Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Info!

Guys:

I am free-lancing for the Camp Chase Gazette and need some good articles to write about. I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight to what you think should be covered from our hobby that is normally not seen talked about. Email me your suggestions.

Re: Need Some Info!

Some military side articles I'd like to see in comphrehensive form:

Military supply acquisition/requistion of horses and mules for both armies. Forage and supply issues for the same.

Overview of identifying points of period military and civilian horse tack.

Military farriers, how that relates to smithing, and traveling forges

Types and uses of military wagons
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster
      Some military side articles I'd like to see in comphrehensive form:

Military supply acquisition/requistion of horses and mules for both armies. Forage and supply issues for the same.

Overview of identifying points of period military and civilian horse tack.

Military farriers, how that relates to smithing, and traveling forges

Types and uses of military wagons
      Now that would be an issue worth getting! Great suggestions!
      William L. Shifflett
      Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by easttnfed
        Guys:

I am free-lancing for the Camp Chase Gazette and need some good articles to write about. I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight to what you think should be covered from our hobby that is normally not seen talked about. Email me your suggestions.
        How about troops detached for cattle guard, handling the herds, and how the animals moved "down the line" from on the hoof to on the plate?
        Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
        Outpost III

Comment

How about an article on reenactorisms? Shelter half ends, Officers and NCO's that don't know their jobs and the like? How about an article on how to mentor a new unit member and how to answer their questions? How about an article on how to do reserch?
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Without getting too wrapped around certain SEC insider trading issues, I'd personally be very interested in an in-depth article with a tight focus on how a shrewd investment in Mike Shurig's velvet Elvis artwork has consistently outperformed the S&P index over the past fifteen years.

Elvis, the King.

Yes, this is The Sinks.
            Last edited by Charles Heath; 09-15-2006, 08:11 AM. Reason: Winslow Homer's ghost kicked me in the shin
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Information for those military guys who refuse to believe they had a citizen's life before the war, and will go back to a citizen's life after the war.

That Elvis thing is pretty amazing.
              Regards,
              Elizabeth Clark

Comment

"Free lancing" for CCG implies they pay something. In fact they don't. While you're certainly free to write for whoever you wish, my advice is to work with a more reputable publication than CCG, and yes, there's some very good reason I'm saying that.

That said, CCG seems to suffer these days from writers who seem to rely on reenactorisms and myth instead of hard research. Their other approach used recently--cutting and pasting from period manuals and army regs--is also not much better because it provides no interpretation of how things were REALLY done in the field, and heck, what's the point of cutting and pasting stuff that's already been printed elsewhere?

Consider contacting one of their more frequent writers of late--one Mr. Andrew J. Fisk. I particularly liked his article in the September 2006 issue of CCG. He may offer some suggestions on topics for future articles.

If you're committed to working for CCG, good luck. They need the help.
                Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 09-15-2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Guys:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into several of these as I thought they were excellent suggestions for cover articles. I thought I would check in and get your thoughts to add to the many that I already have. I've been working with this publication for five months now as both a writer and photographer. Look for articles that I write under my name, as well as J.K. Rayfield and J.R. Billings. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Why the pen-names? Next thing ya know, you'll tell me A.J. Fisk isn't a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne
                      Why the pen-names? Next thing ya know, you'll tell me A.J. Fisk isn't a real person.
                      Multiple pen names let editors use more than one of your stories in a single ish whilst maintaining the appearance of varied fare.
                      Thoth knows I’ve pulled that dodge a time or two m’self.
                      (The name on the CHECK is the chief concern)

Glen E. Hargis
                      Glen E. Hargis
                      Rackensacker Mess
                      Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne
                        Vote early. Vote often.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Same question but for civilians

What would be your article wish list for civilian topics?

My current (long, long term) article research topic is women's property rights, 1850-1865.

Anna Worden
                          [COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Book Antiqua]Anna Worden Bauersmith[/FONT][/COLOR]
                          [URL="http://annaworden.wordpress.com"][/URL]

Comment

I normally don't do civilian articles, however, I would do one if the CC editor asked me to do one for her publication. I guess I should since that would help some of the guys out there in the military side get an idea of where they would have come from before the war started. I am open to anything from the civilian side if you have any suggestions also.

I use pen names for the editor can publish more than one of my articles that have the same subject matter in the same publication. If not, then it would look like favoritism or what ever. Like one of the post said earlier, all that matters is that my name appears on the check.

Comment

If not, then it would look like favoritism or what ever. Like one of the post said earlier, all that matters is that my name appears on the check.

CCG doesn't pay anything for feature articles.

And in the past, reenactor periodicals have not had a problem printing multiple articles by the same person in the same issue. A few issues of "Civil War Historian" ago I had to articles in one issue as did Dusty Chapman. While it's rare, it has happened. How often is it that you can publish more than one good article in the same issue of the same magazine?

Comment

Working...
                              X