Modified Overcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Overcoat

I have a secondhand Federal Cav Overcoat that I think might be a Jarnagin. I use it as a Confederate capture when it's really cold out. Because it has no great value, I wanted to do some experimenting with it. Has anyone come across any examples of outside pockets added to a Federal overcoat? I did try the search function BTW. Thanx
    Frank Perkin

Re: Modified Overcoat

Well, using the search on the "other forum" I found a referance to a field altered coat with a slash pocket on the left side. The referance was made to a coat found on page 155 of EOG Arms and Equipment of the Union.

Comment

Re: Modified Overcoat

Paul McKee owns an original Civil War Federal dismounted overcoat that was modified. He wrote an article that included it in the "Company Wag" many years ago. I modified my overcoat based on this one. The coat had been altered by removing the cape and sewing a small Federal button at the back of the neck, presumably to reattach the cape when wanted. This may prove to be difficult, since Jarnagin sews the cape right into the collars. The vast majority of originals that I have examined have their capes simply stitched to the base of the neck from the outside. The second modification was two pockets added to the front, just below where the equipment belt would be. It was a simple horizontal cut through the fabric with the pocket inside the coat. The pocket itself was made from the same material as the coat. Perhaps Mr. McKee will chime in on this discussion.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
      X