Need Some Info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Some Info!

I really think it depends on the audience. I like to be able to read an article, then go read some books on the topic if it struck my fancy. For that, I just need titles and authors, or locations for on-line archives of original books. I like annotated bibs, but if editorial space is tight, you can bet the comments will be the first cut. Some publications will be more likely to keep an annotated bibliography intact. The casual reader may not read them at all.

What you might look at: doing full versions of your articles for on-line reading, complete with your notes and comments, and preparing shorter "excerpt" versions for hobby publications, with shortened reading lists rather than full source lists, and a way to get with you for the full, expanded version. On the topic of egg whisks, for instance, you'd have a huge paper with notes... for a hobby publication, you choose an aspect or two of period egg whisks, create a short article (maybe with a period recipe involving use of an egg whisk and a diagram or two of shapes to look for), with very short source information inside the text, and information on how to find the expanded research you have on-line or in small published form, etc.

(Me, personally--I adore footnotes and comments. I love Terry Pratchett as an author because of the footnotes in his fiction. I love my annotated Alice in Wonderland. But, I'm a confirmed language geek.)
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Thank you for your perspective Elizabeth. That gives me a different way of looking at it. I was thinking an annotated bibliography as part of the article rather than something longer to find space for. Good point.

I also enjoy footnotes for both non-fiction and fiction. In non-fiction, I find it easier to look at the bottom of the page to take a note of what I want to go look up rather than having to flip to the back of the book to look through endnotes.

I have trouble cutting things or leaving things out. I actually feel guilty for not providing the full story. This happened when I started writing an article on straw bonnets. I became so immersed in the production information that the article became a booklet. The actual article that was submitted was just one section of the booklet. I have the same situation with shawls now. (the domestic stats are so incredibly fascinating… at least to me.) What you are saying is a good idea though. This way there can be two versions, one condensed and one in-depth. Thanks.

Anna Worden
      [COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Book Antiqua]Anna Worden Bauersmith[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [URL="http://annaworden.wordpress.com"][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by easttnfed
        Kevin,

Instead of bashing the publication about the amount that they pay or saying that they do not pay, it would be nice to receive some form of insight to what you would like to see put into the publication.
        How 'bout a dead fish!
        Bill Young
        WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
        Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by easttnfed View Post
          I also got to sit down and look through many past issues and get a good idea on what articles were already done so I would not possibly write one in similar context to those already written.
          Jeremy,

By any chance would this "in similar context" statement extend to articles about canteens and bayonets?

Just wondering.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
            How about an article on reenactorisms? Shelter half ends, Officers and NCO's that don't know their jobs and the like? How about an article on how to mentor a new unit member and how to answer their questions? How about an article on how to do reserch?
            GrumpyDave,

Its been done, but it was a good input. I love reading through one of those articles and the going to a mainstreamer event and seeing how many I can point out. The articles are actually quite funny sometimes.
            Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
            [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
            [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
            The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Yank View Post
              How 'bout a dead fish!
              I believe that Mr. Young has made the point as eloquently and succinctly as humanly possible.

Cheers.
              Robert Wiseman
              Robert Wiseman

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained." Walt Disney

Comment

I typed my true feelings on this topic out, then deleted the post. It was very cathartic!

Long Story Short:
                CCG is not an approved vendor. Why allow "contractors" for a non-approved vendor to use the A-C and its members to do the legwork to better their product? Volumes have been written on "what's wrong with..." the CCG. IMHO, they have all the info they need to make a better product, they simply need to choose to do so. Would we tolerate a seamster for "Dry Gulch Sutlery" to post on "how can I make my barney coat better", then hold US responsible for his bad product if we refuse to give a detailed analysis?

Given the recent unscrupulous behaviour of that publication, I am baffled how this thread has lasted so long on a sight that is supposed to espouse higher (dare I say "scholarly"?) standards of research and documentation applied to Civil War living history.

C'mon folks!!

(PS - I hit "submit" and saw Mess'r Wiseman's post. Right on, Rob!! Right on, Bugs!!!)
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

I take it you have seen the latest two instances of Xerox journalism?

If not, grab an air sickness bag before you look.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Jeremy,

I believe your inquiry is very sincere. I just hope you realize that your timing may be a bit bad. The CCG is under the cloud of serious plagarism charges right now. I believe this may have soured may peoples opinions of the publication. This may be why you are getting some mixed opinions right now. The plagarism wound is fairly fresh and any CCG talk right now is really just scab picking. CCG will really need to do some work now to gain the confidence of the reenacting community and I believe this is where they should focus their efforts. I suggest avoiding pen names for now as this only insights some suspicion instead of trust as far as sources and research.
                    Just my 2 cents.

Jim Butler
                    Jim Butler

Comment

Jim,

Pssst, this is not the 1st scab, but the 2nd and 3rd scabs in a subsequent issue.

Hard to believe.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                      X