Dreamer42
    9th Texas
    Jay Reid

Re: Best 42 Springfield?

Jay,

The Armi-Sport is defiantly the way to go. It is probably the best out of the box repro on the market. The only negatives are the steel front sight instead of brass and the ramrod has a very large gargantuan head. I believe the lock will take original parts with the exception of the mainspring.

The sight can easily be grinded off and a brass one soldered on. The old ramrods had a much more correctly shaped head, but they where all dished out for the rifled version.

Dave Bushmole

Comment

Re: Best 42 Springfield?

Thanks Dave. Question: Could the rammer be turned down, or is that too difficult a task (keeping balanced and centered; not ruining the integrity of the temper in the metal, etc)?
      Is the wood around the lock correct? (I ask this because of the glaring innacuracies that need to be addressed on most Enfields).
      Also, what is a competitive price. I have seen as much as a $100 dollar difference in some (don't recall if Armi Sport, EA, or other). Also, price on a bayonet? I have seen repros go for $100. Who makes the most durable/authentic? I've wanted to get Roundball to Rimfire to make correct cartridges. Can anyone recommend any other publications that would help?
      While I'm at it...to make buck-n-ball does one just use (storebought) 00 buckshot and a .69 cal. ball, or are there moulds to make shot? - Also, would making my own shot (I already make my own .36 conical and round, and .58 minie balls) even be worth the effort?
      Just what you wanted, huh? You answer the guy's questions and he asks you more! :D
      Thanks for your efforts - much appreciated!

Jay Reid
      Dreamer42
      9th Texas
      Jay Reid

Comment

Working...
      X