Robert Land boots and shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robert Land boots and shoes

I purchased a pair of his Fredericksburg shoes used from a guy about 8 or 9 years ago. I have to get one sole re-pegged but other than that they have given me excellent service.

Bryant Roberts
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I recently recieved a pair of Mr. Land's Federal bootees and couldn't be happier with them. They appear durable and well made, and more than comfortable. Wore them at a 1 day living history and got some great comments on them.
      Thanks,
      Patrick Skeese
      "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
        after reading this thread, I knwo were I am going to get my next pair of shoes from. They seem to have a large selction of shoes, and I look forward to purchasing a pair.
        Andrew,
        I am not quoting your comments above to pick on you, rather I think that you unintentionally brought up a train of thought that needs to be addressed by the hobby.

All,
        There is no doubt that Robert Land offers some well made products, but after two pages of posts, Ian McWherter is the only one that mentioned anything about how his shoes compare to originals. This discussion is an example of some of the troubles with progression of authenticity. Sure, anyone can buy shoes or a coat based on the hype, and it may be the best thing going, but how is that item authentic or how is it not? Those are the questions that need to be asked.

Don't buy your kit because the maker is an "approved vendor" or because that's what the cool cats are sporting, pick it up because you know what makes it authentic versus all the rest. None of us are experts on this stuff, but by doing a little research and asking educated questions I would hope that we could see more constructive discussions that might motivate... progression.

Thank you, Ian for offering important comments on the subject.
        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Hi,

What I ment by my post, was that it looks like you can trust this vendor, and that he seems to have "authentic" products. I have looked at his site many times, and had never heard anything about this vendor. Basically, this thread just seems to confirm what information I could find on this maker. I can assure you, that I would not have wrote the earlier post if I had not already done research on this vendor. However, you do make a great point, and in the future I will make sure to better explain myself. Thanks

Andrew
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Some might note that I started this thread nearly 5 years ago and in the last couple of days, it has been continued. As Jim states, what I was looking for was feedback on authenticity especially. Thanks Ian for providing some good feedback. Once Corner Clothiers began carrying his shoes, that was a good vote of confidence as well.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Well I tried to keep my post short and sweet, I've been accused on other forums for leaving "big posts", whatever the heck that means. Maybe I should elaborate further.

I turned to Robert Land's footwear after studying many examples of original civilian footwear, basically I wanted the type of shoes that a humble businessman, a poor office clerk or a man on his way to church might wear. Not to knock any other maker, but say you're a civilian employed as a clerk in a government office, you're not going to show up to work every day in clunky brogans (they had standards then too). His is the only footwear that's manufactured with high quality calf skin and kid skin uppers, as many original civilian shoes are. He also has a period last making machine that allows him to copy original lasts exactly, which gives his shoes that great narrow look with a small square toe that was all the rage in the mid-19th C. He's also one the only makers I know of that shapes his heels nicely, rather than leaving them bulky or straight on the sides (you should see just how shaped some period heels are, think modern cowboy boots).

Having said all that I still feel that most, if not all, current reproduction civilian footwear still misses the quality mark to some extent, even Lands. To his and others defense, its just a matter of time and cost of materials, who wants to pay $500+ for a pair of shoes? So, I've started teaching myself how make footwear to better approximate the details I've seen on original civilian boots and shoes. I want a pair of boots with cork filler in the soles, talk about comfort!
              Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

I have owned boots, shoes, bootees , and even my Colonial shoes made from Mr. Land. I have met him on several occassions and find him to be very reasonable especially for those who need a proper fitting shoe made to your actual measurements.
                Here is his link: www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com
                I hope this is of some assistance.
                YOS,
                Chris Fisher
                [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                1st NY Mounted Rifles
                Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

To all-

I have a pair of Robert Land Federal-issue brogans. They are 11-years old and are extremely comfortable. They have lasted with no maintenance this whole 11 years of hard use. This weekend past, they finally have a small hole in the left sole from all of the Missourah rocks...

Mine are accurate to examples that I have seen. My only complaint about them is that there is a "Robert Land Canada" stamp in them that I had to put dye over to cover.

My 2 cents... Johnny :wink_smil
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McWherter View Post
                    Well I tried to keep my post short and sweet. Maybe I should elaborate further.

I turned to Robert Land's after studying many examples of original civilian footwear.... He's also one the only makers I know of that shapes his heels nicely, rather than leaving them bulky or straight on the sides (you should see just how shaped some period heels are, think modern cowboy boots).
                    !
                    Sorry to resurrect such an aged post!, but I am curious to see some period images of the heels that Mr. McWherter has mentioned above. I have been doing some searching, but am fairly anxious to get a 'quick fix' (modern mindset I suppose!)

Any help (with verifiable provenance) would be greatly appreciated!
                    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
                    [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
                    -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Comment

After an authentically long mail order wait, I finally picked up my Robert Land enlisted mans boots today.

Sorry to say, but there won't be another! No heel plate (as advertised and shown) made from the fuzziest suede I've ever seen! (Looks like a 70's afro!).

Disappointment is the order of today!:cry_smile

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."

Comment

I too, like Johnny have had great sucsess with my brogans. They are about 20 years old, however, they was a period of about 6 years that they weren't used because I was employed by Uncle Sam and other responsibilities. Very heavy duty construction. Sorry to hear of your troubles English Doc. Some of the best out there making equipment and such will at times turn out a dud.

Thanks,
                        Brent Conner
                        Eastern Shore of Maryland
                        Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Good evening gents,

I too have bought his shoes and I have no complaints. Reasonable and the first pair I have, I worn them for about five years before I needed another pair.
                          Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Even though the boots are NOT what I asked for, as of today I cannot fault Mr Land's integrity, passion for his craft or his customer service.

Just a damned shame about the boots.......!

Comment

Ken,
                              Have you contacted Land about your issue? Give him a chance to make it right. You might be pleasantly surprised.
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Yes, recommend contacting Mr. Land to resolve the issue...last year I had a BRAND-SPANKING NEW pair of his 'Georgia Shoes', first event I wore these to, I had catastrophic failure (all pegs pulled right on out and as a result the stitching began to come undone in other places).

I shot Mr. Land an email, and then mailed the shoes...4 weeks later they arrived back at my door and have held up well ever since.

Paul B.
                                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                                (Loblolly Mess)
                                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Working...
                                X